mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Mystery Stem: Ibis Ti? Helfrich Ti?

Hello. I found this stem at the LBS today. 150mm and 1.125" quill diameter. It looked special because of the beautiful welds, convex faced handlebar clamp and the smooth expander wedge. Initial research leans towards Ibis Ti or Helfrich Ti. Am I on the right track? Way to discern either one? nfs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Complete my:
    Klein Attitude XS collection: 91, 92

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by holden
    Hello. I found this stem at the LBS today. 150mm and 1.125" quill diameter. It looked special because of the beautiful welds, convex faced handlebar clamp and the smooth expander wedge. Initial research leans towards Ibis Ti or Helfrich Ti. Am I on the right track? Way to discern either one? nfs
    looks like one of those 2. the Arctos are supposed to have an even more perfect finish but i could not really make out a distinct difference when i had them next to each other. Ashok may be able to tell, at least he has sufficient material to do an in depth comparison

http://www.kalimotxo.com/mtb/parts_stems_titanium.html

Carsten

Schipperkes are cool.
    Ibis, looks just like what's on a OCLV road bike I just shipped out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten
    Ashok may be able to tell, at least he has sufficient material to do an in depth comparison
    Wow that is one addictive personality. Better ti than crack, I suppose.
    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    thanks for the help and the link mention. that was actually were i went first but couldn't distinguish the two. oh well.
    Complete my:
    Klein Attitude XS collection: 91, 92

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    I had been under the impression that ibis stems were made by Arctos -- but check at bikepro.com tells me that this is incorrect (Ibis stems were welded in-house, and the quills were machined by Paragon). Can anyone explain why the stems look so similar? Did Nichols buy/license the manufacturing rights from Helfrich?

EFR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

That's an Ibis stem

I made all the Ibis stems from inception until 1994 when I was fired for refusing to work on aluminum bikes and making a stink about declining quality. That one has a later expander style, the early ones where fluted. Another way to tell early Ibis and Arctos are the pressed allen socket on the quill. Gary licensed the stem design to us. I think the Ibis finish was better than Arctos (at least the ones I did) though I did finish a few stems from gary as well. After production was full tilt at Ibis, Gary only made custom stems to go on Arctos bikes.

TelemarkTumalo

Stem bolts

I'm following this thread with a renewed interest. I recently found a quill Ibis ti stem for my '97 Gang Green Lugi and am in the process of refurbishing it. The previous owner had let it get scratched, gritty and the handlebar binder bolt get corroded (cretin). I'd like advice on:

Can I replace the cromoly handlebar binder bolt with a ti bolt? If so, where do I find such an item?

What kind of combound does the trick for taking out scratches and stains?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    Bend, OR