Thread: New Headset

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

... and if we just ... New Headset

Hi to all,
    after a year of cycling through tons of mud and water with my Mojo SL the Cane Creek IS2 headset must be replaced. The bearings are hardly moving.

I really like the following headset

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=36138

but is it compatible ? (Hans, can you give me your advise?)

My experience is very bad with the Cane Creek IS 2 and I don't really want to get the 110 IS.

Any suggestion/comment?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by geokgeok

Any comment?
    Dang.

That'd better be one helluva headset.

Yeah, it'll fit your Mojo.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

Proud bike-o-holic
    Does Chris King makes a headset suitable for the Mojo?

regards

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Marco
    Does Chris King makes a headset suitable for the Mojo?

regards

No.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thats a very nice and light headset to be sure and the bearing will last longer than your cane creek but the sealing isn't a patch on the 110 ( info from my LBS). 110 has been great on my bike and I ride in the worst Scottish filthy weather. I wouldn't consider the IS 2 as anything but a cheap distant relation. Some mechanic rate the std 110 as slightly better than a King and I didn't think that was possible

Turn off the TV
    Why not just get new stainless bearings? I was going to get a new headset and the guys at the shop said don't spend the cash as new stainless bearings will be fine. Unless of course you want to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    110 is a different animal and likely the best you can buy for the Mojo. 2 years now on mine, just re-installed my fork after a PUSH treatment and the bearings are as smooth as the day I put them in. Lot's of grime as I rarely clean my bike, yet all is well.

meh
    are you not wanting the 110IS due to your experiences with the IS2?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    are you not wanting the 110IS due to your experiences with the IS2?
    I understand this point and `i have been wary of CC products in the pat but as stated above, probably the very best headset for a mojo regardless of cost

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    I understand this point and `i have been wary of CC products in the pat but as stated above, probably the very best headset for a mojo regardless of cost
    agreed, just trying to clarify if Geokgeok was just wanting something different to be different, or because he doesnt trust the 110is...cuz if its due to reliability then he has the wrong idea about the 110

ntm, that FSA is twice as much money

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by SMT42
    Why not just get new stainless bearings? I was going to get a new headset and the guys at the shop said don't spend the cash as new stainless bearings will be fine. Unless of course you want to.
    It is not only the bearings, the entire rest of the 110 is built to a lot tighter tolerances, and there aren't any silly plastic spacers, the 110 just fits like a new pair of gloves from day 1 til year 110!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My first reaction based on my IS2 experience was "I MUST BUY SOMETHING ELSE BESIDES CC" but after all that discussion and a little research I've decide to go with the 110 (red ones). I hope the bearings will last longer!.

I will post again after I install them

Proud bike-o-holic
    Quote Originally Posted by geokgeok
    My first reaction based on my IS2 experience was "I MUST BUY SOMETHING ELSE BESIDES CC" but after all that discussion and a little research I've decide to go with the 110 (red ones). I hope the bearings will last longer!.

I will post again after I install them
    I havenīt tried the 110, but it is the top of the line in CCīs headseats. Itīs like buying a Shimano Acera derailleur and then buying an XTR, itīs the same brand but whole different quality.

I think you will be glad. Iīll be getting one soon BTW for my Mojo SL, when I buy it