Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

My thought on My Mojo after my 1st ride

Hi all,

I just finally received my pike race back from rockshox and was able to take the mojo for a real ride.

Here is a quick spec on my mojo:
    Here is my L Green Mojo:
    Fork: RockShox Pike Race
    Crank: FSA VDrive MegaExo
    SeatPost: Thompson Elite
    Stem: Easton EA 50
    Brake: Hayes HFX9 Carbon
    Saddle: Fizik Nisene
    Wheels: Mavic 317
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal Stick-E
    Pedal: Crank Brother Candy C
    Handlebar: ???
    R Derailleur: sram x9
    F D: sram x-gen
    x9 shifter

I'm gonna be writing my thought on the mojo in comparison to my 05 MKIII Expert and FYI, i'm not an expert mtber so keep that in mind.

CLIMBING:
    I have to say that the bike climb very well, a lot better than I thought actually. I climbed Cholla(Aliso wood) with fork fully extended to 140 and the rear sock set to open and the Mojo never bob at all!!!! I didn't expect the mojo to bob because my MKIII didn't bob either. However, I was really surprised that the front wheel never lifted at all even with the fork is fully extended. I have to at least lower my fork to 120 on my MKIII whenever I climb.

DESCENDING:
    The Mojo rides like a dream going down all the fire road descent between the top of Cholla to top of the world. It rode so nice and smooth that I found my self going a lot faster than I normally would. However when I went down rock-it and hit the rock-garden, I felt a lot more chatter on the rear wheel in comparison to my MKIII. I felt that the MKIII can absorb the bigger rock & drop much better. However, I'm not too sure if that was because I was going down it faster than I normally would on my MKIII.

The mojo definetely feel a lot lighter on the pedal and can hold its line much better compare to the MKIII. I definetely like it so far and it was definetely worth the upgrade!!

Thanks for reading.

mtbr member

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by houseofmusic
    However when I went down rock-it and hit the rock-garden, I felt a lot more chatter on the rear wheel in comparison to my MKIII. I felt that the MKIII can absorb the bigger rock & drop much better. However, I'm not too sure if that was because I was going down it faster than I normally would on my MKIII.
    I am not sure what "chatter' you are referring to but just in case remember to install some chainstay protection! Especially below the chainstay the chain can generate a lot of noise in the conditions you describe. Check out some suggestions here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...75#post2386375

Otherwise: Congratulations for the Mojo

It's the axle
    That was my first thought. The lower chain stay on the Mojo gets some chain action.

It's good to hear positive results. Happy riding to you.

I was going to post about my fiftieth ride. It just gets better. As I start dialing in the suspension, I'm finding the bike to melt in with the trail more with each ride. I turned off the rear propedal this time. It climbs and descends better with it off, I believe.

When I was a kid I bought a road bike with Campanolo Record. I couldn't believe how beautiful it was. I kept that bike in my room. Sewups. Columbus tubing. That Campy stuff has a special look to it. That bike is one of my prized possesions, still. I can tell the Mojo is also like that. I'll never tire of it.

I have one other prized possesion. My 1961 Case backhoe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg ME.JPG (120.8 KB, 1082 views)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    sorry for not being clear about what the chatter is, but what I mean was that the bike rode rougher compare to the MKIII. It almost felt like the rear wheel was bouncing off the rock instead of smoothly rolling over it. I dont know if that was what actually happening or not but that's certainly how I felt. However, I'm not saying that its horrible, it was still much better compare to 06 stumpjumper expert. I just felt that the MKIII was smoother.

Maybe I need to adjust the rear shock and make it more plush but I dont know if htat will make the bike bob during a climb or not. I guess I just need to try it.

Green Mojo

first ride impressions

Try increasing your sag and going for slightly plusher ride. I love my green mojo and am just as fanatical - though my wife will not allow me to keep it in bedroom at night....

I will say that even with lizard skin you can get some chain chatter. Also use a little care when shifting to granny gear under any load - I find this bike can be sensitive or prone to chain suck (has happened once).

As I said above, I LOVE my bike. Racked up unbelievable hours on it in few short months I have had it.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by bikerneil; 04-13-2007 at 06:32 AM.

holding back the darkness
    After my first ride I noticed that I had severely chewed up the bottom of the chainstay just behind the little chainsuck protector. The Guiness Foam is gone. Seems like this area is particularly susceptible to damage... the way the stay dips low seems to disagree with the angle the chain comes off the granny ring when combined with some of the higher/middle range gears.... I chipped some paint off this area when I was just setting up the drivetrain and was sizing the chain.
    **** censorship

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    After my first ride I noticed that I had severely chewed up the bottom of the chainstay just behind the little chainsuck protector. The Guiness Foam is gone. Seems like this area is particularly susceptible to damage... the way the stay dips low seems to disagree with the angle the chain comes off the granny ring when combined with some of the higher/middle range gears.... I chipped some paint off this area when I was just setting up the drivetrain and was sizing the chain.
    I was looking at that area and tried the largest Lizard Skin chainstay protector and it wouldn't fit. I might try two normal size protectors together and see if that works. I noticed some noise there, also on my test ride. I also want to put some clear protection on the BB shell and the inside of the chainstays behind the BB. The shop put some on the downtube.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I was looking at that area and tried the largest Lizard Skin chainstay protector and it wouldn't fit. I might try two normal size protectors together and see if that works. I noticed some noise there, also on my test ride. I also want to put some clear protection on the BB shell and the inside of the chainstays behind the BB. The shop put some on the downtube.
    Handlebar tape really works and you can put as much of it as you want, and pretty much in any location. You do not need to cover the whole chainstay, but only onder it (I go for the length) and some of the top. The set up I show eliminates all the noise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I have Lizard Skins Jumbo on my Mojo. Super Jumbo was too big.
    http://lizardskins.com/products/view...&page_number=1

It is tight, but it fits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver

Do you have a picture of the area where the foam is gone?

not handy.. I'll try to post one later. Be warned! It is not for the faint of heart. You may want to ask any small children or those particularly sensitive to traumatic images to leave the room. I'll post pics of the chainstay, an area near the rear dropout on the drive side, and even a chip that the seatpost QR took out. I think the main components of the guiness foam paint are eggshells, swarovski crystal and osteoporotic hips; or any number of easily shatterable materials. I'm about ready to have the whole frame clear-bra'ed.
    Anyone else having these issues? I tend to project a higher-than-normal level of entropy.
    **** censorship

mojo mofo
    I also have the jumbo Lizard skin on there, I wish it was longer to cover the whole distance from the metal chainsuck guard all the way to the seatstay bend. It was a bit tight, but not really, not sure why people are having problems putting them on. Maybe they're just not used to wrapping jumbo sized objects.

I might get some handlebar tape to finish the job.

Subliminal, did you go out for a ride on the thing without any protection on the chainstay? Other than the clear tape from the factory, of course. You crazy commando.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    For what it is worth. I run a length of split inner tube the length of the stay and wrap the stay from the BB to the dropout with teflon tape to secure it and make sure the chain sees only drops if it hits the tape.

Do you have a picture of the area where the foam is gone?
    Here's the damage so far.... and to answer the questions: I DID have protection! I had the lizard skins neoprene deal up to the point of the chainsuck protector, but it slipped back during riding because the fit isn't great. But I can take my lumps for that...shoulda known better. It's these other places that concern me. Maybe I'l a little hard on my toys... I have thousands of miles on my singlespeed frame and it's been knocked around and beat down for almost 10 years, and yeah it's got chips on the stays and around the BB and in that litle chainsuck area.. but it's been ten years. MY Mojo is already starting to look beat up. I guess I just expected the finish to be a little more durable. I thought I was going overboard with the clearbra, but I guess I need more. This bike is a tool. It is a beautiful, aesthetically pleasing form-on-level-with-function, infused with soul from the factory- tool. It gets dirty and beat up and scratched and used. That's why I bought it. I didn't buy it to keep it in the bedroom and coddle it and take pretty pretty pictures of it and to obtain the envy of folks far and wide as I drive around with it on top of the car, and I didn't buy it as a conversation piece for the parking lot. I bought it because I thought it would work and because I like its style. But I didn't think the paint would flake off with casual impact. In about a month I'm pretty sure it's gonna look like @#$!.

And that is a pretty huge disappointment.

I don't think I should have to put protective tape over the ENTIRE frame.

If I didn't love the color I'd be wishing for the naked carbon, although at this rate it's going to be naked carbon fairly soon.

Last edited by subliminalshiver; 04-13-2007 at 08:15 PM.
    **** censorship

It's the axle
    My only suggestion is to keep it in the big chainring and second from largest gear of the freewheel when going downhill.

After about a thousand miles on my bike, thrashing and bushwacking and riding down stairs, it only has a few small chips on the underside of the chainstay.

Ouch. The area under the seat stay by the freewheel is pretty roughed up on mine too. It doesn't show up on the naked frame like on paint. Waaa!

It's time for the frame protection tape.
    Last edited by Gregg K; 04-13-2007 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Subliminal,

Those images are pretty nasty. I'm really glad that I stuck with the naked carbon.

Ibis should market a custom cut clear film for their Mojo's. I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Nokon cables?

Hi Subliminal,

Are those Nokon cable housings on your bike?

I ask, because I got Nokons for my new Mojo, and have had a terrible time setting up the rear derailleur. I go it to the point where it worked OK, but if I hit any sizeable bump while pedaling it would more often than not ghost shift. Even on the stand, it just seems to act crazy (inconsitent shifting behavior cycling back an forth between the gears). Not sure if it is the cables, but besides the frame itself, they are the only things different from the other bikes I hae set up (XT rapidfire shifters and derailleurs).

Did you have any troubles with setting up the rear shifting w/the Nokons, or ghost shifting issues?

For Chain stay protection, did you consider the kevlar, stick-on lizard skins chain stay guards? You can trim them to any shape and they stick very well. they don't slide around and move and trap dirt under them like the stretchy lizard skins (which can also cause cosmetic damage, though not as bad). They are tough, too, and can be strategically placed instead of just covering the entire stay on all sides.

Shawn

What would be even nicer is if Ibis clear coated the frame. It appears that the enamel is the outside layer. A clear coat scratches and even wears away, but this is coming off in flakes. Like it's too brittle.
    Cry cry. I'll stop whining soon and begin a slow process of frame cleaning and complete protection.
    The ride is well balanced, stable, and strangely agile. It sticks like a twelve-inch pin. It climbs like a bottle rocket.
    As for the Nokons... They are great. absolutely no problems, no set up issues, and stellar shifting.
    **** censorship

Update!

I sent Ibis an email this afternoon regarding the chips in my paint and got a reply from the man himself, Scot Nicol this evening. A sincere, REAL reply! With evidence of genuine concern! Maybe Scot and his merry band of Ibisians missed class the day that Corporate Indifference 101 was taught.
    In any case I would like to set my record straight. I am not a disgruntled customer who is seeking retribution. I am a mosty-satisfied customer who is on the path to Ibis devotion.
    The proof is in the pudding and time will tell what the outcome will be, but thus far I am impressed.

Stay tuned...
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    May 2006

Naked Rules Then!

Well that kills my bright colour lust......naked it is and all ways will be!

Hold the phone...

In all fairness I have been dealing with the Ibisians on this issue. They seem fairly convinced that this is an isolated problem. A fluke. A mishap. A statistically insignificant deviation from normal. Not to mention they responded to my emails within hours.
    And they found a solution to the problem that I am VERY happy with.
    I'm pretty sure there aren't very many companies out there where the two top dogs respond to customer service issues personally. Let alone within the same day.
    I was definitely disappointed with the condition of my bike in the pics above. However, I am a satisfied customer because they're not only making it right, but they're doing it so fast. I haven't ever got this degree of CS- from anywhere. Even my LBS, or favorite restaurant, or even in my mother's kitchen (sorry mom, you're a close second). Like I said in a previous post: I love this bike. I love the Guiness Foam color. And after corresponding with Scot and Tom I'm still glad I got a painted frame.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    I'm glad (but not suprised) that Ibis has taken steps to make you a happy customer.

These days, it's pretty rare to get a response from any company on the same day - let alone from the designers/execs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    whould this work with the MOJO?

http://www.ajsbikeparts.com/web-AJBIKEPARTs/AJ's%20Frameguard.htm

mtbr member
    whould this work with the MOJO?

http://www.ajsbikeparts.com/web-AJBIKEPARTs/AJ's%20Frameguard.htm

I emailed AJ's a few weeks ago asking if this part would work with the Mojo and he wrote back saying he had just sent one to a shop to be fitted and he thought it would work. If you email him you can probably find out for sure now. Looks like a good part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW
    I emailed AJ's a few weeks ago asking if this part would work with the Mojo and he wrote back saying he had just sent one to a shop to be fitted and he thought it would work. If you email him you can probably find out for sure now. Looks like a good part.

I just got Aj's Frameguard installed on my MOJO, I'll let u know how it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast