mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New HD owner... wow

Hi,

I am the proud new owner of a Mojo HD. It came as a replacement of my previous bike, as I busted the frame and took this opportunity to buy a new frame as there were a couple of things that were bugging me about the previous bike.

Here is my build:
    Frame: Mojo HD Medium
    Fork: Rockshox Revelation Race 150mm
    Headset: Cane Creek 110
    Stem: Thomson X4 70mm 6deg rise
    Handlebar: Easton Haven Carbon
    Brakes: Formula R1 180mm front and 160mm rear
    Shifters: Shimano XT 3x9
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Seatpost: Raceface Evolve
    Seat: WTB RocketV
    Front Der: Shimano XT
    Crankset: Shimano XT
    Rear Der: Shimano XTR
    Cassette: Shimano XT
    Wheelset: Stan's Arch EX rims with Chris King hubs 20mm front and 12mm rear
    Front Tire: Continental Trail King 2.2
    Rear Tire: Maxxis ADvantage 2.1
    Pedals: Time Atac XC Carbon

According to my scale, it weight around 27lbs which is exactly what I wanted. Future upgrades: definitely a dropper seat post.

I took the bike for its maiden ride on Sunday and all I can say is "WOW". I had demoed an HD a few weeks ago and it was good, but Sunday was an epic ride. The downhill on that loop is a world class downhill and goes on forever. I have ridden it numerous times and really like it, but on the HD, it took a whole new dimension.

The buddy I was riding with is an awesome rider and insanely fast on the downs and I could actually keep up with him. The trail we did is a typical Front Range trail: loose scree at the top, turning into a very rooty and rocky middle section, to finish on smoother single track at the bottom. The trail is full of 1 foot drops off of roots and various terrain irregularities that one can launch off. The bike just seemed to eat the chatter like it wasn't even there. It never felt like the back end was stiffening under braking and it was so plush in the chatter, it was just insane. To the point that when we got to the bottom, my buddy told me that he had never seen me ride that fast. I told him that the bike just felt composed and never out of sorts, so I felt comfortable going that fast.

One of the secrets to going fast is to have good brakes and the R1 are awesome brakes. So powerful and yet great modulation, so I knew I had plenty of stopping power when I needed it.

Going up, the HD climbs as well as my previous bike, but it feels like it rolls more on roots and has less pedal feedback and the suspension feels more active, but not in an energy-sapping sort of way, if that makes sense. There are suspension that are active, when climbing, but it is more like going up and down, whereas the suspension on the HD just compresses on roots and rocks to allow the bike to keep its momentum. Very different feel.

My previous bike was a good bike, but the HD just made me a better, faster rider.

I am still tweaking the pressure in the rear shock as I was using all the travel without doing huge drops, so I might need to add a bit more air in there.
    I think Ibis hit a home run with the HD, great bike and as proven by my build, still pretty light for such a burly bike. I think that 27lbs for a 6 inches travel bike is pretty reasonable.

Cheers,
    dbblackdiamond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New HD owner... wow-img-20120813-00145.jpg  

New HD owner... wow-img-20120813-00146.jpg  

Last edited by dbblackdiamond; 08-14-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What shock? So many words to re read.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have the standard RP23 shock on the bike... That will be another upgrade for another season. For the moment, I'll live with the RP23.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    congrats. in the middle of my second season on the HD and still not even sort of thinking about a new bike. people start talking bikes and i just tune out. it's a great bike, you made a great choice. enjoy!

mtbr member
    Glad you like. Try putting a fox air sleeve in the can. it's cheap and it works. Depending on your weight, I used the middle size out of the 3 they give you in the package and it makes your shock instantly more progressive and compliant. The RP23 is not as bad as people say it is, as you can adjust it quite a bit.

Lightly salted
    I think Mazspeed meant to say volume spacer. I'll second adding a volume spacer to the rp23 shock. Very cheap upgrade and makes the rp23 a nicer perfoming shock. Im about 195lbs ready to ride and use a medium volume spacer with good results in my rp23. Better small bump, better bottom out control. Although the volume spacer improves the rp23, it still dosn't compare to the monarch plus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanks a lot fuenstock and mazspeed for the info... I'll look into it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Where were these pics taken? Nice bike BTW

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Where were these pics taken? Nice bike BTW
    These pics were taken 2/3s of the up to the top of Powderface Ridge around Bragg Creek, Alberta. The downhill side of this ride is just phenomenal: a brake burning downhill that just keeps on giving.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Enjoy the RP23 for a while then upgrade and say WOW all over again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I think Mazspeed meant to say volume spacer. I'll second adding a volume spacer to the rp23 shock. Very cheap upgrade and makes the rp23 a nicer perfoming shock. Im about 195lbs ready to ride and use a medium volume spacer with good results in my rp23. Better small bump, better bottom out control. Although the volume spacer improves the rp23, it still dosn't compare to the monarch plus.
    Yep, meant volume spacer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    Enjoy the RP23 for a while then upgrade and say WOW all over again.
    Hi Huck Pitueee,

that's the plan for the moment.

Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    hey, where is the place on the picture? doesnt look like front range
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    hey, where is the place on the picture? doesnt look like front range
    Hi Brankulo,

the pictures were taken 2/3 of the up Powderface Ridge near Bragg Creek, Alberta. Bragg Creek, Alberta is located at the bottom of the Canadian Rockies Front Range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just wait until you head down Moosepackers to Ridgeback...oh man, that is heaven.

And I second the recommendation for the Monarch Plus. So buttery smooth.

mtbr member
    i see, now i realize co front range is not the only one . have fun with your HD, its a great bike.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    Just wait until you head down Moosepackers to Ridgeback...oh man, that is heaven.

And I second the recommendation for the Monarch Plus. So buttery smooth.
    Hi Gunnar,

you are right, I can't wait to head down Packers and Ridgeback... I would also love to do Razor's Edge and Prospector on it. They would be so much fun. If the weather holds for the weekend, I might do one of those.

I'll check out the Monarch Plus... see if I can find a good deal on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ya the Monarch rc3 plus got the HD close to how I'd like it. They don't cost much either.