Thread: New Mojo

Lost
    Dec 2009

New Mojo

Okay, Here is the deal. I am in the midst of building my new Mojo. I am a Clyde@245 pounds. I am also a pretty aggressive rider. I am currently ride an 06 Slayer 70 that came in at 34 pounds. I had no intensions of buying a Mojo. Ounce I saw my buddies though....I had to have it...lol
    I have a Fox 36 Talus on the Mojo now. But I have a Fox 32 Float 15mm in the box. I am having a hard time with the wheels. I really like the Crank Brothers Cobalts. But they are on backorder until end of February. I want to get the bike down in weight yet keep it strong enough for my weight. The other wheels I was looking at are the Mavic Crossmax ST. Or should I go with the Iodine's?
    How much abuse can the frame,fork setup take?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 210Mojo
    Okay, Here is the deal. I am in the midst of building my new Mojo. I am a Clyde@245 pounds. I am also a pretty aggressive rider. ......

How much abuse can the frame,fork setup take?
    I don't know maybe you can tell us.

No one seems to be able to break the Mojo without slapping the swingarm on a tree or rock really hard.

Lost
    Dec 2009
    lol, That's good to know....

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Eventhough there is no weight limit on the Mojo....I'd look at the HD instead of the standard (or SL). I wouldn't erally be worried about the durability of the Mojo....but the rear swingarm on the standard is not going to suit you if you ride pretty aggressively (considering your weight). If you were riding XC, then maybe ok.....but since you describe yourself as an aggressive rider, I would lean to the HD. Of course everyone's definition of "aggressive" is different.

This kinda confuses me though

I have a Fox 36 Talus on the Mojo now.
    Aren't you looking to buy one? Did you mean the Slayer?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've run the Cobalts for a season now & I wouldn't get them for your weight.I'm 150 lbs.& my Mojo SL is 22.83 lbs.& I've had spokes come lose & the wheel go out of true a few times.I ran a set of Mavic SLR's for ten years & never touched a spoke,rims stayed perfectly true,that would be a better choice @ the same weight.Iodines would probably work for you as well.

Lost
    Dec 2009
    I am hoping to get the bike down around 26-27.5 pounds. I have decided against the Cobalt's this morning...lol figured I am just to big for them. The SLR's seem to have a lot of issues with service. And if they make noise, I will toss them. I was looking at the Iodine's this morning. thinking this is the way to go.

I have both 2010 36 Talus and 2010 32 Float 15mm. I had a change of heart after I installed the Talus. The bike is currently @ 29.5 pounds.

Aggressive. I ride dirt bikes, very hard, mostly trails. I spend most of my time on single track between 3rd-4th gear. I also ride the track. Plenty of jumps. I brake dirt bike...lol

I also ride a 08 Demo 8. I want to sell the demo and turn the Slayer into my down hill bike...
    This kinda all sounds a little foolish now that I am reading it....lol

Thanks for all the replys

mtbr member
    I'm 210 lbs and have a set of easton havics and crossmax st's. the havics seem stiffer and the only time i've had to true them (used them for 11/2 years) is when I put a branch in the wheel and broke a few spokes. At your weight I would go with 20mm axel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 210Mojo
    I am hoping to get the bike down around 26-27.5 pounds.
    Guess you can get HDs easilly around 27-28 with a Float 36 and Iodines or Crossmax SX. I'm building a set of Hope Pro2 hubs/ZTR Flow rims/DT comp spokes, and they will be around 1800g and very strong. Hoping to get a HD later this year, and will try to build it as light and as strong (with strengh in front of lightweight though), and will probably use this wheelset.

The HD seems like the new big thing, unless you really want to go with a regular Mojo or a SL. They can be buit it with either of your forks. With a Fox 32 150 you will get around 68 HT and with a 36 a 67 HT, what is pretty close to waht you will get with the same forks on the HD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    210Mojo.... your name isnt Travis is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    Guess you can get HDs easilly around 27-28 with a Float 36 and Iodines or Crossmax SX. I'm building a set of Hope Pro2 hubs/ZTR Flow rims/DT comp spokes, and they will be around 1800g and very strong. Hoping to get a HD later this year, and will try to build it as light and as strong (with strengh in front of lightweight though), and will probably use this wheelset.

The HD seems like the new big thing, unless you really want to go with a regular Mojo or a SL. They can be buit it with either of your forks. With a Fox 32 150 you will get around 68 HT and with a 36 a 67 HT, what is pretty close to waht you will get with the same forks on the HD.
    That would be an expensive build, my SL is 28 pounds and has a 32 on it. Why buy a 160mm travel HD and then put a XC build on it? A HD that is built up the way it supposed to be should probably be around 30 pounds

Clyde

28 lb All Mountain Mojo for Clyde

I recommend Hope Pro2 hubs 32 hole /ZTR Flow rims/DT Db spokes. Have not trued them up yet after a year riding southern utah. The rear is a 10mm bolt on. The front is set up 15qr for a 09 140mm fox Van RLC. I also stiffened up the bike with a thomson post and stem. Switched out the bars for Raceface Next Low rise. I also went with the lope's link. I use avid CRs 185 up front and 160 on the back unless it is a downhill day. then I go 203 f / 185 r. I run the wheel set tubeless with conti mountain king protects. Xt drive train. Time carbon pedals. The bike is perfect. Fast, Agile, smooth and stiff. Great on drops. Irons out wash boards and rock gardens. . Now I need to better the rider. I'm fired up for my third season on the mojo. My trail weight is 250 with gear and water.
    Last edited by LuckySomer; 01-18-2010 at 08:59 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm also choosing parts for a mojo. I'm in the same boat with the wheels. I've had "light" 24-spoke wheels before and been disappointed. Also if you like bigger tires, think of the width of the rim... I have narrowish rims now, and it makes the tire a little squirrelly on rocky stuff. I think I'm going with Industry 9 All Mountain wheels. Light, strong, 32 spokes, wide-ish rims. Pretty, but $$
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    That would be an expensive build, my SL is 28 pounds and has a 32 on it. Why buy a 160mm travel HD and then put a XC build on it? A HD that is built up the way it supposed to be should probably be around 30 pounds
    210mojo said he was hoping to get the bike (SL) around 26-27 lbs. on further comments on the HD, I only tried to illustrate that a HD could be just as light with some picky components.

I also think a more pratical build would be around 29-30 for the HD. But if someone can get it at 28, that is also good, and I don't think it would compromisse the riding whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySomer
    I recommend Hope Pro2 hubs 32 hole /ZTR Flow rims/DT Db spokes. Have not trued them up yet after a year riding southern utah. The rear is a 10mm bolt on. The front is set up 15qr for a 09 140mm fox Van RLC. I also stiffened up the bike with a thomson post and stem. Switched out the bars for Raceface Next Low rise. I also went with the lope's link. I use avid CRs 185 up front and 160 on the back unless it is a downhill day. then I go 203 f / 185 r. I run the wheel set tubeless with conti mountain king protects. Xt drive train. Time carbon pedals. The bike is perfect. Fast, Agile, smooth and stiff. Great on drops. Irons out wash boards and rock gardens. . Now I need to better the rider. I'm fired up for my third season on the mojo.
    So what does your bike weigh?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Clyde

weigh

Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    So what does your bike weigh?
    just under 28.

Curmudgeon
    I'm 220 lbs and ride the crap out of my XL Mojo with 36 Talas RC2. I built a terrific wheelset for this bike using Hadley hubs, DT Supercomp spokes, and Mavic EN521 hoops. You can substitute other rims for your application, but these hubs are a must-have item, IMHO. Also, the 10mm thru-bolt rear end helps to tame flex. 72 point engagement is nice too.

Cheers,
    -S