Thread: My Ripley

mtbr member

My Ripley

Here's my Ripley so far, It's a large, 27.2lbs
    Fox 34 140mm up front, 34t single ring in front. Loving it so far, handles great, I'm 6'2 so with my usual handlebar/stem setup its a little close out of the saddle, but works for now, considering switching out the fork for a new Rockshox Pike.

As far as the shock, I've found I'm running it about 5-10psi above the recommended pressure for my weight (185lbs), and yet still in the climbing mode, it seems to have much more pedaling "bob" then I'd expect, bike has about 250 miles on it so far, and I doubt there's an issue with the Fox shock, has anyone had and time with the X-Fusion Microlite on their Ripley? I'm considering switching to that to save a little weight, and also because of the full lockout, I'm a little cautious about going that route however because I'm not sure how much of a beating the Microlite will handle, Racing Downieville here in a few weeks, Don't want anything to fail me!

My Ripley-p4pb9795611.jpg
    Conner "Big Bear" Kuhns
    San Jose, CA

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice build !!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Lopes ran the Microlite on a Ripley for the Enduro in Europe. If that isn't one hell of a blessing for it being durable enough, I don't know what is. ;D

Great looking ride. Congrats!

Racing Enduro World Series Round #1

"For the most part, my and Brianís set-ups were very similar. We relied on the 34mm platform X-Fusion Trace RL2 140mm forks up front. In the rear, Brianís Ibis Ripley ran the Microlite RL. Despite being a shock designed for XC racing, it was able to tackle even the chunkiest terrain in Punta Ala."

My Ripley-lopes.jpg

More Torque

My Ripley

Quote Originally Posted by Conner_Kuhns View Post
    Here's my Ripley so far, It's a large, 27.2lbs
    Fox 34 140mm up front, 34t single ring in front. Loving it so far, handles great, I'm 6'2 so with my usual handlebar/stem setup its a little close out of the saddle, but works for now, considering switching out the fork for a new Rockshox Pike.

As far as the shock, I've found I'm running it about 5-10psi above the recommended pressure for my weight (185lbs), and yet still in the climbing mode, it seems to have much more pedaling "bob" then I'd expect, bike has about 250 miles on it so far, and I doubt there's an issue with the Fox shock, has anyone had and time with the X-Fusion Microlite on their Ripley? I'm considering switching to that to save a little weight, and also because of the full lockout, I'm a little cautious about going that route however because I'm not sure how much of a beating the Microlite will handle, Racing Downieville here in a few weeks, Don't want anything to fail me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb9795611.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	816465
    Are you getting bob even with PP on? I thought the newer ctd shocks were supposed to have a much better compression damping range.

Also, try increasing the rebound on the climbs. This helps on the mojo.

-D

mtbr member
    Frame and fork for sale, other parts as well, all except wheels.
    Conner "Big Bear" Kuhns
    San Jose, CA

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner_Kuhns View Post
    Frame and fork for sale, other parts as well, all except wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'd love to hear this story. I'm assuming he's getting an XL? Large seems pretty small for a 6'2" guy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm the same height, with the ripley being a short bike TT wise and headtube length wise, would I be better off going with a XL as opposed to a large? I'm 6'2" with a 34-35 inch inseam.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Go ride them.......I thought I would want a large...was so convinced by it that I would have ordered a Large. Well after riding a Medium and a Large.......there's no doubt now that I would need a medium.

mtbr member

My Ripley

Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    I'm the same height, with the ripley being a short bike TT wise and headtube length wise, would I be better off going with a XL as opposed to a large? I'm 6'2" with a 34-35 inch inseam.
    If you, like me, don't have the option of a test ride: look at the geo numbers and go extra large.

In my book it is better to compensate with a slightly bigger frame and shorter stem rather than a smaller frame and longer stem. A smaller frame with a long seat post will give you a very sporty position and alter the balance of the rear suspension (and bike) with a rearward weight bias. Also factor in any extra width/sweep of the bar. I am 6' 1 1/2" with even longer legs than you and have ordered XL.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I don't really have an option of a test ride, I know that I don't need a medium, I currently ride a 26'er fuel ex in a 19.5" frame size. I think an xl might be a bit too long for me in the top tube area, I don't like the feeling of sitting behind the front wheel really far. The ripley is definitely a short bike and I would like the playability of a shorter wheelbase and tight handling.