mtbr member
    Nov 2004

New Matte Mojo SL has no rubberized paint

I was told that 2010 matte clear Mojo SL is no longer rubberized.
    Does anyone know why, and if the new paint is as resilient as the previous ruberized ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    yes- big mistake on Ibis's part. I ordered an SL last october, and it came in with no rubberized paint at the front of the frame, but rubberized back triangle. It was a major pain exchanging it and finding a rubberized front end. The un-rubberized frame felt rough- not soft and supple like the rubberized portion. Luckily after a week or so a rubberized front half was found and installed.
    The website erroneously says rubberized is still available, but my LBS confirmed all new frames will not have that finish. IMO, the unfinished is not nearly as nice, so find a 2009 if you can.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Wow, I was unaware of this change, as my SL sits at my LBS waiting for parts. Do you know if frame skin, on the non rubberized parts make it looks darker? That's the main reason I have not purchased frame skin from Fishboy yet.

Anyone have any pictures, close up picture preferred, of the new front triangle without the rubberized paint?

Thanks Camelo, Good information.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Ive had both paint types and didnt understand what was going on so contacted Hans.

He said "We were not able to do the colors we wanted in the rubberized paint"

I prefer the finish on the new frame. It does have a rough dry finish and is a bit shiny, not a rubberized feel and the carbon weave is much more pronounced?

When you put a frame skin on it it it looks wicked!

mtbr member
    Isn't the "rubberized" paint just a clear coat? The color comes from the base coat. If that is true, then the rubberized coat should be able to be applied to all colors.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hey Mojo Man, just curious, when applying the frame skin, you said it looks, "wicked!", does that mean it turns darker, or is invisible, as if applied on a painted frame? Pictures?

Thanks again,

Kevin

PTP
    WWW.PEDALTHEPEAKS.BIZ
    Sep 2009
    There had also been some problems with the rubberized paint and certain degreasers. Mostly orange degreasers when mixed with teflon lubes during cleaning broke down the rubberized coating, This is the same problem that some chain guides get over time with mineral spirit lubes and certain degreasers.

mtbr member
    KevinK i will take some photos tonight and post them up.

regarding the paint finish this is what happened to mine Bubbles in the paint

I have to add that the service i got from Hans was fantastic and there was no issue with a swap out.

mtbr member
    Sorry KevinK Iíve just read your post and its painted colours your asking about. I have clear coat on both bikes but have the two different clear/rubberised finishes.

I would think that the frame skin would not show up as it goes clear. on the matt finish it emphasises the carbon weave (which I like)

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hi Mojo Man, I guess what I wanted to know is, if the new clear coat is the same/similar to the clear coat on the painted frames. If so, the frame skin should not darken the color of the carbon, I'm guessing. If it is a different clear coat, similar to the rubber coat, the frame skin will probably make those area's where the frame skin is applied, look like the Non SL Nude carbon Mojo.

Thanks,

Kevin

mtbr member
    its probably a clear coat like you would find on any bike or car but it is a matte finish clear coat UNLIKE the rubberized stuff.

mtbr member
    the darker frame is the new paint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Matte Mojo SL has no rubberized paint-4704_204265130462_842655462_7201187_979921_n.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    The photos that were taken outside are the rbberised paint so the light indoors dosent do it justice as when outside it was a bright day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Matte Mojo SL has no rubberized paint-4704_204265120462_842655462_7201185_480814_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    And for kevinK here are a few photos of the frame skin on the "New" none rubberised paint.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    AWESOME!!!! Mojo_Man!!!! Exactly what I needed!!! Looks like the Frame Skin has the same effect, similar to the rubberized paint. I'm looking forward to my darker SL frame. I would have loved either one, equally, so, I am still very happy. They both look great.

Thanks again!

Kevin