mtbr member

Need some advice, new wheelset 650B for HD

I need some advice on what to do with my HD. My current wheelset has rode it's last trail, they were great since 09 and never once needed trueing but the rim has started to crack.

I have a 2011 front without the dent for clearance and the direct mount FD but I have the newer 12x142mm rear end. I just installed a DBAir about 4 months ago and have a Fox36 Float up front.

Should I pickup another 26inch wheelset or move to a 650B? If I move to 650B besides the wheels do I need to change anything else?

basically just trying to figure out what all is involve in converting to 650b?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Murchman; 09-19-2013 at 01:08 PM.

mtbr member
    You will have to limit your shock travel in the rear with the 275 wheels. Not a big deal just have to install a 5mm washer to limit the stroke. The other way to handle this is switch to the 130 limbo chips and replace the rear shock. Not the direction I would go personally. Not sure that you Float will clear the 275 wheels either unless you run really small tires. Total cost is going to be close to $2K by the time you buy a new fork at $1K, rear shock work at $400 and wheels at $600 worst case scenario. Best case is that you can keep your fork, do the shock work yourself and just buy the wheels.

mtbr member
    Thanks that really helps. Any link on how to install the washer to limit the stroke?

I'm testing out some Roval Traverse SL carbon wheels right now that are 26 and I am getting a great deal on them which would be less than half the cost to move to 650b.

Really struggling to figure out which route to go. Have to love first world problems.

mtbr member
    Go with the carbon wheels /thread unless you are planning on buying 275 carbons as well (Light Bicycle or Derby rims). I do not have any instructional videos, but I think there is a writeup by Derby that explains it pretty well.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help Salespunk, I think I am going to go with the Carbon wheels and stick with 26 for now. I love my HD the way it is and don't really care that much that I have to work harder to keep up with the 29er and 650b boys on rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman View Post
    Thanks for all the help Salespunk, I think I am going to go with the Carbon wheels and stick with 26 for now. I love my HD the way it is and don't really care that much that I have to work harder to keep up with the 29er and 650b boys on rides.
    If you're going to stick with 26" wheels.
    Best deal going on carbon rims is the Easton Haven's at $799.00
    @ CS
    Easton Haven Carbon Disc Whlset 15mm 26"

Just make sure you send them to Easton to have them swap out the hubs to the 20mm/15mm m1-122 fronts and the redesigned M1-121 rear hub. They did mine for the cost of the axles.

My set should be back from Easton this week or early next week : )

I personally don't have a problem rolling over ANYTHING with 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Wow thats a great deal and matches the deal on the Roval Traverse SL wheels I am testing now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    FYI, those Eastons are not convertible to 142... ask how I know. : ) Easton took care of me, but they are the m1-120 ( non-convertible ) versus the convertible m1-121 hubs.

Nothing wrong with 26"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodeoj View Post
    FYI, those Eastons are not convertible to 142... ask how I know. : ) Easton took care of me, but they are the m1-120 ( non-convertible ) versus the convertible m1-121 hubs.

Nothing wrong with 26"
    Hence my original post...

Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting View Post
    Just make sure you send them to Easton to have them swap out the hubs to the 20mm/15mm m1-122 fronts and the redesigned M1-121 rear hub. They did mine for the cost of the axles.
    I'll reiterate,
    The m1-121's ARE CONVERTIBLE TO 142.
    Easton will swap out the M1-120''s for M1-121's if you send them the wheels.

They need to be purchased from an AUTHORIZED reseller (within the warranty period) which C.S is, AND you need to provide an invoice.

mtbr member
    I ride the havens and will say they are the best wheels I have ever ridden. Get these over the traverse any day of the week.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I ride the havens and will say they are the best wheels I have ever ridden. Get these over the traverse any day of the week.
    But have you ridden Enves imo if wanting carbon, worth every penny if performance and strength is your priority!

Ive ridden Eastons, but not owned them and glad I waited, sure they are still great. But both guys at my LBS devotee Easton dudes, swapped out theyre Easton carbon Havens for Enves and pretty much all they sell!

After 16months of abuse still ripping hard, plus you can choose what ever hub you like, big selling point for me, no spacing issues, hub issues, etc

Plus one on Rovals, never, never again!

You pay for Enves, but you get what you pay for, imo I already got my ROI on these in the first 6months, rest is gravey!

Plus more than mae up for diff in 26" vs 27.5 with no tire issues or choices!

mtbr member
    So what's the issue with the Rovals? They are laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs, are just as stiff if not a bit stiffer than my mavic SX but a half pound lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    if performance and strength is your priority!
    Do you have any real world materials failure test data to back up that statement or is it just subjective?

I'd love to see some PUBLIC destructive test data results on these rims.

Here's the results of one such test:

mtbr member
    Anything can be destroyed with enough force. It would be cool to see the differences but I am not sure how applicable it would be to the real world. Crush force is not an issue it is sharp impacts. I have quite a few buddies riding Havens with no issues. Same with Enve.

Enve's are nice but not quite the same value as the Haven Carbons at $799/set complete vs $800/rim.

mtbr member
    Enve's are nice but not quite the same value as the Haven Carbons at $799/set complete vs $800/rim.
    Exactly....

Mtb Guide
    Anything can be destroyed with enough force. It would be cool to see the differences but I am not sure how applicable it would be to the real world. Crush force is not an issue it is sharp impacts. I have quite a few buddies riding Havens with no issues. Same with Enve.

oh definitely, I ran into a dog and broke three spokes, the dog did that, not my dog, it was a hard crash I was still able to ride though and still jumped and rode hard, almost any other situation Ive done similar things the wheel has lost tension and collapsed, Ive had some lucky situations I got away with.

Ive not seen a failed Enve rim in person but have seen some online, totally agree anything is breakable.

I wasn't dissing Easton! just saying for performance and strength ime they're is no better currently than Enve and you are not locked into propriety spoke layout and hub system.

Im also not a fan of less than 32 spokes, thats fine for XC and lighter riders, but every wheel-set and I did get to test a set I felt flex, I flex stuff.

If price or budget which I did say is your priority then Enve is not that rim option, but I did say sheer performance!

I was coming from another POV, for me I don't see any benefit in investing in half measures and again thats my point of view and experience!

In no way will anyone convince me a 28h or 24h wheel is stronger than a 32h hole wheel straight pull or not, the difference if they're is one is in a poor wheel build.

Not many combinations Ive not tried, DH is a great testing ground.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting View Post
    Do you have any real world materials failure test data to back up that statement or is it just subjective?

I'd love to see some PUBLIC destructive test data results on these rims.

Here's the results of one such test:

Yeah I do, unlike you I have either owned or ridden what I discuss and the thats enough for
    me I don't make suggestions based on opinion unlike u I'm not stuck in one path and I don't attack people, because I don't agree with they're opinion,

I may have a difference view, read my post idiot.

What because you throw a pic up that makes you intelligent or superior, Ive owned Rovals for me me never again!

I nearly brought Easton Carbons and have ridden them, I never they said they were bad, just that didn't like they're hubs, and my local LBS had more than enough experience on them that they steered me away when I could have brought a set on discount.
    You don't offer free upgrades if they're is no issue.

That might be good cs, but where not talking about that are we, it was based on sheer
    performance and Ill stand by that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Yeah I do, unlike you I have either owned or ridden what I discuss and the thats enough for
    me I don't make suggestions based on opinion unlike u I'm not stuck in one path and I don't attack people, because I don't agree with they're opinion,

I may have a difference view, read my post idiot.

What because you throw a pic up that makes you intelligent or superior, Ive owned Rovals for me me never again!

I nearly brought Easton Carbons and have ridden them, I never they said they were bad, just that didn't like they're hubs, and my local LBS had more than enough experience on them that they steered me away when I could have brought a set on discount.
    You don't offer free upgrades if they're is no issue.

That might be good cs, but where not talking about that are we, it was based on sheer
    performance and Ill stand by that.
    LOL! Nice belligerent response to a legitimate neutral question......
    You appear to be the one with a comprehension issue. Not to mention a major case of narcism.

There was NO "attack"?
    Read my post again CAREFULLY before you go on a personal tirade because you're butt hurt when somebody asks for some real world data.

Salespunk got it OK
    Last edited by crconsulting; 09-22-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Off the back...
    I like the Light-Bicycle wheels. Good enough for all-around riding plus a few days of lift-accessed riding. Just got a set for my wife's new HDR as well. Not bad for under $700 to my door. Thinking about them for my DH bike...

Dissolved member
    Get yourself a pair of Derby rims now and thank Derby for his awesome product later.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650...ng-871009.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    I like the Light-Bicycle wheels. Good enough for all-around riding plus a few days of lift-accessed riding. Just got a set for my wife's new HDR as well. Not bad for under $700 to my door. Thinking about them for my DH bike...
    Got chance to try the Light-Bicycle wheels a while back. For the price, not a bad product. The industrial production power from the far east will continue to put pressure on the carbon rim market and push prices lower, eventually making it more competitive with the consumer winning out. Sure there will always be the high end market, but those companies like light bicycle will continue to improve their product narroiwng that gap.

Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Get yourself a pair of Derby rims now and thank Derby for his awesome product later.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650...ng-871009.html

Nice product! They are a little wide for my needs but they will work out great for many riders. They really look like a well thought out and refined product. It's nice to see a local develop a product like that.

mtbr member
    I have the Derbys on order!