Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Bits...

Too Much Fun

Good job! New Bits...

I just noticed some new lil nuggetts of newness up on the Ibis Store Site...

Mostly of interest to Ripley riders, but the front der cover is handy to all...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Yep, I got my GnarCore a couple days ago as part of a new swing arm (Ibis CS is amazing!) It was easy to install and fit the bike great with reassuringly tight tolerances. Here are some details for anyone interested:

GnarCore and ti bolt on a scale:
    New Bits...-img_1458.jpg

Original core and alloy bolt on a scale:
    New Bits...-img_1459.jpg

Ti bolt (top) and alloy bolt shown together:
    New Bits...-img_1460.jpg

GnarCore(L) and original core. Note a bit more material around threads and slightly greater overall wall thickness.
    New Bits...-img_1462.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got a ripley from november, is the new lower eccentric necessary? I haven't had any issues with mine at all and own a torque wrench and don't over tighten anything

mtbr member
    Then you should be fine, but according to their newsletter it also makes for a 10% stiffer rear end, and it's only $35

mtbr member
    You definitely don't need it, everything will work fine as is. Installation is easy but does require removal of the rear swing arm (which means removing chain, cranks, rear der., rear brake caliper etc.) so it takes a little effort. I'd recommend waiting until you're doing an overhaul anyway and then installing one.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anyone try that cable dice yet? I'm having annoying cable issues in that area around the shock. When the rear compresses, the RD and rear brake cable push out to the right, and depending on the situation, sometimes hits the inside of my right leg.

meh
    Seems like the cable dice would rattle around pretty bad. I dont have a Ripley, so not sure, just going by looks...or does it attach to the frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    Seems like the cable dice would rattle around pretty bad. I dont have a Ripley, so not sure, just going by looks...or does it attach to the frame?

It has been silent on my bike and the rest of our test bikes. It doesn't move around like you'd guess. It's very solidly held in place once clamped to the casings.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Methinks I will be ordering one of those dice and a Gnarcore very soon. Hah, and as always I'll probably have to be tempted by some other goodies at the same time

mtbr member

New Bits...

Do I have the Gnarcore? My frame arrived at the LBS in Calgary on Jan 24th or 27th and the lower looks like this:

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Trevorrr,
    Yes, you do.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member

New Bits...

Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Trevorrr,
    Yes, you do.
    H
    Sweet

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

No good You should have named this thread "New Bits :madman:"

After 4 months of trying to get rid of the creaks and clicks from the bike, I decided that enough was enough, and returned my creaking Ripley back to the local Ibis dealer.
    The Ripley was a joy to ride, but it's mechanical imperfections are totally unacceptable at this price level.
    Ibis - do your homework before you release a bike to the market, not after.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quisp View Post
    After 4 months of trying to get rid of the creaks and clicks from the bike, I decided that enough was enough, and returned my creaking Ripley back to the local Ibis dealer.
    The Ripley was a joy to ride, but it's mechanical imperfections are totally unacceptable at this price level.
    Did you set up the cables exactly as Ibis recommended, zip ties inside frame and all?

Did you lube your eccentrics?

Did you contact Ibis about the issue?

After doing all three of these things, Ibis sent me a new rear swing arm on the off chance that there was an issue with bearing alignment (actually, they saw a post on this board complaining of creaking and contacted me, AMAZING CS). Having installed it and set my cables up the way they recommend, which my shop had not done when building the bike, my Ripley is now silent.

Personally I think it's awesome that Ibis works with its customers to fix these issues, by releasing things like cable dice and the GnarCore. Could you imagine Specialized or Trek doing something like this? And yes both companies--hell, ALL companies--have released bikes that have some issues. Unless it's a safety thing, big companies just say "well, we'll fix that in next year's model, be sure to buy a new frame then." That's not the Ibis approach, and I greatly prefer their way of handling this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Lets not forget that Ibis DID do their homework and opted to NOT release the Ripley asap. They could have still made a killing and opted to change the design down the road. Instead, they missed out on sales and waited for the correct design.

Check out the Ripley preview in Bike Magazine:

Initial testing with the bushings went quite well—for a good, long while actually—until Ibis racer, Evan Plews, was racing a sloppy 100-mile endurance race in Georgia and the bushing system got gunked with mud and went tits up. Evan finished the race, but the contamination thoroughly the bushings. Ibis realized they needed to rethink the bushing project. In essence, they found that there wasn’t enough room for both the required bushing material and adequate seals in their particular eccentric configuration.

There were other changes, including rear travel and geometry...

Nearly every full-suspension bike (at any price point) has issues with internal cable routing...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

New Bits...

My Ripley has had a few creaks, but I found them in the cassette, stem, seat post and rear derailleur and not the BB. The cables have been good and I think it looks clean with the cable routing. It's too easy to give up, the bike is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Nearly every full-suspension bike (at any price point) has issues with internal cable routing...
    This isn't true at all. Some bikes don't have internal routing at all, and of the ones that do, the problems the Ripley had were particularly bad, from the odd place the cables enter, to the sawing through the steerer tube, no stealth dropper routing (which is the most useful internal routing), to the problems the die is designed to fix.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My english is far from perfect but i will try to explain:

1. Cables were installed correctly.

2. Eccentrics were checked, cleaned and lubed more then once.

3. A word for all the guys that try to fix these problems on their own: You paid thousands of dollars on a top brand carbon fiber bike - It should not creak. It's a new bike! You are supposed to ride it, not to tear the eccentrics apart every month to keep it silent.

4. A lot of my riding buddies ride carbon bikes from other brands. Their bikes are silent.

5. I spent WAY too much time trying to solve my Ripley's creaks, mainly because I loved how it rides.

6. I visited the local Ibis dealer more then 10 times during those 4 months.

7. First it was the steerer guards (2 versions – the plastic one was torn inside the headtube), then came the new clevis bolt, and now the new eccentric core. "new bits"...nice name for parts that should have been inside the frame on the first place!

8. After 4 months, Ibis kindly offered me a new frame. Since I went thru enough trouble with the bike, I decided to return the frame and get my money back.

9. All those posts about ibis having a very good customer service are true. But when I buy a new top of the line bike I don't expect to deal with customer service at all.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You should consider yourself lucky that you bought it from a company (and probably the only one) that accepts returns based on the complaint of noise...

Edited: because my last post may have been a bit harsh.

meh
    He did say they have great customer service, he just wasnt happy with the frame...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dear Zeppman, please read my post again. I don't have anything aginst Ibis or its customer service. From the "creaking ripley" threads in this furom I learned this problem has effected a lot of Ripley owners, and i thought it's important for poeple to know about my experience. Thats all. i retunred the frame because i spent too much time and effort on solving its problems, from the cable routing to the eccentrics and other stuff. I have been buying and riding bikes for 20 years, i never had such a bad luck with a bike. Maybe that's what's this is all about, bad luck...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Dear Zeppman, please read my post again. I don't have anything aginst Ibis or its customer service. From the "creaking ripley" threads in this furom I learned this problem has effected a lot of Ripley owners, and i thought it's important for poeple to know about my experience. Thats all. i retunred the frame because i spent too much time and effort on solving its problems, from the cable routing to the eccentrics and other stuff. I have been buying and riding bikes for 20 years, i never had such a bad luck with a bike. Maybe that's what's this is all about, bad luck...
    I hear ya quisp. It sucks when you fork out a lot of cash for a bike and it isn't perfectly quiet. For the most part, I have had pretty good luck with bikes over the last 27 years I've been riding. I did have a Superfly 100 though that I dropped some hard earned money on that was noisy (it had a few creaks) and had durability issues (2 cracked swing arms and 1 cracked main frame) in a 2 year time frame. Trek just kept sending me swingarms that would break, no noticeable improvement, until I finally unloaded it last year. I saw on the Pivot forum (was considering a 429c for a bit) that some of those bikes had creaking issues as well. I like the fact that Ibis supports their bikes with reasonable upgrades (cable dice, beefier eccentric, etc). Lots of other manufacturers just make you live with bike you have until you buy a new one.

Sucks about your experience though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I ordered a Gnarcore and a Cable Dice (while I am at it, I grabbed some Ibis grips and pair of Ibis pub glasses... good for having a lager while fitting the gnarcore and cable dice )

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll be stopping by Ibis tomorrow to pick up the new Gnarcore. Don't have any issues, but thought it would be a nice upgrade.

Ibis's customer service is the best I've seen so far. Just an awesome product backed by outstanding service. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I'll be stopping by Ibis tomorrow to pick up the new Gnarcore. Don't have any issues, but thought it would be a nice upgrade.

Ibis's customer service is the best I've seen so far. Just an awesome product backed by outstanding service. Thank you!
    Actually, I might pop down to Ibis and get them to install it for me. Oh wait.... That would be at least 13 hours 40 minutes flying time for me. NZ is a helluva way away from Santa Cruz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast