Thread: New ibis bike?

mtbr member

New ibis bike?

or maybe just custom paint?

New ibis bike?-screen-shot-2018-05-18-8.49.48-pm.jpg

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    My guess is custom paint—since he is an Enduro rider and the Ibis team has new Enduro bikes with the Ripmo and the HD4.

But they could be coming out with a new trail bike—the Mojo is a great bike but unchanged for a while. The Ripley was semi-updated last year—but people were not as happy with the changes.

A longer Ripley with a lower seat mast would be a popular bike. I’d buy it.

mtbr member
    Gotta just be paint. If they were releasing a new bike or even updating the M3 surely that would have been announced at Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was asking my dealer about whether they had any tranny 29's left in stock and he said no, but "a replacement might be sooner than you think though"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It's a steel bikepacking bike

mtbr member
    May 2005
    FWIW would take much to convert the ripmo to a 140/130mm bike without changing the geo much

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pretty please new HT for short track races!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodthegreat View Post
    Pretty please new HT for short track races!
    I'd like that too, but you can see the cross brace and shock mount in the photo. Maybe a shorter travel endurance/race bike? That'd be sweet as well. Seems like a resurgence of that kind of bike being released (Santa Cruz, Yeti, Intense, to name a few).

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I saw Scot at Dirt Fest and asked about a small Ripley as I know they are producing soon but heard not until July. He was tentative and answered yes, but they were working on some things. Very non-committal and sly in way that leads me to think they may be doing something else.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It will just be a custom paint job.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    New bikes me thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Ibis is certainly working on new bikes, all the time, and they certainly have several at different stages of development and production. That said, the Lew photo at top must be new paint, as it not only looks like the HT is masked for painting, but I can't imagine a production bike that would include "2018" on the top tube.

As for what gets updated next...the Ripmo is a pretty drastic shift in geometry for Ibis, which has historically made "balanced" (i.e. shorter reach/slacker ST/steeper HT) bikes relative to others. When the Ripmo launched they said something to the effect that the long reach/steep ST thing would be a guiding principle for their geometry going forward. So updates to Ripley and Mojo3 with updated geometry would make sense.

I'd think a total re-vamp of the Ripley might happen before long. Not only to change geometry but also to lose front der. and correspondingly widen/stiffen upper pivot. Shimano is about to launch a 12-speed XTR drivetrain with 51T large cog, which signals they're following SRAM's lead and killing off the front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    oops

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaD009 View Post
    I wish they would make two 27.5 bikes. I would like them to move the HD4 slightly more enduro with 160ish mm travel, and create a more trail oriented bike around 130 mm travel.
    You mean like the Mojo 3? Yeah, that'd be awesome! Oh, wait...
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Lew has teased a few more images since that post. Look like just front triangles so I'd say custom paint too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    You mean like the Mojo 3? Yeah, that'd be awesome! Oh, wait...
    I'd really like to see them update the Mojo3, using what they learned from the Ripmo. It would be a lot like the new Transition Scout, but maybe not quite as extreme, and a lot lighter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Agreed. I'm in the market for a new bike and really like the mojo3 but am hesitant to buy since the geometry is a bit outdated. I'm not necessarily holding out for new reach/ht/st numbers as I'm not sure what the benefits are, but I also don't want to buy one only to see it "improved" a month later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc21 View Post
    Agreed. I'm in the market for a new bike and really like the mojo3 but am hesitant to buy since the geometry is a bit outdated. I'm not necessarily holding out for new reach/ht/st numbers as I'm not sure what the benefits are, but I also don't want to buy one only to see it "improved" a month later.
    I'm in this same exact mental loop. I'm likely going to go ahead with a Ripmo, but feel like the Mojo 3 is probably a better all-arounder replacement for my aging HDR. But I don't want to drop $9k on the Mojo 3 when it would really just be a tweaked refresh of my HDR. A Mojo 3.5 that was a 27.5/140/130 bike with geometry queues from the Ripmo; namely slighter steeper STA, slighltly slacker HTA, and slightly longer reach; would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I'd really like to see them update the Mojo3, using what they learned from the Ripmo. It would be a lot like the new Transition Scout, but maybe not quite as extreme, and a lot lighter.
    And update the Ripley LS too. I've test ridden a Ripmo and it really agrees with me. I think I would rather have the Ripley-like spritely behavior over the long travel of the Ripmo though I may just go for it anyway. The Ripmo is more comfortable to ride on that the Ripley LS when the trails are rough and I'm certainly getting creakier and crankier about getting beat up on rough rides in my mid-50's now.

Ride On!
    Wondering if it might be a special limited edition of one of the current models to be raffled off to support trail building or something like Santa Cruz did with 5010 Chris King limited edition to celebrate Chris King's 40th anniversary.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I heard a new bike was dropping this summer. It's Hard to Tell what though...
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    It's Hard To wait

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post
    It's Hard To wait

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    if carbon, hopefully pressfit. Gluing metal to carbon just to have threaded bb for the sake of keeping a couple of mtbr and pinkbike wise guys happy is stupid. Cocalis is spot on here...

Then again what do I care, my next bike will made in Italy steel hardtail anyway...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post
    It's Hard To wait
    Wait, Ibis is going to release a Hightower? LOL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Any new rumors about a hardtail?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Have not heard any new rumors about a hardtail, but the pic that started this thread was from the custom painted HD4 Lew is using at the Brit Enduro Champs.
    Instagram: "lubbduro"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

I think this is what was “coming soon”.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    I think this is what was “coming soon”.
    Yup! British Enduro Championship winning bike!