Lev
    You Guys Riding?

New Mojo HD Creak --> Going Crazy...

Looking for suggestions. I have a plasticy type rub creak that occurs during heavy pedaling on my HD, regardless of being in or out of the saddle. The sound seems to be coming from either the bottom bracket, shock mount, links, or possibly headset. I'm running out of ideas on what to do.

So far I've:
    - Removed/regreased the cranks/bottom bracket assembly and threads.
    - "" pedal threads
    - "" rear thru axle
    - "" fork front axle
    - "" stem bolts
    - "" headset
    - "" mojo chip bolts
    - "" shock bolts

I think that's it. The only thing I haven't done is take apart the links. I did remove the shock and cycled through the travel and everything in the bearings feels smooth, so I don't think they are the culprit.

Would definitely appreciate any advice. Is taking the links off a major PITA? I don't have a torque wrench and was a little hesitant about taking those apart. I'm wondering if I have a lot of gunk in there from winter riding. The other possibility is a crack in the frame, but I'm having a hard time finding one.

Thanks,
    Lev

mtbr member
    i had popping noise coming out of somewhere, also under heavy pedaling only, that i thought it comes from head tube/headset. did take it apart couple times but it didnt help. this past winter i basically took the whole bike apart to do major maintenance, put it back together and popping was gone. now last couple of rides it came back again. annoying. sorry for not really helping, but it could be anything.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Before you look into the pivots make sure it isn't the rear brake or rear derailleur cable moving or rubing and making noise. The full cable runs on the HD are much better than on the original mojo. The cabe ferrules on my mojo c used to creak like crazy whenever they got dirty. On my HD I've only had a little noise when the cable tie near the downtube protector broke and allowed the cable to move.

No dabs.
    Creaks are maddening, and unfortunately the sound can be similar for a variety of issues. Over the last couple months I had a horrible creak develop and it turned out to be a bad XTR rear cassette. Fixed that a couple weeks ago, only to have a mystery creak appear Monday. Getting home I checked the usuals, then found one of my chainring bolts had busted.

A rear quick release not tightened enough has caused me creaking several times even when I swore it was coming from BB area, so I'd advise you to cinch that down tight. Also check your derailleur bolt and hanger bolt are tight.

Links are pretty easy to remove, and should be taken off and cleaned pretty regularly especially after winter. Good to pop off the seals from the bearings and regrease those. Mine were bone dry after less than a year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If your running a Sram type 2 derailleur, that coul do the creaking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Tighten BB cups(loosen and put some grease on threads and on end that snugs up to the frame=then snug back up)... Put a little grease on seat post.. Put small piece of rubber between seat and rails..

Weapon of Choice
    My creaky HD was found in the rear thru axel. Tighten and greased and good to go.

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Same problem, thought it was BB so replaced that and its still there. Sounds like it comes from the bottom somewhere, only happens if i'm putting a lot of torque into the pedals. Oh well , ride bike.

_____
    Jul 2007
    +1 to pulling the links and bearing seals and replacking with grease, especially the lower link. I live in dusty Arizona and this usually fixes any creaks. An inch-pound torque wrench is a good tool to have for working on your HD.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Maybe a pedal bearing?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Lower Rear Link Bolt...the one attached to the rear triangle comes loose and causes a crack/creak.

Pull the crank put an allen key in one side and torque wrench on the other.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: New Mojo HD Creak --> Going Crazy...

I've had two issues recently that drove me nuts as well.

Beleive it or not, one of the cable housing end caps was rubbing in the frame cable holder and making a crazy creak. Took me forever to locate the issue. Really a fluke that I found it. This made noise as the rear moved through a small amount of travel.

Second creak under hard pedaling ended up being something between my blackspire chain guide and bottom bracket. Took it all apart. Cleaned it. Greased it. No more noise.

Hope this gives you two more things to check.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I read on the turner forum that the derailleur hanger was the common cause of a creak.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    +1 on checking the pedal bearings.

My last creak drove me nuts. Looked at the BB, bottom link, chain guide bolts ... turned out to be a pedal bearing

Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Maybe a pedal bearing?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Nice. Just read through all the suggestions. Thanks folks! Much appreciated. Will check all the above when I get some free time to wrench. Probably won't be for a couple days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've ended creaks by layng the bike on its side and putting penetrating oil on the pivot bearing / link interface. 12 hours per side.
    Did you try removing the pressed in headset bearing holders and greasing before assembly? Good luck! My Hd has been silent for over 2 years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69 View Post
    My creaky HD was found in the rear thru axel. Tighten and greased and good to go.
    Ditto. The rear maxle can work itself loose over time so make sure it is threaded in fairly tight. Then clamp down the cam per the manufacturer's recommendation. The other source was spoke tension on the rear wheel. Are you running the stock Stan's wheel set by chance? A buddy and I both had this same creak and the factory spoke tension was a little lacking. Retension the rear wheel, make sure the maxle is tight and voila!

Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    +1 to pulling the links and bearing seals and replacking with grease, especially the lower link. I live in dusty Arizona and this usually fixes any creaks. An inch-pound torque wrench is a good tool to have for working on your HD.
    The links are easy to take apart and clean. Seems like all full suspension bikes will develop creaks in the links over time.