mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Need some advice on a 2013 Ibis HD frame build

I'm a noob at Ibis Mojo HD setup, please enlighten me!

I'm finally updating my ride. Going from a 2008 Dawg to a'13 Mojo HD.

Love the Dawg but the HD is a substantial upgrade from the kona frame. I ride hell out of the dawg and can keep up with most. I've been riding forever but feel a bit out of touch with the new options.

The initial plan was to swap over all parts and ride.

Found out my 665 SLX crank isn't compatible due to chain line issues with the lower DW links. Don't want to risk damaging the frame from chain slap. Would rather not pay for a front derailuer and shifter. Can handle pedaling uphill in a 32 tooth ring, will miss the leverage of a 36 on the down.

What I've got so far... 35 or 65mm stem, 750mm bars, 160mm Marz 55 Rc3 ti, Stans Flow wheels, Seatpost, BB, Headset. The rest is yet to be decided. I usually build my bikes to last a long time as I don't like to swap out parts or have issues. To give you an idea, many of the parts on the Dawg were from a build I did back in 2004, just swapped out frames.

What would you all recommend for drivetrain?

1X with a double wide?
    What crank? (Have a Hope BB that I can swap over)
    Chain Guide with a 2x?
    New clutch style rear derailuer?
    10 speed or 9?

Anything else?
    Last edited by eshew; 1 Week Ago at 12:00 AM.

mtbr member

Need some advice on a 2013 Ibis HD frame build

The new 1x Narrow Wide revolution with clutch dérailleur is for real. Speaking as a died in the wool Shimano guy, SRAM 11 sp is for real, but pricey. If you want a more "value" setup, XT or for that matter SLX, is impossible to beat. You can get XT cranks and 10sp R Der's cheap, and that shit is awesome. Pick your NW chainring, and enjoy solid light reliable quiet drivetrain performance.

mtbr member
    Since you are comfortable with a 32 tooth and don't need to go any lower, I wouldn't worry too much about the crank. Spiderless cranks shed weight but there is nothing wrong with a good set of XT cranks like bacon suggested.

I went from a 9 speed to SRAM's 11 speed. the 42T is awesome but it is quite spendy and the cassette prices are not coming down quite yet. I do think that if you are going to a 1 speed, a 10 speed would give you a wider range of gears although if you are not weight conscious like I was on my 9, you could get the shimano HG61 cassette that has a range of 12-36. it's just really heavy.

I'm not quite sure how much you want to be spending but without knowing that I would go with (based on what I read)

XT crank
    10 speed with One Up 42T component
    10 speed clutch rear derailleur (clutch is the biggest game changer when I upgraded... so quiet)
    NW ring of your choice (race face, absolute black, wolftooth, lots of choices out there)

Hope that helps.
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '14 Large Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    oop and I forgot to add, I wouldn't be worried about a chainguide if you have a clutch rear derailleur. I have one from my last bike so it stayed on my current setup but I really don't see the purpose.

More importantly a bashguard is why I have mine installed.
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '14 Large Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

whatever she says gueuze.
    Go with Shimano XT brakes. Last year's model is dirt cheap now. I have both XTs and XTR trails and I have to say that the XT's stop better. Any set of cranks will work, RaceFace, XT's, etc. Just keep the middle ring or buy a NW 30T/32T. Clutch rear or MRP guide will work. This is minor but you'll also notice that HD's/HDR's have a different shaped seatpost clamp. If you want a qr clamp, you'll have to order an Ibis one which kind of blows.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thank you do much guys!

In the process of getting done spare cash to finish the build. Finally have it figured out with your help.
    Looking at the newer slx brakes, hope narrow wide, x9 or xt 10 speed (compatible with 9 speed hub I assume), 11-36 cassette, some sort of cranks and hope bb. Havoc 750 bars. Some sort of seat and pedals, probably off an old bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Finally did the deed. Ordered parts. Big step.

Purchased:
    Saint Shifter (rear)
    XT 10 spd Shadow +
    XT 10 spd cassette
    Sram chain
    Straightline bash
    Blackspire 34 narrow wide ring
    XT Disc brakes & rotors
    SLX triple crank to convert to single ring with bash.

I'm looking forward to the build