Happy when not-last.

Moving chain guide frustration

I run a 1x9 and have been searching for a guide, nothing seems to work properly.

I started with the Blackspire Stinger ran over top as a guide, then went to the MRP System 3. Both rotate forward into the upper pivot bolt of the lower linkage. Instead of stopping at that point, they continue to roll forward around the rounded pivot bolt head so they actually bend towards my chain ring to the point of jamming my crank. I do go over plenty of logs and thought it was the bottom roller of the MRP boomerang being jammed back, so I even went so far as to cut off the bottom half of the System 3 so it's just the guide on the top and it STILL rotates forward over the pivot and into my chain-ring. Thinking maybe it was grease from mounting my BB I removed it, cleaned the BB threads, and used plumbers tape. I even ran the ring of the guide that mounts to the BB through the wire attachment of a grinding wheel, scuffing it radially, to try to add traction to resist rotation. NOTHING is working.

Is anyone else having similar problems? Am I missing something/doing something wrong here?
    I remember reading somewhere about a guide that mounts to the pivot - is that going to be an actual product for the Mojo, just the HD, or is that vaporware?
    All your base are belong to ME.

meh
    designed for the HD, but there will be an adapter for retrofitting to the mojo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    designed for the HD, but there will be an adapter for retrofitting to the mojo
    Does anybody know when guide and adapter for the Mojo will be available (cannot wait to get one!).
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

HD chain guide on a Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Does anybody know when guide and adapter for the Mojo will be available (cannot wait to get one!).
    We will have a special pivot shaft made that allows you to attach the HD chain guide to the main pivot on a Mojo or Mojo SL. It's probably 2 - 3 months off, designed but not made yet.

If you want to do a bit of modification you can use an HD main pivot shaft with 3 mm of spacer / washers under the drive side M8 fastener that holds the guide on. Additionally the HD main pivot shaft needs to be shortened 3 mm on the non drive side. That's probably doable with a hacksaw and a file, but better on a lathe.

H

Happy when not-last.
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    We will have a special pivot shaft made that allows you to attach the HD chain guide to the main pivot on a Mojo or Mojo SL. It's probably 2 - 3 months off, designed but not made yet.

If you want to do a bit of modification you can use an HD main pivot shaft with 3 mm of spacer / washers under the drive side M8 fastener that holds the guide on. Additionally the HD main pivot shaft needs to be shortened 3 mm on the non drive side. That's probably doable with a hacksaw and a file, but better on a lathe.

H
    I'll do about anything at this point to get it working.
    I'm not sure what you mean regarding the modification. Can I order the HD main pivot shaft and appropriate spacer? The M8 fastener is the rounded bolt I was referring to? I'm guessing this would help by moving the bolt-head out far enough to stop the guide from rotating, is that correct?

I have no problem at all doing the mod, but am I the only one having this issue? Makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MinskyBA
    I'll do about anything at this point to get it working.
    I'm not sure what you mean regarding the modification. Can I order the HD main pivot shaft and appropriate spacer? The M8 fastener is the rounded bolt I was referring to? I'm guessing this would help by moving the bolt-head out far enough to stop the guide from rotating, is that correct?

I have no problem at all doing the mod, but am I the only one having this issue? Makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong?
    I don't know much about the guides you have tried or why yours is slipping. Maybe your local shop or ace mechanic can help sort those out to perform correctly?

I was referring to the custom guide MRP made for the HD and the HD main pivot shaft that could be adapted to run on a Mojo. There is no slipping possible with that set up since the bolt that holds the guide in place is threaded directly into the main pivot shaft. You'd need to scare up 3 mm worth of washers or a chain ring spacer etc. to make it fit on the Mojo correctly. Also the shaft is 3mm longer and needs to be cut down. We'll have parts that do not require spacers and modification in a few months if you don't want to hassle with it. Just thought I'd let you know there's a way to rund the HD guide on the Mojo or SL now if you like.

We are in the process of putting this stuff up on the web store in the not to distant future.

Cheers!

H

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My stinger doesn't budge. My best guess is that your particular crank/bb/chain device combo is a touch out of tolerance with the bb spacers. My lbs has always revelled in this sort of challenge but my guess is that one of the items is a touch too thin. Try new bb pacers or bb spacers from another manufacturer. If everything is tight it should budge unless you really whack it. My set up is 2003 HT2 XT cranks. Chris King BB, stinger. I think I have one spacer on non drive and two on the drive side. All good

Happy when not-last.
    I don't know much about the guides you have tried or why yours is slipping. Maybe your local shop or ace mechanic can help sort those out to perform correctly?

I was referring to the custom guide MRP made for the HD and the HD main pivot shaft that could be adapted to run on a Mojo. There is no slipping possible with that set up since the bolt that holds the guide in place is threaded directly into the main pivot shaft. You'd need to scare up 3 mm worth of washers or a chain ring spacer etc. to make it fit on the Mojo correctly. Also the shaft is 3mm longer and needs to be cut down. We'll have parts that do not require spacers and modification in a few months if you don't want to hassle with it. Just thought I'd let you know there's a way to rund the HD guide on the Mojo or SL now if you like.

We are in the process of putting this stuff up on the web store in the not to distant future.

Cheers!

H
    Aaaaahhhhhhhhh, I thought you were talking about a way I could mod my current setup to hold me over until I can get the genuine parts.
    Can't wait until you've got the bits up!

meh
    Hans, can the custom guide for the HD work on a Mojo/SL without mounting to the pivot shaft (for the time being) until the correct parts are produced?

Id like to be able to go ahead and get it on there for the time being (without the ghetto shaft approach) and then secure it when the rest of the parts are available

Happy when not-last.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62
    My stinger doesn't budge. My best guess is that your particular crank/bb/chain device combo is a touch out of tolerance with the bb spacers. My lbs has always revelled in this sort of challenge but my guess is that one of the items is a touch too thin. Try new bb pacers or bb spacers from another manufacturer. If everything is tight it should budge unless you really whack it. My set up is 2003 HT2 XT cranks. Chris King BB, stinger. I think I have one spacer on non drive and two on the drive side. All good
    I've got a CK BB as well, and I always torque it to spec: 40'#. I've got one spacer on the non-drive side. Drive side I've got my newly-modded MRP which acts as a spacer in addition to another spacer. I didn't think about them being too thin though, that's a great thought. I'll use my calipers to check them and swap out. I was actually thinking about wrapping the drive-side spacer in plumbers tape for traction, that should tighten it up incase it's too thin as well. Perfect!
    I'll give that a go and keep my fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Teflon tape?

is very slippery.

from wise geek:

"There are two common types of tape that are referred to plumber's tape. The first should more accurately be called TeflonŽ tape, and the second is more correctly referred to as metal strapping. In both cases, the product is referred to as plumber's tape since it is most commonly used by plumbers.

The plumber's tape that is more properly called TeflonŽ tape is used to seal pipe threads against leaks. It is a thin, white tape that fills in the gaps between the pipe threads. It also acts as a lubricant for the pipe threads when tightening the fittings together. This type of plumber's tape is not an adhesive tape and cannot be used to adhere items together."

Happy when not-last.
    is very slippery.

from wise geek:

"There are two common types of tape that are referred to plumber's tape. The first should more accurately be called TeflonŽ tape, and the second is more correctly referred to as metal strapping. In both cases, the product is referred to as plumber's tape since it is most commonly used by plumbers.

The plumber's tape that is more properly called TeflonŽ tape is used to seal pipe threads against leaks. It is a thin, white tape that fills in the gaps between the pipe threads. It also acts as a lubricant for the pipe threads when tightening the fittings together. This type of plumber's tape is not an adhesive tape and cannot be used to adhere items together."
    Doh! I use it on threads instead of grease. Of COURSE it's slippery.
    I'll just go fu$k myself then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yes, it should work better than most even without the extra attachment.

Should be in the web store in a few days.

H

meh
    awesome, been on hold going to a 1x9 setup till this sucker comes out

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My lbs tech guru has just informed me that some chain devices are fractionally thinner than the plastic spacers. Could something like a headset seal fit between the spacer and the guide? Might be big enough. The other point I thought was that maybe the bb shell has had a touch too much off when faced.

Happy when not-last.
    So how would I alleviate a thin guide or shaved BB? Wouldn't even a 1.25mm spacer be too much?

meh
    fyi, HD MRP guards are in the ibis web store now

Happy when not-last.
    Woohoo!

...anyone know when the adapter kit/bolt will be available?

meh

H
    2-3 months apparently

mtbr member
    Just been in Moab/Grand Junction and used the Mojo for what I thought it was build: White Rim in a day (100 miles of cardio) followed by some stunting on Free Lunch and Pucker Up. One bike to do it all.

So I'd really need a 2x9 setup with a chain guard and a relieable non-chain suck setup. Thought I could do a 1x9. But White Rim convinced me that I actually can't. I would have walked Hogback, Hardscrabble and the last mile of the day: Horsethief. Guess I'll have to continue experimenting.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinskyBA
    Woohoo!

...anyone know when the adapter kit/bolt will be available?
    I need this setup in black, lets go...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixsun
    I need this setup in black, lets go...

+2.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.