Thread: MRP G2 guide

mtbr member

MRP G2 guide

Just fitted my Ibis MRP. First thing I noticed when fitting it is how low the bottom guide hangs. Also it doesn't 'wrap' the chain as much as I usually like. Looking at others with the Ibis MRP I can't help but notice that the bottom guide is much much nearer the chainstay (unsagged).

It obviously only fits one way, BB and the bolt to the pivot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MRP G2 guide-mrp.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Why don't you rotate the guide clockwise before tightening it so that the tensioner will be closer to the rear triangle of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    He has the Ibis version which screws into the lower pivot bolt. I prevents the guide from moving on impact, but doesn't allow you to adjust the angle of it.

One idea - it might be kinda crazy, but what if you found a bigger pulley wheel say off a road derailleur or something, moved the 4mm bolt back as if to accommodate a larger chainring? Hypothetically, you could end up with the chain up a bit higher, thus increasing tension. I guess the biggest thing I would be worried about in doing a fix like that would be the chain getting off at the tensioner and slipping over the top.
    Last edited by banebane; 08-27-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: to add info for OP

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Dibbs,
    I'm in the market for a chain guide for my Mojo SL. Just wanted to know how you like your G2 so far and if you have had any other issues. I appreciate any info you can provide me.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Another idea, since the crank has 2 spacers on drive side ( at least mine comes with 2 spacers installed), you could replace both spacers with 2 bb mount blackspire stingers, 1 for bottom, 1 for top. You can adjust the angle individually. No dremel needed. You only move the chainline 1 mm out, bcoz stinger is 0.5 mm thicker than spacer. 2 stingers only $60.
    goodluck.

Dissolved member
    OP: Your G2 SL is meant for 36-40T chainrings. That ring looks like a 32T to me, you need a G2 SL Mini.

mtbr member
    Sorted by Ibis. Guide is correct. Shock supplied with the frame was wrong. 160 limbo chips mated with an incorrect 140 shock.