mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Need advice on Mojo SL purchase

Hello,

I'm looking to build a Mojo SL and want to do it right. I've always hand built and my computer and end up getting a far superior machine for cheaper by going this route. Is this the same for bikes these days? I currently ride a 10 year old bike and now that I'm upgrading I want something that I can fall in love with for another 10 years. Just test road the Ibis at my local shop and it was pretty rad. On the Ibis website they list the Mojo SL frame with SLX kit for $3300. Can anyone please give me some advice on if it would be smarter to order my components individually and the frame online or whether I should just get the full bike with the kit? It seems like I could possibly save some decent cash and get some key upgrades if I bought it piece by piece online, but I'm not sure. On top of that I'm not even sure which parts to buy, etc. A lot of sites sell build kits and seem to have some good prices all around. Do I save money by buying the bike outright from Ibis with their kit or is the cost just the sum of all the MSRP parts? Of course it always sucks to buy a sweet frame and have bad parts in the kit that you need to upgrade anyways. Either way I just want to get the best bang for my buck.

Thanks for any advice. Looking forward to joining the Mojo club soon.

bike rider
    The cheaper option is to buy a complete bike. It costs 30-50% more to buy parts and build a bike. Ibis does let you make changes to their kits if you prefer a different fork, wheels, ect. The WTF kit with some changes is about perfect.
    Keep the Country country.

Church of the Wheel
    Agreed, it's generally cheaper to buy a complete bike rather than piece it together. The reason is that manufacturers buy parts in bulk, so get volume discounts that they pass on in their build kits. You can come close if you really bargain hunt for all the individual pieces for your ride, but this takes time and effort, and you may or may not end up saving that much cash. On the other hand, you can hand pick every part to suit you.

As for the standard Ibis build kits, there are no bad parts or bad builds. Each different build is a different level of compromise between price/weight/bling/etc. They're all good kits, and will all work well for a long, long time, but the more expensive builds have higher zoot/lower weight, etc.

I'd recommend figuring out which kits sits closest to your bike budget, then look at the kit closely to see if there are any bits that you would rather switch out for something different, then chat with your local dealer to see if they'll work with you to make the bike just the way you want. Any decent shop will switch parts and just charge you the difference in price.

BTW, the Mojo's should be an excellent choice for a great long-term, durable, future-resistant bike. Cheers!
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Alright, thanks for the advice, guess I'm buying a complete bike then.

So, am I a fool if I walk in and pay the sticker price on a bike like this? I feel like I should be haggling a bit on such a big investment. My shop just quoted me the exact MSRP of the 2010 Mojo SL w/SLX, which was $3299.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    You at least have to ask for a lower price. 10% off MSRP is not unreasonable.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat as you--I'm deciding to go piece by piece or get the kit. I put the xt kit and the xtr kit into the Competitive Cyclist website to compare and get an idea of weight. You definitely save money going with the Ibis xt kit. Not so much with xtr...especially if you don't really need some of the fancy parts like an xtr front derailleur, etc.

My LBS said that I could get the complete kit or just get a frame and piece it together myself---nothing in between. As soon as the rainy season is over I'll contact Ibis directly and see if I can do a mix and match between their kits. And maybe at a Revelation fork based on what I've read here.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    My LBS said that I could get the complete kit or just get a frame and piece it together myself---nothing in between.
    They're being lazy *****. Ibis' website allows you to make substitutions to items in the build kits and shows the price difference. Go to a different dealer.

As for price haggling there isn't much room with Ibis. Too much demand, and I think Ibis has price agreements with their dealers. When I got a SL frame I searched around and found no discounts. The shop I bought from took $100 off since I came to pick it up so they didn't have to ship.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    I put the xt kit and the xtr kit into the Competitive Cyclist website to compare and get an idea of weight.
    Guru,
    What were the weights you came up with?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    Guru,
    What were the weights you came up with?
    Right now I have a configuration that is somewhere between XT and XTR, with a few upgrades (mostly fork and wheels). I just did my virtual shopping at Competitive Cyclist, and they didn't have all the exact things that were on the standard kit. I also upgraded to better wheels and a few other things. Total weight: 11505 grams, = 25.3 pounds. I don't know how accurate their listed weights are...

Here's my list, I'm open to feedback or suggestions:

PRICE:
    $5,772.49
    FRAME:
    Ibis Mojo SL Carbon Trans Blue Large
    Front Suspension Fork:
    Rock Shox Revelation Team U-Turn Maxle Lite Black
    Brake:
    Magura Marta SL Disc Brakes 160mm Rear Red 180mm Front Rotor
    Cassettes:
    Shimano XT Cassette CS-M770 *OEM 11/34
    Chains:
    Shimano Ultegra/XT 9-Speed CN-6500 Chain
    Cranks:
    Shimano XT Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M770 175mm
    Front Derailleurs:
    Shimano XT Front Derailleur - Traditional FD-M771
    Grips:
    ESI Racer's Edge Grips Blue
    Handlebars:
    Easton Monkeylite XC Handlebar Riser Lo 31.8mm
    Headset:
    Cane Creek 110 IS Headset Red
    Pedals:
    Shimano XT Pedals PD-M770
    Rear Derailleurs:
    SRAM X.0 Rear Derailleur Redwin Red Long
    Rear Shock:
    Fox Float RP23
    Saddles:
    WTB Rocket V Pro Saddle Black
    Seatpost:
    Easton EC90 Zero Setback Seatpost 400mm 31.6mm
    Shifter:
    SRAM X.O Shorty Twist Shifters
    Cables:
    Nokon MTB Derailleur Cable Kit Red
    Stems:
    Easton EA70 Stem 100mm

Pre-Built Wheels:
    Industry Nine All Mountain Wheelset Red Spokes/Hubs Black
    Tubes:
    Continental MTB Light Tube
    Tires - Front:
    WTB Wolverine AM TCS Tire 2.20
    Tires - Rear:
    Kenda Small Block 8 Tire 2.1
    Rimstrips:
    Velox Fond de Jante Rimstrip 17mm
    Skewers:
    Salsa Stainless Suspension Flip-Off (Rear Only) Red

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooltown
    Alright, thanks for the advice, guess I'm buying a complete bike then.

So, am I a fool if I walk in and pay the sticker price on a bike like this? I feel like I should be haggling a bit on such a big investment. My shop just quoted me the exact MSRP of the 2010 Mojo SL w/SLX, which was $3299.
    I wouldn't pay full retail for anything in this day and age. With the economy the way it is, ask for a discount. If the shop won't deal go somewhere else if you have the luxury. If you live in the boonies and that shop is the only Ibis dealer for 300 miles then you're SOL. However if you live in a major city with many dealers around then someone will be willing to deal guaranteed.

bike rider
    The rims on those I9 wheels are a big question mark. If you insist on I9 hubs and spokes at least match them up to NoTubes Crest, 355, Arch, or Flow rims.
    You can save a lot of money with AmClassic or NoTubes ZTR hubs with 14/15 spokes. The AmClassics are a little lighter too. ZTRs are about the same weight.

The seatpost is 30.9mm
    Swap the Shimano chain for a KMC X9 SL, lighter.
    Get an XT 11-32 cassette. A 22-34 1st gear is too low.
    Replace the stock 44T chainridng with an Extralite 42t. Lighter and more useful on trails.
    You can save money with no change in weight or performance by going with a Cane Creek S3 headset.
    Formula R1 brakes with 160mm rotors at both ends. Lighter and supposedly more powerful so no need for the 180mm rotor in front.
    XTR pedals are 27g lighter. If you saved money on the headset spend it here.
    FSA K-Force Light carbon crank if you can afford it. Big weight drop.
    Fox RPL shock, everyone who tries it prefers it to the RP23.
    XTR front derailleur is 23g lighter. Did you save money by nixing the bling spokes?
    There are a lot of saddles that are 50g+ lighter. I like the Specialized Phenom SL.
    You should try an 80mm stem. Most people don't go back. I run a 70mm. Syntace F99 is 20g lighter.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. That's just the kind of thing I was looking for...

bike rider
    I forgot to mention that you should seriously consider a KS i950 adjustable seatpost. TOTALLY worth the added weight. You can go with or without the handlebar remote depending on your concerns over weight and cable clutter but stick with the 5" version.
    This is another part that once tried no one goes back from.

mtbr member
    Right now I have a configuration that is somewhere between XT and XTR, with a few upgrades (mostly fork and wheels). I just did my virtual shopping at Competitive Cyclist, and they didn't have all the exact things that were on the standard kit. I also upgraded to better wheels and a few other things. Total weight: 11505 grams, = 25.3 pounds. I don't know how accurate their listed weights are...

Here's my list, I'm open to feedback or suggestions:

PRICE:
    $5,772.49
    FRAME:
    Ibis Mojo SL Carbon Trans Blue Large
    Front Suspension Fork:
    Rock Shox Revelation Team U-Turn Maxle Lite Black
    Brake:
    Magura Marta SL Disc Brakes 160mm Rear Red 180mm Front Rotor
    Cassettes:
    Shimano XT Cassette CS-M770 *OEM 11/34
    Chains:
    Shimano Ultegra/XT 9-Speed CN-6500 Chain
    Cranks:
    Shimano XT Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M770 175mm
    Front Derailleurs:
    Shimano XT Front Derailleur - Traditional FD-M771
    Grips:
    ESI Racer's Edge Grips Blue
    Handlebars:
    Easton Monkeylite XC Handlebar Riser Lo 31.8mm
    Headset:
    Cane Creek 110 IS Headset Red
    Pedals:
    Shimano XT Pedals PD-M770
    Rear Derailleurs:
    SRAM X.0 Rear Derailleur Redwin Red Long
    Rear Shock:
    Fox Float RP23
    Saddles:
    WTB Rocket V Pro Saddle Black
    Seatpost:
    Easton EC90 Zero Setback Seatpost 400mm 31.6mm
    Shifter:
    SRAM X.O Shorty Twist Shifters
    Cables:
    Nokon MTB Derailleur Cable Kit Red
    Stems:
    Easton EA70 Stem 100mm

Pre-Built Wheels:
    Industry Nine All Mountain Wheelset Red Spokes/Hubs Black
    Tubes:
    Continental MTB Light Tube
    Tires - Front:
    WTB Wolverine AM TCS Tire 2.20
    Tires - Rear:
    Kenda Small Block 8 Tire 2.1
    Rimstrips:
    Velox Fond de Jante Rimstrip 17mm
    Skewers:
    Salsa Stainless Suspension Flip-Off (Rear Only) Red
    I'm a very picky shopper, and I bought my bike from Competitive Cyclist and give then 2 thumbs up! the price was right and the bike is awesome. I traded about 200 e-mails with them getting the exact build that I wanted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need advice on Mojo SL purchase-img_0233.jpg  

Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

meh
    ill play devils advocate, i built my mojo up for cheaper than list cuz i found great deals on pretty much everything (saved about 12%)...and didnt have to pay any tax (another 8.25%)

mtbr member
    So I went to the Wrench Science website (since they have a banner ad above) and compared the XT to a pieced-together kit using the same exact parts (the wheels were the only thing slightly different--I chose crossmax ST instead of the stans/xt wheels).

The Ibis pre-built kit was about $500 cheaper. But...The Ibis pre-built kit was listed as 2 pounds lighter than the same bike with the same parts. It makes me wonder who has more accurate scales.

Has anyone here bought the pre-built bikes from Ibis? Is the XT bike really 24 pounds?

mtbr member
    Has anyone here bought the pre-built bikes from Ibis? Is the XT bike really 24 pounds?
    I'd say that's a little optimistic......mine is pretty much the standard XT build on a Med SL - Easton Havoc, Fox Float 150. Non-stock items are an All Mountain Post instead of the carbon post and different tyres (Maxxis Ardent 2.25) and a race face bashguard instead of big ring. Bike weighs in a shade under 28 on two different scales with Shimano M424 pedals..... (hmm now I write it down, that's a few non-stock parts..lol...)

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008

SL with fox 150 talas 15mm thru-axle, rp23, full XT with XT wheels including pedals, Thompson seatpost, easton ea70 handlebars with Oury grips came out to 27 pounds. My answer is No WAY!