mtbr member

My Ibis Mojo Photo Essay...

...and here's the new medium Ibis Mojo photo shoot:

My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

Green Mojo
    That's some sweet carbon. Now go get it dirty! I hope you enjoy yours HALF as much as I do - if you do, it will be the best $$ you ever spent.

It's the axle
    This is an order!

Get thee to Montana de Oro. And get dirt on that bike. NOW.

Oh yeah. Nice build.

mtbr member
    I had Pick-N-Shovel in mind for the maiden run
    My Wanted List:

It's the axle
    I've never heard of that one.

I went to school at Cal Poly. Many moons ago. I thought I had ridden most of the trails in the area. Now I'm getting nostalgic. Those were great years. Madonna every single day for four years. Even in the snow.

mtbr member
    Yeah, my wife and I came to the area in '94 for me to attend Poly. We fell in love with the place and decided to stay.

I'm sure you're familiar with the Cuesta Ridge if you lived and rode here. The trails on West Cuesta, in order, are Stagecoach (sort of a trail), Rollercoaster, Shooters (some old-timers call it "Greengate"), Morning Glory, Pick-N-Shovel and the What Trail. Past that is Cerro Alto. There are certainly other obscure trails out there, but these are the most popular.

There's actually an interesting read about the "What Trail" here:

The What Trail
    My Wanted List:

It's the axle
    Oh man! Talk about memories. I know those all intimately.

There is also the Ridge to Lopez lake trail. Lots of creek crossings. And coming down from the ridge towards the men's prison there is a minefield of babies head sized rocks. I remember being behind John Loomis when he took those (all on rigids back then) like they weren't even there. And a trail that comes out behind the San Luis high school that's about as steep as one can ride. Too many to mention.

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was leaving SLO. And another was forgoing the purchase of the last 103 acres of land right at the train trestle. I could have had the rollers for a backyard. Instead, I got a sampling of riding all the way up into Oregon. But I have a love of the place and the people in SLO.

If only my photos were digital. Imagine a sunny day with three guys sitting on a rock, and a guy sailing by on a hang glider. Or being on the peak of Mt. Madonna, and a guy in a yellow biplane flying right by and waving.

I want to turn back the clock. Oh, wait, that would make me penniless. Go ahead, turn it back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K
    Oh man! Talk about memories. I know those all intimately.

There is also the Ridge to Lopez lake trail. Lots of creek crossings. And coming down from the ridge towards the men's prison there is a minefield of babies head sized rocks. I remember being behind John Loomis when he took those (all on rigids back then) like they weren't even there. And a trail that comes out behind the San Luis high school that's about as steep as one can ride. Too many to mention.

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was leaving SLO. And another was forgoing the purchase of the last 103 acres of land right at the train trestle. I could have had the rollers for a backyard. Instead, I got a sampling of riding all the way up into Oregon. But I have a love of the place and the people in SLO.

If only my photos were digital. Imagine a sunny day with three guys sitting on a rock, and a guy sailing by on a hang glider. Or being on the peak of Mt. Madonna, and a guy in a yellow biplane flying right by and waving.

I want to turn back the clock. Oh, wait, that would make me penniless. Go ahead, turn it back.
    I think the one behind th SLO high school was called Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but it's been a long time since I've ridden that one. Rinconada is another great trail past Santa Margarita.

Is that the John Loomis from Loomis tanks? Small world if so as my wife does press release work for him. I also managed at Art's Cyclery, as well as wrenched at Broad Street Bikes and Switchbax prior to that before getting "a real job" at Diablo.

Fortunately we purchased our first home in AG in '98 so we got our foot in the door just before the crazy home price hikes. We still paid a ridiculous amount for our third one, but at least we had a nice down-payment. That's the price for living in paradise
    My Wanted List:

mtbr member

whoa!!!

I have a lot a Ritchey products on my bike and love them. I like the use of Ritchey WCS for the headset. Curious though, whats the weight on the Mojo? Beautiful build man, beautiful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkknight
    I have a lot a Ritchey products on my bike and love them. I like the use of Ritchey WCS for the headset. Curious though, whats the weight on the Mojo? Beautiful build man, beautiful.
    I've always had good luck with the Ritchey WCS stuff as well. I posted a few months back that the bars were a pre-production version. When I originally purchased these bars they came in at 218 grams while advertised weight was 170 grams (!). They had added bar end reinforcements after publishing weights in the catalog. Anyway, they had one of the "old" versions left. They swapped the bars out and sent the carbon headset cap and cover as a bonus (the headset underneath is "stock") since the old bars had a cosmetic scratch from being on a display bike at InterBike.

I had the Ritchey Carbon WCS stem on order, but my Ibis stem at 110mm weighs a very impressive--and lighter than the WCS carbon--117 grams.

I'll have the weight posted when I get my digital scale back from warranty from Ultimate.

My regrets so far are that I used red nipples on my wheelbuilds. I think blue would have looked better. And, boy, those DT 190 hubs were expensive! Retail was $695.99 for the rear alone! I received a substantial discount, but it was still way more than a set of CK hubs. That's the price for being a weight weenie I guess.
    My Wanted List:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That is VERY nice, congrats!

You gotta tell us the weight of that baby. It must be 24lbs or less I'm guessing.

mtbr member

Ritchey WCS or pro line

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkknight
    What is the difference between the two?Its really nice looking stuff,I'm interested in the stronger of the two.Thanks.CF...

It's the axle
    That was John Loomis as in national mt. bike racer. He humbled me on many a ride. Not the least was the one and only time I bonked. Up Perfumo Canyon and all the way to the Diablo Canyon power plant. John Drum was also part of our crew. It was quite a good group. Drum was one of the original Mount Tam. guys.

One other place I liked was Pozo. I only rode it on a bike once. And have since abandoned all dirt biking for the more elegant bicycling.

Now back to my beer. I just finished a bridge on one of the finest trails I've ever ridden. I'm beat. I rode the Mojo with a backpack with a chainsaw and gas and hammer and stuff. Quite fun.

mtbr member
    Very nice! Did you apply any protective film to your bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    What is the difference between the two?Its really nice looking stuff,I'm interested in the stronger of the two.Thanks.CF...
    What they've always told me is the WCS stuff will be as strong or stronger than the Pro line, it's just more expensive due to the pricier material(s) and manufacturing involved.
    My Wanted List: