mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New Ibis - wheel question

Just purchased an SL w/ the X9 kit plus a few upgrades. Anyway, love the bike, but the wheels/tires are definitely too beefy for what I typically ride. The 2.35 El Mocos are tractor tires to me and I'll be putting on some 2.1 SB8s for the faster stuff and races and some Nevegals or similar type in 2.1 for rockier stuff.

My question is this - are there issues running the 2.1s on the flow rims? I've seen some say that it's better to use the arch rims for smaller tires. I'm kicking myself for not asking for them initially, but ignorance was in my corner.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

As for the bike: wow, this is amazing! I can't believe I waited so long to pull the trigger. So much fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've been running 2.1 Nevegal and SB8 (both UST) on Flow rims without any issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have two months on the 2010 mojo sl with the x9 kit and couldn't be happier. IMO, can't find a better deal out there for the mix of frame and components. I use the same rear tire setup you are talking about on the flow rims without a problem. nevegal 2.1 when it's muddy and sb8 2.1 for the majority of the time when it's drier. I will try the 2.35 sb8 in the rear at some point for trail riding, but the el moco tires that came with the bike will just be used for downhill riding in tahoe.

www.derbyrims.com
    Wider rims with narrow tires increase the exposure of the sidewall to rock scrapes and tears. With the 28mm wide rims a 2.25 or wider tread protects the sidewall better when riding very rocky conditions.

And with a wider rim the tire profile is more "square" which usually increases cornering grip but will break away sideways more suddenly without feeling the traction limitation than a rounder profile.

I'd say ride those rims with your narrow tires unless you see serious sidewall scrapes on your regular rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the insight... i'm going to give the smaller tires a rip and go from there. Sounds like others are riding similar setups with no problems so that makes me feel a little better.

aka dan51
    I've got Specialized Captain 2.0 on my Flow rims now and am running them tubeless. They seem fine to me. Except for them being so small... Can't wait for racing season to be over so I can throw my 2.3s back on there.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I've got Specialized Captain 2.0 on my Flow rims now and am running them tubeless. They seem fine to me. Except for them being so small... Can't wait for racing season to be over so I can throw my 2.3s back on there.
    You're doin the wrong racing!

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody

Couldn't agree more...

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    No way, I do all the racing!
    Just had to lighten up for 8 hour endurance race...
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    After a few rides with 2.1s on the flows i'm washing out the front end quite a lot. Could this be due to the smaller tires on wider rims? I can't think of any other reason as I'm on the same tires that I used to have no issues with. Bike geometry is similar as well.

Any additional insight is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've got the Ibis/Stan's wheel set, onm a SL 2010. Does anybody know what freehubs will fit the rear? (I'm away from my bike currently, there are no bikes shops where I live and I really want to get a FH spare just in case!)

Can anybody help?

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by zander
    After a few rides with 2.1s on the flows i'm washing out the front end quite a lot. Could this be due to the smaller tires on wider rims? I can't think of any other reason as I'm on the same tires that I used to have no issues with. Bike geometry is similar as well.

Any additional insight is appreciated.
    Those rims are fine for those tires. The wider rim should enhance the tire's performance, in fact, by 1) better stabilizing the tire so it won't get as floppy in corners, and 2) allow the tire to open up into a better, wider profile. Some people say running a 2.1 on wider rims makes the tire ride more like a 2.25 or 2.3, so you're getting extra grippage for free essentially.

As for your current tires washing out, the first thing I would play with is air pressure. Washing out in corners usually indicates that you need to drop some air pressure. Drop it down a few PSI at a time until you stop washing out so easy. The indicator that you've gone too far is if the tires start to feel like they're going to fold over in the corners. The pressure range between low/folding and high/washing out is the usable pressure range for that tire in the conditions that you ride, your riding style, your bike/weight, etc.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb143
    Those rims are fine for those tires. The wider rim should enhance the tire's performance, in fact, by 1) better stabilizing the tire so it won't get as floppy in corners, and 2) allow the tire to open up into a better, wider profile. Some people say running a 2.1 on wider rims makes the tire ride more like a 2.25 or 2.3, so you're getting extra grippage for free essentially.

As for your current tires washing out, the first thing I would play with is air pressure. Washing out in corners usually indicates that you need to drop some air pressure. Drop it down a few PSI at a time until you stop washing out so easy. The indicator that you've gone too far is if the tires start to feel like they're going to fold over in the corners. The pressure range between low/folding and high/washing out is the usable pressure range for that tire in the conditions that you ride, your riding style, your bike/weight, etc.
    I switched tires, went tubeless and dropped the psi... made a world of difference. Not washing out anymore and cornering has vastly improved.