KevinK
    Jul 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! NEED HELP!!! What spacers are you using for XTR 985 double 40/28?

Currently running the new XTR Double, with the appropriate recommended front derailleur, but, chain keeps jumping on the 2nd gear of 9. I'm running two spacers on drive side and one on the non drive side. Going to switch to three on drive side to solve problem. Is this recommended? Need help!

Bike is a Mojo SL.

Thanks,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That is not recommended. You should stay with spacer config. recommended by Shimano. It could be a matter of adjusting the derailleur.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hey Lars! Thanks for the advice. I, however, did go against Shimano specs, and placed three spacers on the drive side and zero on the other side! Shifts are PERFECT now! I can start with my highest gear and dump nine cogs to my lowest gear without any rubbing, on my front 28, same with my front 40!

LBS just said I may wear the BB bearings faster, but I'm ok with that, as long as my shifts are clean, crisp, and always positive. Makes a huge difference riding a bike that has minor problems to one that is perfect.

Thanks again for your advice.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Looked like you were considering lightening up your bike more with the new Rotor or S-Works carbon cranks Kevin. Why did you go with the heavy XTR cranks?

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hey xc71. I was considering the S-Works cranks, or the new Rotor 3D+, but, in the end, needed something fast, reliable, stiff, and, to be honest, something Easy! The new xtr double, is approx. 20g lighter than my Rotor 3D w/ Titanium axle crankset. Also, the new xtr has a 28/40 chainring. Also saved a few grams on the new xtr front derailleur. I may purchase the S-Works in the winter, when my riding is limited to the spin or recumbent bike in my sun room, but, the fast and easy solution was the xtr, and, it was on sale! $299, everything included, bb, axle, chainrings, out the door. Couldn't pass it up! Have to say, the xtr, with 3 spacers on the drive side, and zero on the non drive, shifts like a Dream. Night and day between my specialties TA chainrings, or my Stronglights!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How do you like the 28-40 gearing going up hill?

I just bought these on sale as well but I think I will go with the more flexible gearing of the XT crankset instead.

mtbr member
    40-28 takes a little getting used to, but it is not bad. After a few weeks of riding it I am taking 10-20 seconds off my PR's climbing. Jenson has the 26-38 on sale for $399 right now if you want to go that directoin.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikerguy View Post
    How do you like the 28-40 gearing going up hill?

I just bought these on sale as well but I think I will go with the more flexible gearing of the XT crankset instead.
    I actually really like the 28/40 chainrings! I've been riding 30/42 for over five years, but took a year off, and now, it seems perfect! Hills seem to be easier, but another contributing factor to ascents feeling easier, are the wheels and tires. Rear wheel/tire combo's rotational weight is a few hundred grams from what I originally had, and I do feel a huge difference when accelerating or climbing.