mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. Neoprene casing is being developed for the chainstay?

One of the reviews on the Ibis website (Ellsworth Epiphany vs. Ibis Mojo) states that "Annoying with the Mojo however is the loud clappering of the chain against the low-lying chainstay. The amount of marks just below the metal plate affirm our diagnostic. According to the distributor Tri-cycles, this deficit is being worked on. A complete neoprene casing is being developed for the chainstay..

Does anyone know if/when this might be available?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hello!
    We are expecting these within the next month.
    Cheers!
    Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thank you! The only thing better than the ride is the look of the Mojo. Any pic's of what it will look like? Any plans of producing the mud gaurd?

mojo mofo
    Hans, I hope you guys ordered about 1300 of them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had always wondered how many Mojos had been built...... unless Talkshow Host has 1299 and I have the other one.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sorry, no pics... If you can imagine a large lizard skin custom fitted to the CS, you are most of the way there...
    No mini mud gaurds in the works at this time...
    Cheers!
    Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mojo mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by ade634
    I had always wondered how many Mojos had been built...... unless Talkshow Host has 1299 and I have the other one.....
    I don't have 1299 and I don't have any insider info, just read somewhere that there was about 1300 made to date. That's probably gone up a few since I read that.

Knomer
    I wonder if a sleeve will be neccessary with the rubberized paint on the SL?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I wonder if a sleeve will be neccessary with the rubberized paint on the SL?
    good point. also if it is will it be standard on the sl. not to high jack this thread, nobody knows anything about the rubber paint. is it more protective than a clear coat. does it chip/peal

mtbr member
    are they going to be colored???? it would be sweet if the chainstays came in the colors of the bikes wouldn't it. i have a green ibis, and it would look so rad with a green chainstay!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah the whole rubber paint thing is still anyone's guess. Besides a metal object constantly slapping away at any surface will over time damage it. I have a hard time believing that there is any type of paint out there that could withstand that type of repeated pounding. Also there must be some other negative side effects of the chain constantly smacking the carbon underneath the paint anyway. I am very stoked and excited that Ibis is now releasing a chainstay guard expressly designed for the mojo.

Knomer
    I hope this sleeve features both the Ibis & DW logos.

Single Speed Junkie
    I would of thought that not only would this be a good idea in general, but almost a requirement on a carbon bike. Sure the carbon is pretty, but would really like to know how the frame holds up to point loading.

For example hit it with a sharp rock. I am not suggesting that anyone try this for real, but if it were to happen in a crash on the trail would the bike leave you high and dry? Now you need to drag your 22 lb bike out.

If you are wondering why I am being critical of the carbon construction I have seen it fail. (Not an Ibis frame yet) Also considering taking a test ride on a Mojo if I get the chance.

Wonder if the Ibis Mojo has a bigger brother in the works??? 29er...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I wonder if Ibis is producing a 10kg XC/marathon/light trail/100-120mm bike
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    I would of thought that not only would this be a good idea in general, but almost a requirement on a carbon bike. Sure the carbon is pretty, but would really like to know how the frame holds up to point loading.

For example hit it with a sharp rock. I am not suggesting that anyone try this for real, but if it were to happen in a crash on the trail would the bike leave you high and dry? Now you need to drag your 22 lb bike out.

If you are wondering why I am being critical of the carbon construction I have seen it fail. (Not an Ibis frame yet) Also considering taking a test ride on a Mojo if I get the chance.

Wonder if the Ibis Mojo has a bigger brother in the works??? 29er...
    Has any bike manufacturer ever existed that didn't have a frame failure (including steel, aluminum, scandium, and carbon) ? Mountain bikes do break on occasion. Most are aluminum failures, but then most bikes are aluminum.

Carbon does well hitting rock. Really, it does. And it's repairable. And it may be covered under warranty or at least "no fault replacement" price. And the bike has a rear and front triangle, so you can always replace one. And Mojos are being ridden everywhere and every way with no breakage yet. Besides, once you ride one, you start having too much fun to worry about it anymore.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

It's the axle
    The problem with trying to make statements about carbon fiber frames is that they are not made out of engineering materials, per se. They are not comprised of uniform tubes. Carbon fiber can be notch sensitive. However, carbon fiber is extremely strong. And when laid up properly, can make for a very stiff bike. And one that isn't notch sensitive. My understanding is that notch sensitivity is highest when a member is in tensile bending. I don't see that situation on the chainstay. I have done stress analysis on bike frames. So I'm not a total idiot. Just an idiot. One who needs a cup of coffee rather disparately right now.

That is my unexperienced assessment of things.

If you google notch sensitivity with respect to carbon fiber tubing, you'll find all kinds of stuff. But there are so many failure modes, only a few of which are found on a bike frame in any given location. Like the Google video of the guy driving his car over different tubes. Aluminun, titanium, and carbon fiber. It's bogus. Totally uncontrolled, with tubes of different diameters, wall thicknesses.

I think the bottom line is riding the bike. We already know this bike can endure it's job without problems.