Thread: my new ripley!

mtbr member
    May 2007

my new ripley!

Hey all,

My Ripley arrived yesterday, although by the time I got it all put together, it started pouring out so I was not able ride it yet. Bike looks sweet though, the frame is just beautiful. Although I have not seen the black/green, I'm glad I went with the blue. It looks great in person.The only problem is the paint chips and scratches very easily. I accidentally hit the frame with a rotor while installing the back wheel and that's all it took to put a nice sized scratch down the to black carbon. Oh well. This is my first all carbon bike, and I guess that's common? Anyway, attached is a very crappy cell phone pic, sorry, that's all I can share since I didn't load my other pics from my camera. I'll update with more later.

I went with the XT build, maxxis crossmark and ardent tires, stans arch ex with dt 350s, lev dropper, and the only thing that hasn't come in yet is my saddle, so I grabbed an old one I had laying around. Hopefully the weather will clear up around here and I'll get out on a ride this weekend.

my new ripley!-2013-05-09-19.16.04.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks like it is going to be a lot of fun. 120 or 140 fork?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I went with the 120. I live in the midwest and figured I didn't need the longer fork.

The one thing that really catches my eye is that overall it seems to be the size of a 26er, just with larger wheels stuffed in there. I hope that makes sense. I take this as a good thing, figuring (and obviously my first ride will tell) that it will handle like a 26.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You're going to love it. I rode mine for the first time last Sunday. I was impressed with its ability to climb coupled with its plushness on the downhill. I've ridden it only once due to heavy rains in the Denver area. I'm hoping to spend more time on it this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    congrats on the new whip, i just read BIKE mag's glowing review of the Ripley in their latest issue - sounds like a good fun!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I took the ripley out yesterday for about 25 miles on my local trails in SE wisconsin. The bike is amazing. I could not believe how it handled, nothing like previous 29ers I've been on. It turns extremely well, climbs better than any bike I've been on, and is very fast. After 15 or so years on 26'' bikes, I was a little concerned about how I would like a 29er. Well I love it. It is very quick and nimble feeling. Ibis did a great job.

I don't want to give a big detailed review because I'm by no means an expert and I don't have a lot of experience with bikes at this level. I would only be repeating what others on this forum have stated anyway, as I agree with most of what has been said. I know a few have stated that the Ripley doesn't descend well, but in my opinion it descended great. Overall I felt (and my buddy commented on this too) a lot more confident on this bike then my old stumpjumper.