mtbr member
    Nov 2012

My Mojo SL is a tad bit lighter

I decided to take a few things off that I don't need starting with my third ring, front derailleur, and front break. I probably shaved off a few grams. I know for certain the stock SLX chainrings bolts were not alloy. All the riding I do doesn't require all that stopping force. I find myself a better rider without them...may be because I am focusing so much more on setting up for the next few turns. Also, mounted some 2.4 trail kings which i haven't tested out yet.

Dropshot Champ!
    it'd be lighter without a rear brake too.

Unless you're scared.

lol can't tell if trolling.

I took off my front wheel to save weight. I'm way faster when I wheelie rock gardens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    it'd be lighter without a rear brake too.

Unless you're scared.

lol can't tell if trolling.

I took off my front wheel to save weight. I'm way faster when I wheelie rock gardens.
    Just sharing my build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My Mojo SL is a tad bit lighter-kingofpopcorn1.jpg

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Slammed seat and 130mm stem...looks like some great bike fitting going on there...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anything else lol wow great crowd i am better off just going ride.

Let's Ride!
    You'd be better off to not ride that thing, it's dangerous. Also, the seat angle and having it slammed seems like you're using it for DJ or Downhill.......but that stem length doesn't make sense for anything but XC riding on a rigid.
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What wheelset?

aka dan51
    Should have saved this for 4/1/2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    lol ok guys lessons learned....got your message....the seat is down because that is the only way it loads up in the suv. sorry for wasting everyone's time, but i did enjoy the laughs.

Too Much Fun

Hope Tough Crowd!

Happy Monday!

And to each their own, live & let live etc.

But... It's a pretty weird setup you posted (no ft brake, long stem, slammed seat etc) but if it's working for you then go for it. I guess.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's cool. I don't touch the seat too much or peddle in the saddle much either. the terrain in south louisiana is not technically mountain conditions. most of the trails are setup like a bmx track through the woods with plenty of roots and mud. The suspension is used to pad much of the shock in my shoulders and back which was taken away by 17 years of football. does being 6'2" help you understand the setup...and again that is not the normal ride height of my seat. this little tip might help you understand the riding conditions...my 10 year old son can get around the 15 miles of trails on his 20" haro with only back cantilever brakes.

Let's Ride!
    I'd say the reason you got the feedback you did is you have a lot of bike for riding what you say your son can ride on a bmx...........why not get a bike that fits.........and really, if you aren't racing, then why are you trying to save weight by removing a brake?? And I'm 6'7" , I understand doing things to make a bike fit...........you posted an aggressive all mountain bike that's set up as a bmx style trail bike, it's going to get you some flak...........sorry man...........

mtbr member

It is also a little weird you are 6'2" and a former football player, which i am guessing means you are big, and worried about a few ounces. That is a cool ride though but I would put the front brake back on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    I'd say the reason you got the feedback you did is you have a lot of bike for riding what you say your son can ride on a bmx...........why not get a bike that fits.........and really, if you aren't racing, then why are you trying to save weight by removing a brake?? And I'm 6'7" , I understand doing things to make a bike fit...........you posted an aggressive all mountain bike that's set up as a bmx style trail bike, it's going to get you some flak...........sorry man...........
    So you guys can't accept a rider with a passion for great bikes that took a front brake off..because he's not a racer, not trying to save weight for competitions, just removed them because the rear stopping force was enough and there is no logical use in carrying extra components. i enjoy less moving parts...less to worry about fixing on the trail if it breaks. being lighter is always a good thing regardless of racing...better handling = happier rider = more miles etc. when you are bored i guess you just look for stuff to play around with. sorry to offend folks not here to ruffle any feathers. i personally would never give flak to anyone's build even if it didn't conform. do what you please and have a good time doing it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrogs View Post
    It is also a little weird you are 6'2" and a former football player, which i am guessing means you are big, and worried about a few ounces. That is a cool ride though but I would put the front brake back on.
    put the front brake back on for looks?

Let's Ride!
    I don't think anyone here wants to offend you, but you need to take into account that you're posting a picture of your bike for people to look at on a forum that's all about "discussion". I agree on bike fit it's hard for someone who knows nothing of your riding style, or stature, but you posted that in the name of weight savings you're taking off a front Disc Brake from an All Mountain bike, where most people try and have the best, and most safe stopping power available, you just made your bike dangerous. And really, when braking it's supposed to be 80% front and 20% rear so you'd be safer to remove the rear brake. Keep in mind, some of us may be or have been bike mechanics, or just have many many years of experience in fit and performance, and again, I seriously doubt anyone really wants to offend you, you just truly did something stupid and should fix it before you get hurt...........

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    I don't think anyone here wants to offend you, but you need to take into account that you're posting a picture of your bike for people to look at on a forum that's all about "discussion". I agree on bike fit it's hard for someone who knows nothing of your riding style, or stature, but you posted that in the name of weight savings you're taking off a front Disc Brake from an All Mountain bike, where most people try and have the best, and most safe stopping power available, you just made your bike dangerous. And really, when braking it's supposed to be 80% front and 20% rear so you'd be safer to remove the rear brake. Keep in mind, some of us may be or have been bike mechanics, or just have many many years of experience in fit and performance, and again, I seriously doubt anyone really wants to offend you, you just truly did something stupid and should fix it before you get hurt...........
    yes sir...lol i am done here. thanks for looking out for a fellow rider. you guys have a good week.

mtbr member
    Sad thing is, you have a nice bike. Removing front brake for weight loss yet running 2.4 tires! I myself am 6-2 210lbs and realize it is easier for me to push around my 32lb bike than say a guy that is 5-9 170lbs. Put the brake back on get a proper stem and ride your bike.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by melan47 View Post
    put the front brake back on for looks?
    No not for looks. For stopping. What if someone wrecks on front of you? My grandma is 88 and drives 14 mph everywhere doesn't mean I think she should take the brakes off of her car. Stopping is important. No one is trying to insult you. Everyone is trying to help you.