Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

My Shortened Downieville Trip

Having trouble typing so pictures are going to have to handle most of this...

The garage the night before. Not enough Ibis representation, but I think I was a trendsetter in colors

The rig as it should be, with more money on the back than the value of the truck

The plant was a gift for my parents since they let this motley crew stay at their house for a night. I have the googles on.

Packing up at my parents house after riding Tamarancho/Endor Flow Trail. It was a huckabuck loading and unloading for one ride, but worth it. Did not take any pics out there, but so much fun.

Off to Tahoe for Hole in the Ground. A great but BRUTAL ride for a flatlander like me. 8K' of elevation slows me down quite a bit...

Artsy!

Next day was Downieville. We did not stop for a lot pictures since we were going to ride it again on Friday prior to the race...

There has to be at least one flat on every trip

So yesterday we headed over to Northstar for so lift action.

My buddy gets so much air that the camera can't keep up!

About as much style as I can get...

Finished up the day with no incidents and everyone was happy. Time to cruise back to the lodge for a beer and to swap some stories. Or so we thought. Sniper rock came up a grabbed my left foot and I went down HARD. I knew instantly it was not good. Two of the guys I was riding with are ER nurses and they could not palpate my right collar bone. Yep, pretty much gone. Decided to pass on the ER and booked a flight back to SD from Reno so I could get to the ER there. Was on a plane 2.5 hours after the crash on my way home. My buddies kicked me out at the curb and headed back to Dville. Here is the end result

Good thing is that one of them is taking my All Mountain spot. I am sure they have having lots of fun right now, probably just finishing up another run! Oh well, maybe next year...

Too Much Fun
    MOTHER F.

Heal Fast!

...so were you on the trail when you went down? ...as in still "riding" or was it one of those nasty "cruise mode" crashes that seem to be the weird/bad ones....
    Last edited by benja55; 08-02-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: made no sense
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Should heal without surgery (I fix bones for a living). Bummer about your trip though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ouch! Best wishes for a speedy recovery from Down Under.

Lightly salted
    Bummer. Hope your able to get back on the bike soon!

Team Chilidog!
    Healing vibes! Hang in there. The rider down forum here is also pretty good at sharing experiences, but keep us updated.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Sorry to hear about your crash! I hope it doesn't take long till your riding again.

Bike Addiction
    Damn the luck. Heal quick but don't over do it. Friend ended up getting back on the horse too soon and really made a mess of it. Sorry about your trip.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Saw the ortho today and they reshot the films. No way it is healing without a plate. Surgery next Friday. Here is a better shot.

It was a weird crash, not doing anything hard. Had just come through a rock chute and was rolling out the bottom. Left pedal strike ejected me off the right side directly onto my shoulder and head. Shoulder obviously did not fare well. I can't wait to see the video on Monday when my bike makes it back to San Diego. I got onto the airplane still wearing my riding jersey so I did not bring anything with me.

As part of this I cannot recommend the POC MIPS helmets enough. Again, I most definitely should have had a big concussion with a massive impact to my head which I hit as hard as my shoulder. Not even a headache and I can tell you I will never use a non MIPS helmet again. For those of you not aware

MIPS | Take a look in the latest issue of Popular Science

BTW I have no affiliation with POC, they are just the only helmet manufacturer using MIPS technology.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yikes, yep that needs a plate:/ Much more displaced than the prior radiograph. The good news is that you should be on the bike faster vs. non-surgical treatment.

mtbr member
    Correction, it looks like there are a few manufacturers using it now. Pick the style you like, but do yourself a favor and make sure you get something with this technology.

mtbr member
    Heal fast and well SP!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sorry to hear your crash. Hope you heal soon. Me and two buddies are going to Downieville next weekend for 3 days.

Thanks for recommending MIPS helmet. I just bought a POC, non MIPS. Will get a MIPS instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Dude! Healing vibes out to you, what a terrible way to end a trip! I think you need to sell your full suspension bikes & pick up a rigid 29"er single speed!

aka dan51
    Hella weak!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Mtb Guide
    Just got in from a big days dig, nearly ready to test my new line and was stoked and just enjoying this thread, piccs of you lads etc was looking fwd to epic ness of Downieville!

Dam thats is a total bummer dude, like the rest of the boys heal up fast bro and get back out they're, sure the others will capture the good stuff for you!

mtbr member
    They are lining up right now! I am sure they are stoked. Will add some videos early next week so you can get a good feel for Dville. I have almost an entire 1 hour DH run in full 1080P!

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

As part of this I cannot recommend the POC MIPS helmets enough. Again, I most definitely should have had a big concussion with a massive impact to my head which I hit as hard as my shoulder. Not even a headache and I can tell you I will never use a non MIPS helmet again. For those of you not aware

BTW I have no affiliation with POC, they are just the only helmet manufacturer using MIPS technology.
    Heal well and fast!

MIPS has partnered with a few other companies now MIPS | Safest helmets in the market which might be tough to find in the US, but POC was their first big entity: POC and MIPS Collaborate on New Styles | Mountain Bike Review

I ride the Receptor Backcountry MIPS on ugly terrain, and during the cooler months and also use it for skiing.

Glad I have as yet not needed to test the MIPS technology!

Mtb Guide
    Awesome dude, look fwd to the vids, no rush!

You just rest up dude, hope ya got an iPad or something to make typing easier and a good nurse looking after you, make you heal up faster

Mtb Guide
    I have the googles on.
    bad mofos, this is what its all about people not how big ya wheel size is or can a Han Dampf fit in my rear, road trips with the boys having fun riding bikes and goofing off, yeah boi looking killer we all know thats a hootchie plant ya shocker ya just doing a run to the border lol

That VP bike looks sic, the green apple umm sort of spoils the party haha just kidding sic puppies!!
    That water bottle worries me a bit, did you crash with that on?

Still love white aye, really miss a white option in the new HDR range big mistake white is a popular colour , love the new colors but ya have to have white with updated graphics in the range somehow aye, maybe a reverse Shelby Blue and White.

Nice looking drop and great style they're SP very nice!

You didn't clear the dirt log, were you doing a Cedric on Peaty

mtbr member
    Its just an optical illusion. We were landing well below there, down at the end of the sunny spot. Here is a shot from the other side

It was a park day so no bottle when I crashed. It is there for longer rides. I agree with you on road trips. Not much better in life.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Its just an optical illusion. We were landing well below there, down at the end of the sunny spot. Here is a shot from the other side

It was a park day so no bottle when I crashed. It is there for longer rides. I agree with you on road trips. Not much better in life.
    Sic, cool, awesome, haha, nice work SP

mtbr member
    Crazy to crash like that. sucks. Was just gonna hit you up and say we should get together and ride somewhere sometime since were local too...

Dropshot Champ!
    damnit that sucks man, heal up quick!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Crazy to crash like that. sucks. Was just gonna hit you up and say we should get together and ride somewhere sometime since were local too...

You have some crazy fast times at Tamarancho! Definitely need to hook up once I am back on the bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast