mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New Mojo - Chain Question

I picked up my large Mojo with customized SLX kit last week. I have spent all week building her up and I'm stoked to take her out for a ride but I'm still fussing with the chain length.

Seems that Ibis' recommendation is to use 112 links but this fully relaxes the rear derailleur when at middle front (32T) and one-but-smallest rear (12T). Emperically I find that 108 links keeps tension on the derailleur when using smaller gears while it looks as if big front/big rear/full shock compression doesn't tension the derailleur to its fullest capacity (derailleur arm points 4 o'clock). I'm using a 11-32T XTR cassette, 22-32-44 XTR chainwheels, and long-cage XTR derailleur.

Am I missing something perhaps, and should I add a few more links to avoid chain or shifting problems I haven't considered or experienced yet? How many chain links do most people use on their Mojo?
    Last edited by Hulahoo; 06-16-2007 at 03:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Start with 112 and see how it works. If you need to go down, go down from there.

flow where ever you go
    I'm with 11-34 in the rear and 110 links works great.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I started with 112 but went to 110. I was as low as 108 due to an error but I had to be careful not to cross chain.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 4212darren
    I started with 112 but went to 110. I was as low as 108 due to an error but I had to be careful not to cross chain.
    What made you go back from 108 to 110? Did you run into any issues with 108 links? What sprocket configuration does your cassette have?

I am leanings towards 108 based on my derailleur tension in big/big and small/small but with 2 riders so far using 110, I may have to give this a try.

www.derbyrims.com
    Minimum chain length is found on the Mojo (and all but the biggest downhill bikes) by wrapping the chain without derailleur chain tensioner around big-big gears and add at least 2 links.

This ia 108 links minimum on the Mojo with long cage (I just counted). EDIT: with 11/34 cogs and 22/32/44 rings.

Any less and you will damage your bike, because the effective chainstay grows longer during travel.
    Last edited by derby; 06-20-2007 at 09:50 AM.