mtbr member

Need your advice

I'm a long time Ibis fan. Still kicking myself for selling my Mai Tai and Bow Ti years ago.

I have been riding a Ibis Mojo carbon (since 2007) and loving it. But I've gotten the itch to upgrade again.

Mojo SLR or HD? I want the plushest ride I can get. In my mid-40's now and need to take care of my back. I don't do anything crazy, just trail rides (no jumping) and an occasional weekend race (not interested in winning as much as just finishing). I'm leaning towards the HD.

Thoughts? Setup ideas?

Thanks!

Too Much Fun
    Both are fantastic.

But the Ripley is about to drop too and I have a feeling 2013 will be a big Ibis year... Why not wait a bit?
    - -benja- -

Too Much Fun
    But if plush is the key, gotta be HD...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    HD, no question

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If you're not doing jumps or anything crazy, I'd opt not to gain the extra pound or more of the HD and would opt for the SL-R. You'll still get the big increase in rigidity (and a host of other great features) but will have a frame that is actually lighter than your original Mojo.

Dropshot Champ!
    is it lighter? I remember when the slr came out, people were mad that it was the same weight, or more, than an sl.

I wouldn't bank on a pound lighter, but the slr does sound good for you. I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    is it lighter? I remember when the slr came out, people were mad that it was the same weight, or more, than an sl.

I wouldn't bank on a pound lighter, but the slr does sound good for you. I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice.
    He's coming from a 2007 Mojo (non-SL). Frame weight was claimed to be right under 6lb I believe.

Comparing the new options, he has the SL-R (5.2lbs) and the HD (6.5lbs). Weights from Ibis website.

IMO, he's not riding any terrain that would justify the extra 1.3lbs of the HD. Instead, he could drop a half a pound or so over his original Mojo by going for the SL-R and still reap the benefits of the extra stiffness, Kashima shock, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    He's coming from a 2007 Mojo (non-SL). Frame weight was claimed to be right under 6lb I believe.

Comparing the new options, he has the SL-R (5.2lbs) and the HD (6.5lbs). Weights from Ibis website.

IMO, he's not riding any terrain that would justify the extra 1.3lbs of the HD. Instead, he could drop a half a pound or so over his original Mojo by going for the SL-R and still reap the benefits of the extra stiffness, Kashima shock, etc.
    Agreed. I picked the SL-R ultimately because of the weight savings, the better climbing ability, and the fact that I try to keep both wheels on the ground except for minor drops.

However, if you can wait and see what Ibis brings in 2013 with the Ripley and maybe a true 650b option from the factory, I would. If you are already committed to purchase an Ibis, the price difference from an SL-R or HD to a Ripley is probably going to be (hopefully) relatively small compared to the price. The extra wheel diameter does make a big difference in how your body feels at the end of a ride.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3