mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Need Advice/Opinions on Mojo SL vs Stumpy FSR...

i've been riding my s works stumpjumper for 4.5 yrs now and am looking for a new bike. i have always heard good things about the ibis mojo carbon bikes, and one popped up on my local cl with a high end build kit that looks interesting..it is a 2012 xx build kit with easton carbon haven wheelset.

anyway, the frame is an sl and i'm wondering how people view this bike as an xc ride for riding in the bay area and tahoe terrain. also interested in views on how the mojo sl will stack up against a newer s works stumpjumper fsr..both are 140mm travel bikes with equivalent parts set ups. i am 5'9" but have always ridden a large stumpy as i prefer the stretched out feel on that size frame. curious how the mojo geometry runs size wise as well.

all comments appreciated, this is the first time i've considered anything other than a stumpy in about 7 yrs. thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Comparing an Ibis to an SJ at the same price the Mojo will be considerably lighter. If you really love the brain then maybe weight isn't everything but I don't miss it one bit. Spesh just doesn't put emphasis on light bikes.

In fact I would suggest that at every price point the Ibis can be as much as 2 pounds lighter for the same money. The only way to get under 25 pounds in Spesh is to spend 10 Large on an S-works. For the same money a Mojo SL could easily be under 23 Lbs!

I loved all 3 of my Stumpies, and they'll always have a fond place in my heart. It's not you SJ, it's me. We're just not right for eachother. We need room to grow...and I want a 29er now. But I'm not willing to ride a 29 Lb behemoth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Plus another thing to take into account is customer service.. Good luck getting in touch with a top level manager should you have a problem with your frame/bike.. That is just what happened to me with ibis... Crashed and wrote off the frame-- talked to them up in santa cruz-- all taken care of and back on a bike within a few days.. Goodluck getting something like that to happen with the big S... Plus its nice to be on something other then a generic cookie cutter bike that any of the Big 3 throw out.. Pick a slr special blend and off you go with with a sweet bike for not to much $... Funny to think of a ibis bike as a value move.. But with what you get for your $-- its really the case..

orthonormal
    The newer SJ FSR has considerably slacker geometry than the Mojo SL. If you're looking for more of an XC ride, definitely pick the Ibis over the SJ FSR. Regarding weight, the carbon SJ FSR is not a heavy frame at all. Hang the exact same parts on one and it will only be about 1/2 lb. heavier than the Mojo SL. The biggest factor for me, however, would be Specializeds' penchant for litigation and the way they treat their dealers. I have an Epic 29 that I bought used but I won't be buying their products again.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    dumb question, but what do you mean by 'slacker' geometry? my riding is sf bay area plus occaisonal rides in the tahoe area. mostly xc type rides and i try my best to keep at least one wheel on the ground at all times. some technical riding in the mtns but no big, technical downhills at monster speed or anything.

is the mojo sl as 'tough' as the stumpy for a 180 lb rider?

thanks.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    dumb question, but what do you mean by 'slacker' geometry? my riding is sf bay area plus occaisonal rides in the tahoe area. mostly xc type rides and i try my best to keep at least one wheel on the ground at all times. some technical riding in the mtns but no big, technical downhills at monster speed or anything.

is the mojo sl as 'tough' as the stumpy for a 180 lb rider?

thanks.
    Mostly head angle, but a quick look at the Specialized site tells me it's only 1 degree different, 68 vs. 69 for the Mojo. I was thinking of the SJ FSR Evo, which is definitely more biased toward the descents (no brain, more travel, lower BB, slacker head angle, etc.). I test rode a demo Evo from Another Bike Shop in Santa Cruz and it's quite a different animal from the Mojo SL.

I weigh the same and wouldn't be at all worried about the strength of Mojo SL for the riding you describe.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks. now i just have to figure out what to offer the guy for the bike....i know where the stumpies trade, not sure how the market values the mojos...

mtbr member
    You can always do an angle set on the Mojo to create any head angle you like. The Specialized is a nice bike, but has too many proprietary suspension parts and that brain just flat out sucks. You have one option, and that option is not very good. Specialized CS is awful and Ibis is wonderful, but buying a new Ibis is always best, but really check second hand stuff thoroughly. I don't think anyone would warranty a second hand frame, but you can still get parts and advice quickly from Ibis.
    As far as the SL goes, and from what you told us as a rider, it's a match, but you need to ride it first to make sure that one it fits you, and two it's something you can ride long term. Your weight is a non-issue for the ibis, The SL is a pretty strong frame, much better than their first few years, this one is all sorted out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks. the bike i'm looking at is mostly xx with a couple of xtr pieces (brakes/cassette), with fox rp23 ctd shock, fox 32 talas terralogic fork, carbon haven wheels and thomson elite seatpost/stem. i wish it had a dropper, otherwise it looks like an s works equivalent build. the bike is a 2012 with few miles in hopefully as new shape. the owner is a bike builder who seems to know what he's talking about. he's asking a full price for the bike but hopefully when i ride it, it fits me as well as the stumpy and we can find a price that makes sense. the frame is a medium and i've been riding a stumpy large but i've heard that the mojo runs a bit on the large side which would be good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    The SL is a pretty strong frame, much better than their first few years, this one is all sorted out.
    I can vouch for this...since owning the SL i've been anywhere between 230-260lbs without gear. The only weak link (for my riding) was the stans arch wheels that came with it...and I guess thats not really fair to say as it was more likely the thn spokes used on the wheel. Either way, now its rocking a set of Mavic 823s which is overkill for my riding but I didnt want to be worried about wheels anymore and its rocked ever since.
    For what its worth, I'd describe my riding to be between XC and light AM...not really into big jumps/drops but I do enjoy crashing through/over things.

i wish it had a dropper....
    I'd strongly suggest getting one. I held out for a long time and finally got a reverb...the first one lasted ONE driveway test ride..sent it back...got its replacement a week later..had to fill it with air out of the box and its been perfect ever since....and its definitely a must have. The weight it adds is totally negligible, especially at my current body weight as I could stand to drop about 50lbs my self.

I hope the mojo works out for you!

mtbr member
    Make sure you check the size, I have a Mojo SL size medium and I think it is on the small side.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    You can always do an angle set on the Mojo to create any head angle you like. .
    ^^^Cannot do this on an SL, only SL-R and HD. SL is not a tapered steer. Though I don't think the OP will be slacking out the bike any.

As for rider weight on the SL, you have nothing to fear. You won't come close to pushing the frame's limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    ^^^Cannot do this on an SL, only SL-R and HD. SL is not a tapered steer. Though I don't think the OP will be slacking out the bike any.

As for rider weight on the SL, you have nothing to fear. You won't come close to pushing the frame's limit.
    Ahh did not know. Thanks for the correction.

mtbr member
    I'm the same height as you and I ride a L mojo SL with a short stem (and love it). A friend's Medium stumpy evo doesn't feel much smaller but a touch slacker, although I do have a 150mm fork. I used to ride a medium endure, so definitely check the sizing closely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for all the input. now i'm worried about the sizing. this is a one off bike with that great build, so if it doesn't fit well i'm back to the drawing board. i rode a medium stumpy for a while and never was quite comfy on it, then swapped out for a large frame and for me it was much better. i don't like being cramped on the bike. now i've heard that the mojo runs both ways--large and small, so i guess i'll see how it feels this weekend...that is, if we can agree on a price beforehand. the seller isn't interested in having me come down and joyride the bike if i'm not ready to buy, which is understandable as he has to swap a couple of parts around to get it configured the way i would like it...

do any of you have thoughts on what the bike i've described above is worth? the seller is asking 5800 which sounds a tad on the high side to me...but what do i know.

mtbr member
    My SL isn't quite as nice a build as that (regular xt etc) so I can't really comment on the price, but I will say that size is critical. If it doesn't fit right, don't go for it just because it seems a good deal. If you search this forum I think you'll find other threads saying the mojo tends to run a little smaller than other frames. Having said that, it's personal preference - if the medium feels good, go for it and enjoy.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the input. now i'm worried about the sizing. this is a one off bike with that great build, so if it doesn't fit well i'm back to the drawing board. i rode a medium stumpy for a while and never was quite comfy on it, then swapped out for a large frame and for me it was much better. i don't like being cramped on the bike. now i've heard that the mojo runs both ways--large and small, so i guess i'll see how it feels this weekend...that is, if we can agree on a price beforehand. the seller isn't interested in having me come down and joyride the bike if i'm not ready to buy, which is understandable as he has to swap a couple of parts around to get it configured the way i would like it...

do any of you have thoughts on what the bike i've described above is worth? the seller is asking 5800 which sounds a tad on the high side to me...but what do i know.
    IMO, $5800 is way too much for a used bike. Depending on your inseam, you're right in-between the medium and large.

I owned a '11 SJ FSR medium and it was the perfect size for me @ 5'8.5" and 31" inseam. I test rode the medium and large Mojo, but the seat-tube length was too long for my legs on the large. I settled with the medium and I've been happy.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

Dropshot Champ!
    fit and fsr vs dwlink aside, I also wouldn't pay 5800 for that bike.

XX is really nice, but it isnt that expensive.

mtbr member
    I'm 5-10 and ride a med. You have any pics of the bike? $5800 is pretty high for a second hand The xx drivetrain and carbon rims should be worth it though.