Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Armor by Band-Aid

My tribute-bike to the Ibis Scorcher..

I've always appreciated the Ibis Scorcher but since it wasn't titanium I haven't been inclined to add one to my collection. Instead, I've opted to build my own interpretation of Wes' concept from a rare Cambridge-Merlin track bike. Frame, fork, stem, and seat post are titanium. Seat is an old (early 60's) Unica Nitor, bars are steel, and the drivetrain is Dura Ace NJS.

The result is a very fun bike to cruise around. This setup allows for 32c tires in the back and about a 38c up front so I might yet throw some cyclocross tires on there and hit the dirt!

Last edited by terminaut; 06-16-2006 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member

I love you

I don't know who you are, but I love you.

34N 118W

forbidden love

Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats
    I don't know who you are, but I love you.
    best to turn your eyes away and walk the other direction. Getting sucked into Term's World of Ti will only make you question what kind of man you are, what you've acheived in life, what kind of lover you are, etc. It's a dead end man, trust me.

rad bike T!

mtbr member

It's art

...that needs to be hanging in a museum, or on my wall.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I dont understand how you keep coming up with these amazing bikes. Its mind boggling trying to imagine how many titanium goodies you have. Incredible job on the bike!
    Herro prease

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    best to turn your eyes away and walk the other direction. Getting sucked into Term's World of Ti will only make you question what kind of man you are, what you've acheived in life, what kind of lover you are, etc. It's a dead end man, trust me.

rad bike T!
    You're busting my gut, guys...

HW - we need to ride!

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    I dont understand how you keep coming up with these amazing bikes. Its mind boggling trying to imagine how many titanium goodies you have. Incredible job on the bike!
    Thanks.

...I'm a very lucky man.

This frame has special significance not only in that old-Merlin made very few track frames but it was also raced by world-record holder Vic Copeland of the USPS Masters Cycling team. I Googled up a photo of him on the bike:

(from Cyclingnews)

...and racing bio:

Licensed Racer since - 1987
    USPS Teammate since - 1988
    Prestige selection - 1992, 1993, 1995 USCF Masters Rider of the Year
    World Titles - Current Masters World Record Holder; Former Masters World Track Champion; Former Masters World Games Champion
    World Year(s) - 2003 (4); 2002 (3); 1998 (3); 1995 (4)
    Nationals Titles - Current Masters Track Champion; Former Masters Nationals Road Champion; 6 time IronMan finisher
    National's Year(s) - 2004 (4); 2003 (3); 2002 (3); 2001 (3); 1999 (4); 1998; 1996 (2); 1995 (5); 1994 (5); 1993 (4); 1992 (3); 1991 (3); 1990; 1988

velocipede technician

part questions

could i get a breakdown of the build? anybody remember what the name of the girl from palo alto who raced the merlin track bike in the olympics?beautiful bike

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Term - Looks great! Good job...but you know you could have just ordered up a Ti Scorcher from Wes now that he is back in bidness...

I bet the rack is a Moots Tailgator!

You sicko!

LP

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    could i get a breakdown of the build? anybody remember what the name of the girl from palo alto who raced the merlin track bike in the olympics?beautiful bike
    Here is a brief breakdown as seen in the original photos:

Frame: Merlin titanium track, early press-fit BB style with titanium spindle
    Fork: unknown 90's fly-by-night titanium tapered unicrown
    Stem: Ibis titanium
    Headset: Tiso needle-bearing
    Headset spacers: unbranded titanium (might be Aerolite)
    Bars: Inverted/chopped steel cruiser bars
    Sadde: Unica Nitor (adjustable, in rare orange)
    Seat post: McMahon titanium tapered layback
    Cranks: Dura Ace NJS track
    Hubs: Dura Ace NJS track, high-flange
    Rack: Moots Tailgator
    Tires: Vrederstein 290TPI

I picked up some Vrederstein cross tires today... and hope to get the bike on some dirt tomorrow:

I'm also awaiting arrival of a 44-tooth chainring and at that time I'm likely going to swap out the Dura Ace stuff with Mavic...

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    Term - Looks great! Good job...but you know you could have just ordered up a Ti Scorcher from Wes now that he is back in bidness...

I bet the rack is a Moots Tailgator!

You sicko!

LP
    I may yet order something from Wes. My dilema is I'd want it to be something way cooler than the two Willits I already have... and my brain is out of ideas as to what such a bike would be. A Scorcher is "too simple", IMHO.

...And yeah you got the Tailgator right.

mtbr member

clean

I think it's that clean and simple look that is so aesthetic. that's what i like about track bikes. in that b/w photo, i can image some guy in the 1890s with a suit on swinging a leg over it.

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    I think it's that clean and simple look that is so aesthetic. that's what i like about track bikes. in that b/w photo, i can image some guy in the 1890s with a suit on swinging a leg over it.
    Yeah - I really like the clean lines of a fixed gear as well, and as some might guess... there are a couple of 1890's bikes in my stable. They're still awaiting their unveiling. Click here for a cool photo of some really early "technical" riders scorching around.

For the Brooks fans, I tried out an old Swallow from the 50's on the bike...

mtbr member
    New stuff coming soon with our official launch. Beware!
    -steven
    Retired Willits Brand Bicycles Webmaster::
    http://www.willitsbikes.com
    South Austin, Texas ::

mtbr member

>100 years

I love that old stuff. You know, more than 100 years later and contemporary bikes don't really look that different. and Term, your's look just like those. probabably way lighter, and less creaky, but the form and function are the same. willets, or somebody, is probably going to make some money on people looking to go retro. so, how does the scorcher ride? it's probably well named.

Medium?
    Bump for a cool old thread. I found it by accident with google...

Hello boys!

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Bump for a cool old thread. I found it by accident with google...

Hello boys!
    Hellya Ed! Long time, man.

I see this thread got moved to the (new?) Ibis forum. Well this bike has a lot of Mojo so I suppose it's all good. Some of the mojo has been transferred to Eric Clapton though as the orange saddle was sold to him a few months back. It's on his blog now...

http://blog.honeyee.com/eric/archive.../no_title.html

Are you out shopping for Scorchers?

It's the axle
    Oh, this is too cool! Those cranks are some of my favorites. This brings back old memories.

And I have a Unicanitor seat that still has the leather cover on it.

How did Clapton end up with the seat?

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K
    And I have a Unicanitor seat that still has the leather cover on it.

How did Clapton end up with the seat?
    The Unicanitors are true classics and I still have several (including another orange nylon one now).

EC put out the word through an "agent for bike stuff" that he wanted a vintage orange Unicanitor and I ended up selling mine. Apparently he's been into Cinelli stuff for a number of years, having raced when he was younger.

It's the axle
    OMG!

Terminaut, I have to thank you. I just lost a good hour to one of the best threads I've ever seen on this forum. And the thought of an "underground track bike pipeline".

You have an amazing stable of history and beauty.

It's like going back to my early days. I used to wonder how my friends would descend La Honda road on the SF penninsula with only a glove for a brake. And no freehub. And sewups.

just a guy...
    nice bike, but i confess; i love my Ibis Scorcher with all its Campy and Phil bits,...

what i really want to know, is where i can get a High C-Factor high-rise stem like the one in these pics for one of my other Ibis bikes? i've also got a nicely funked-out Ibis Hakkalügi that could use a higher-rise stem.

i've got a 1" threadless Ibis Ti stem that would be perfect for it, but it's a Zero rise. for now, i'm using a Salsa that's got a bit of a rise, but a high-rise Ibis Ti like the one in these pics would be _perfect_.

anyone know where i might be able to get a 1" threadless high-rise stem? preferably Ibis, preferably Ti, though i'd consider other suitably cool options.

cheers!

Unpredictable
    Looks great. Don't want to seem a worrier, but wouldn't some brakes help avoid "hitting the dirt" or something harder, for real??

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by zouch
    nice bike, but i confess; i love my Ibis Scorcher with all its Campy and Phil bits,...
    Nuttin' wrong with that. Scorchers are cool! However, I think one spirited ride on my bike would likely change your disposition. The bike handles wickedly well and can carve turns like you wouldn't believe. The light weight also allows it to burst up to speed very nicely as well. Of course, it can scorch around on leisurely Sunday rides comfortably as well.

Here's a photo of its current setup with titanium bars.

Quote Originally Posted by zouch
    i've also got a nicely funked-out Ibis Hakkalügi that could use a higher-rise stem.
    Your Hakkalügi needs this....

I'd trade it for a long (130mm-ish?) negative-rise ti stem.

Keep it cranked!
    -Tam

PS: Post up some photos of your bike!

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise
    Looks great. Don't want to seem a worrier, but wouldn't some brakes help avoid "hitting the dirt" or something harder, for real??
    Neah... brakes would just slow me down!

In all seriousness though, the routes I ride are fairly tame. Here's an old video of me scorchin' from my house to some trails.

Link to 21MB video
    Last edited by terminaut; 06-20-2008 at 06:20 PM.

just a guy...
    hi Tam!

i'm sure the Ti Scorcher is fun to ride; my problem is that i love the old style that mine exhibits now and i wouldn't be able to get rid of it. you know that means we'd have to have the "Another Bike?!" conversation at the house,...

that stem you pic'd would be just about perfect, except that my current 'lügi is one of the last ones, with 1" *threadless*.
    as if we didn't make enough problems for ourselves trying to make these things our idea of cool, i'm trying to do it with one that's got one of the shortest-lived steerer configurations in history,...

i'm off for travel again here shortly, but will look into getting some pics up after i return.

cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast