mtbr member

New Magura MX Shock

This looks like something to keep track of, maintenance free, deigned with no pedal platform , sub 200 grams ... I'll get one this summer!!!!

From the Magura site:
    State-of-art automotive technology gets access to the bike biz with the new MAGURA MX air rearshock!
    The relevant advantages of this new technology are ultimate plushness, easy set-up, no-maintenance and low weight.

* The superb plushness is achieved by minimum friction of seals in the rear shock. All dynamic seals are self lubricating (Teflon). The rubber below does not create friction on surfaces, as it “rolls” like a wheel, i.e. flapping over. Due to the big air volume, about three times more than conventional air shocks and the big radiating surface, temperature problems on damping and suspension are almost non existent. Oil/air rear shocks show a much bigger effect on temperature.

* The setup is mainly done by air pressure for adjusting the correct sag. Once the air pressure is correct, the rebound is adjusted in the known way. That was it! If you ride with additional weight (e.g. big back pack) only pump up the rear shock. Damping is adjusted automatically because the air is acting also as damping fluid. By changing the pressure, the viscosity of the air is also changed, as air is compressible. Super easy!

* The MX rear shock will be the new benchmark also maintenance wise, as it is litterally maintenance free! The used technology seals the system, there are no friction surfaces where dirt can get in or air out. All internal contact surfaces are self lubricating. Air as suspension and damping fluid does not wear. What shall be maintained or serviced?

* Weight will be clearly below 200g for the MX 165!

The MX air rear shock is designed for new modern rear linkage systems, that eliminate chain torque induced forces and donīt need lockout or platform systems, to tap the full potential of the system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.derbyrims.com
    Magura always appears to produce top quality.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Yea, they make some great product. I love my Marta SL brakes, they work great and they look great. This shock is butt ugly so I hope is works like all their highly engineered products and makes up for it?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Magura always appears to produce top quality.
    Except for my Gustavs that had micro-leaks that were impossible to trace and my buddies brand new Gustavs where a critical pivot bolt fell out of the lever. Top quality casted aluminum! Yeah, they've gotten a lot better, but they sure didn't always seem to produce top quality, not in my experience with em.

In any case (in reference to the article), I've also not owned any bikes that I felt "needed" pedaling platforms, but that's just me.

This was on ridemonkey a few months ago.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Yea, they make some great product. I love my Marta SL brakes, they work great and they look great. This shock is butt ugly so I hope is works like all their highly engineered products and makes up for it?
    I actually kinf of like the looks, cover the red with some fake carbon vinyl ( ) and you get a very unobtrusive shock not much different from a shock with a protective cover ... we'll see about performance

PS My Marta (regular not SL!) have been great indeed
    Last edited by Davide; 03-14-2008 at 05:25 PM.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Yea, my Marta SL's have not had one issue in there years use, plus they were also I slightly used pair from my mechanic. They even have had some decent crashes and the levers never broke, which is good cause even wholesale the carbon levers are pricey.

banned
    Doesn't Cane Creek already make air/air dampers?

Pretty sketchy to not be serviceable, if that's the feature. I remember the old SID rears were not serviceable either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Doesn't Cane Creek already make air/air dampers?

Pretty sketchy to not be serviceable, if that's the feature. I remember the old SID rears were not serviceable either.
    Man, I generally do not reply to your posts but one can be sure that if there is something very stupid to say you are going to be first in line Keep it up!