mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New Mojo Brakes?

Thought about posting this on the brake forum, but I thought I would give it a shot here first. I have a 2009 mojo w/ a 2008 SX (hayes stroker) build kit. The stroker's have been ok, but I had to file down the pads because they are wider than the brake track. Also there have been times when I have wanted more power. I am 6'0 200lbs and I like riding pretty much everything, but I have been having a lot of fun on some more rocky technical steep stuff that seems to benefit from better braking performance. A new Mojo HD would really be the ticket, but I can't afford one so I am looking to improve my brakes.

I am settled down to either the Hope M4's, Formula R1's, or Formula the Ones. I know the Elixr's and Magura's are nice too, but I am not really interested. Any reason to spend the $150 more on the formulas?

mtbr member
    i'm going with Hope Tech M4 203mm front, Tech X2 183mm rear, floating rotors on my new build.

my mechanic has the M4's and raves about them so i decided i'd give them a shot.

if you are interested i can sync you up with him for a good price.

mtbr member

R1's.

Definitely get the carbon blades though, so that I feel better about spending so much..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Mojo Brakes?-r1s.jpg  

www.derbyrims.com
    Have you tried larger rotors?

With my '06 Mojo's OEM Hayes low end brakes, at 200+ lbs ride weight, I found more power and better modulation going to 180/160mm Marta SL wave rotors with the same Hayes brakes. I've since gone to Formula K24's with 205/180mm SL rotors, the front rotor size is overkill but they still modulate well with one finger, and the power is intoxicating!

The rear suspension can modulate a lot more power and grip before skidding compared to most other suspension designs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Upping the front rotor size is an excellent suggestion. I run a 203 / 160 combo on my bike (elixir) and they stop me very well with good modulation. That said, if you want the best power irrespective of rotor size, go with the 2010 the ones. Search the brake forum for the comprehensive brake test conducted by a british magazine on an expensive brake dyno on almost every imaginable brake out there. The new one performed exceptionally well, only coming in second on power to the saints but at a much lower weight!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild
    Thought about posting this on the brake forum, but I thought I would give it a shot here first. I have a 2009 mojo w/ a 2008 SX (hayes stroker) build kit. The stroker's have been ok, but I had to file down the pads because they are wider than the brake track. Also there have been times when I have wanted more power. I am 6'0 200lbs and I like riding pretty much everything, but I have been having a lot of fun on some more rocky technical steep stuff that seems to benefit from better braking performance. A new Mojo HD would really be the ticket, but I can't afford one so I am looking to improve my brakes.

I am settled down to either the Hope M4's, Formula R1's, or Formula the Ones. I know the Elixr's and Magura's are nice too, but I am not really interested. Any reason to spend the $150 more on the formulas?
    Always the Formula's
    I am looking to get The Ones, only slightly heavier, but with a lot more power.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the replies! I am probably going to go with the hopes. I did think about going up in rotor size and probably would have done that, but there are enough things I haven't liked about the strokers to justify new brakes (or at least thats what I tell myself). Anyone tried to fit hope floating rotors w/ easton havoc hubs and a talas 32? I know there are problems with those rotors, CK hubs, and a Fox 36.

mtbr member
    Anybody try or hear review's on Formula's RX-1 ?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by VTmojo
    Anybody try or hear review's on Formula's RX-1 ?
    I read somewhere, maybe a magazine, that the Formula R1's have plenty of power and modulation feel for XC riding, but the pads are small and wear out rather quickly.