mountain biker

MRP1x or eThirteen XCX on 1x10 HD?

Anyone running an MRP 1x or eThirteen XCX on their Mojo HD? I just switched to 1x10 (11-36 cassette, 32 ring, Zee SS derailleur). I haven't ditched the granny and derailleur yet, but want to soon. I'm wondering if the clutch derailleur is enough to keep the chain on without the need for the bottom guide, so I'm wondering if I can get away with a top guide only. Where I ride tends to be fairly chunky and I get the chain jumping down to the granny at least once or twice a ride. It seems that the chain is jumping from the top mostly, but of course it's pretty hard to tell while riding... I'm hoping the 1x guide would keep the chain on nicely.

I'd get the Lopes Guide, but it has that stupid little Lopes logo on it, and I also would like to avoid a bottom pulley if I can, to minimize drag.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I find that for most trail riding an upper guide is sufficient with a Shadow+ or Type 2 derailleur. For extremely aggressive riding or competitive enduro racing I'd stick to a full-rentention guide.

Basic:
    1x
    Use: XC, trail (with Shadow+ or Type 2)

Basic+protection: AMg
    Use: XC, trail and all-mountain (with Shadow+ or Type 2)

Full-rentenion: Lopes
    Use: trail and all-mountain

Full-retention + protection: G3 or S4
    Use: all-mountain, freeride, and downhill
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    E-13 do a LG1 Trail with a Mojo mount like the MRP's and if its anything like the LG1+ I run on my HD it'll be amazing!!

mountain biker
    Thanks guys.

Noah: can you use the Lopes Guide with a triple crank with a bash installed (but the granny removed)?

lawman: link?

much appreciated...

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Noah: can you use the Lopes Guide with a triple crank with a bash installed (but the granny removed)?
    No sir. If that is what you're after I'd recommend the S4.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Noah, on the new AMg guide I have seen November and December release dates and which mount would you recommend for an HD? TIA.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I don't know for certain, likely early December. For an HD I'd go with the BB-mount.

Thanks!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I don't know for certain, likely early December. For an HD I'd go with the BB-mount.

Thanks!
    I just saw this: 2013 MRP Debuts New Chainguides – G3 , 1x, AMG, MICR - Sick Lines – mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

looks like there's a couple of options in there for Mojo HD owners... most notably the Micro and revamped G3 Mini.

Noah, would either of those work with a triple ring converted to a single? Or are they designed around 1x-specific cranks? And will you be offering them with the HD-specific mounting plate?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Yes, all of those guide work with triple-cranks setup with just a single ring in the "middle" position.

We're planning on a Ibis-specfic Mini G3 only at this point, but we could consider the AMg too. Due to it's diminutive size, I think the Micro might be hard to make in an Ibis-specific version - but the standard BB mount would work.

Thanks
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mountain biker
    Hey Noah,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. One more (series of) questions: what's the main difference between the G2 SL and the G3 mini other than the integrated lower roller skid plate thing? will the G3 mini be lighter? are the materials different? will the carbon backplate be available in an ibis-specific version?

again, thanks for taking the time to post...

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Hey Noah,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. One more (series of) questions: what's the main difference between the G2 SL and the G3 mini other than the integrated lower roller skid plate thing? will the G3 mini be lighter? are the materials different? will the carbon backplate be available in an ibis-specific version?

again, thanks for taking the time to post...
    With the G3 we essentially went back to the drawing board. We looked critically at every aspect of the G2SL and looked for improvements. The key ones are:
    - Stiffer, stronger upper guide now made of Nylon (better durability and chemical resistance)
    - Captive upper guide, ie it holds to the backplate without fastener - simplifies installation
    - The tail of the upper guide is now wrapped with "Quietring" to deaden chainslap noise
    - The lower guide can use either a pulley or polyurethane slider block - both are included
    - The upper and lower guide both pivot out of the way for installation - makes it really easy to change chainrings.
    - Integrated lower guide and skid with a smooth, organic shape that slides over rocks and logs easily - no edges to catch on, nothing to break off.

Lighter wasn't a goal - the Mini G3 is ~1g lighter than the Mini G2SL, the Mega G3 is about ~9g heavier than the full-size G2SL.

I don't think there will be Ibis-specific carbon backplates, we have historically only offered carbon in ISCG and ISCG-05. It's difficult to take 5mm thick carbon sheets down to the 2.5mm thickness required for a BB-mount application (without compromising durability).

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mountain biker
    good lord, I can't believe you take the time to answer all these questions, but it's certainly appreciated... thank you very much! Now I know what I will be installing on my bike for next season. G3 mini it is! thanks, I'll look forward to picking one up when it becomes available..

mountain biker
    Noah... one more quick question: when do you think the Ibis-specific G3 mini might be available?

I came this close to buying the G2 SL while I was in Sedona (well, actually, I did buy the G2 SL, but Ibis sent a 2X, so the shop reimbursed me and I'm back to waiting for the next best thing!)

thanks again for taking the time

:cheers:

mtbr member
    I have the Ibis specific e13 TRS+ and like it a lot. Heard good things about the MRP as well, but my buddy had some durability issues with the upper guide that he thinks might have been related to his use of Dumond chain lube.