mtbr member
    Nov 2004

More ride reviews please; Mojo vs. 5 Spot?

1. It would be great if more people who have been fortunate enough to get their Mojos would put up some brief ride reviews - what they like, don't like as compared to previous bike, etc. Simple. No need for super tech talk.

2. I'm going back and forth between a 5 Spot and the Ibis Mojo. Anyone have any experience on both? Any general input? All is appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    TB,
    I own an Ellsworth Id, which I think it's fair to say rides very similar to the 5-spot (pre TNT)....so for what it's worth: The Ells is a much more active suspension. I think it handles the really rough stuff a little better than the Mojo (speeding through rock gardens, rocky downhill sections). All other categories, I have to give the edge to the Mojo - climbing, accelerating, handling. It is a much firmer platform, and it just feels so stable on just about every trail feature you will encounter. I thought the Ells negated 'bob' really well...BUT the Mojo, when tuned correctly, is even better.
    The Turner weighs about a pound more than the Mojo so that might be something that factors in to your decision. The Turner is a 'classic', beautiful welds, traditional frame design...there's something very appealing about that as well. The 'techno' Mojo may not be for everyone. Safe to say you can't go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbexx
    TB,
    I own an Ellsworth Id, which I think it's fair to say rides very similar to the 5-spot (pre TNT)....so for what it's worth: The Ells is a much more active suspension. I think it handles the really rough stuff a little better than the Mojo (speeding through rock gardens, rocky downhill sections). All other categories, I have to give the edge to the Mojo - climbing, accelerating, handling. It is a much firmer platform, and it just feels so stable on just about every trail feature you will encounter. I thought the Ells negated 'bob' really well...BUT the Mojo, when tuned correctly, is even better.
    The Turner weighs about a pound more than the Mojo so that might be something that factors in to your decision. The Turner is a 'classic', beautiful welds, traditional frame design...there's something very appealing about that as well. The 'techno' Mojo may not be for everyone. Safe to say you can't go wrong with either.
    Do you think your perception of the Turner Id being better through the really rough rock gardens is due to increase mass of frame; I presume the wheels and suspension spec are identical?

Or is it frame geometry?

www.derbyrims.com
    Both The Spot and Mojo have very similar riding postion frame angles and handling characteristics. Downhill is about the same. The Mojo is easier to ride up hill.

Grams Light Bikes
    I rode a 5-Spot and have owned a Mojo for 3 months now.

The 5-Spot is a very stout bike that handles well and is a great complete package. The suspension system has a lot of synergy to it.

The Mojo on the other hand climbs better, accelerates better and just plain slices and dices on a trail. It acts like a surgeon with the most delicate scalpel like moves.

The rear end does feel twitchier when the going gets rough when compared to the 5-Spot. The 5-Spot seems to handle things just a bit better at higher speeds in the rock gardens. But it feels like a pig dog compared to the Mojo everywhere else. Not to say that the Mojo doesn't handle itself in the Rock Gardens, it is a lot more fun when you can tweak it on a dime in the middle of a rock garden and go where you want.

And I think on smaller jumps it has a nicer feel to it then the 5-Spot.

All and all I think the Mojo rides smoother, faster, quicker, and nicer and climbs better in everything but very high-speed conditions when compared to the 5-Spot.

And it sure looks prettier and has tons more bling!

IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBaggers
    1. It would be great if more people who have been fortunate enough to get their Mojos would put up some brief ride reviews - what they like, don't like as compared to previous bike, etc. Simple. No need for super tech talk.

2. I'm going back and forth between a 5 Spot and the Ibis Mojo. Anyone have any experience on both? Any general input? All is appreciated.

Thanks.
    I have not tried the Ibis but if you want to go with a faux-bar you should really consider a Ventana: ... until Turner switched to faux-bar the argument was that the Horst (even the high-pivot horst used by Turner) was a better suspension system ... now Sherwood's (i.e. Ventana) craftmanship should put many arguments in favor of a production Turner to rest. ... Check the Ventana out!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (81.8 KB, 370 views)
    Last edited by Davide; 12-08-2006 at 09:21 PM.