mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My new "old" ibis

Just wanted to show off my latest project. Grant Peterson of Rivendell/Bridgestone fame seems to think m-bars are the next best thing to the round wheel so I had to see what the hype was. The Ibis had been sitting around for the last few years ever since I got a full squishy and a single speed. I finally decided to try and convert it to a cross bike. I threw on some skinny tires that I got at the Ibis factory sale years ago. It's not as fast as my road bike, but it moves pretty fast. The gearing's a bit low with the new tires. Other vintage component highlights include Suntour Barcons (in friction mode), a Bonty fork, Paul Stoplights, and Mafac brake levers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mwr
    brain donor
    So what's your verdict on the moustachio bars? I tried them and basically hate them,. mostly because the brake lever is in a pretty useless position (for me)..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just built it up and haven't taken it very far. I put off taping so I can test and switch it out if I don't like it. I think they'll work well for smooth trails and fire roads. My position is less aggressive than my other bikes and the bars are comfortable for general cruising. I agree that the brake lever positioning is awkward. This is why I don't think it'll work for technical stuff. I can't get a good enough grip on the bars while braking.

mtbr member
    Boy that sure is a pretty bike!!!!! gotta build something similar myself!!

Will