mtbr member

Monarch RC3 Plus bottoming out on Mojo HD

My Monarch RC3 Plus is bottoming out more regularly than I would like. Does anyone have any advice beyond increasing the air pressure? I like the shocks action otherwise and my sag is set pretty well at 30%. I just tend to bottom out the shock on occasion on landings that are not particularly rough. Are there shim kits or air can volume manipulations that help this kind of thing?

The symptom I am experiencing is that my back tire buzzes my seat tube

My specs are these:
    2012 Mojo HD Size Med
    Rider Weight = approx 185 lbs
    Typical Air Pressure in Shock = 155-160psi

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You can get the Rock Shox rubber band which take up volume in the HV air sleeve but I would recommend probably trying electrical tape first. Take the air sleeve off the can, wrap a couple rows of tape around the lower section underneath where the sleeve would be to take up volume, and then put the sleeve back on. I've got the rubber bands but they are a b**** to put on. I've only been able to get max 3 on and even then the sleeve is almost impossible to get on/off. Another guy has commented that hes had no difficulty with the bands. Anyway, I think the tape is harmless, free, and effective.

Same issue here, ~190lbs, running 30-33% sag at ~165 psi and it bottoms out on 3'+ drops and some G-outs. The 3 bands have helped but I could use more. If I were to do it again, I would have got a small volume can.

Lightly salted
    I use a monarch plus on my HD and weight the same as you. 3 tuning bands works good for me. Rockshox tunning kit Part # 11.4115.039.000

The black tape works to and is cheaper.

mtbr member
    I bottom mine, but never notice it. The bands are a good starting point. If that does not work go to Push and they will take care of you. Even stock the Monarch Plus is worlds better than the RP23.

mtbr member
    I have been using the electrical tape on mine with no issues.

mtbr member
    Thank you all very much for the advice. I'll give the tape thing a shot this weekend. I'm glad to know it is not just me being a hack that causes the shock to bottom out. Now I'm off to find a good video of servicing this shock. SRAM usually has pretty good documentation, hope that is the case for this shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hrsjqb1 View Post
    I'm glad to know it is not just me being a hack that causes the shock to bottom out.
    This is the exact issue MANY others have complained about with the Fox and most other air shocks, not progressive enough, so its definitely not just you. Thats why Fox came out with their volume spacers.

mtbr member
    I'm rocking 6 of the volume spacers (bands), weigh 185 & run 168psi to get 30% sag. I rarely get full travel but it feels great.

I'd try the electric tape, that will get it to ramp up nicely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Which version of the monarch plus do you have installed? I remember there are many combos of volume and tune.

mtbr member

Valve adapter?

@Juan
    Mine is the Med rebound Low Compression HV version

Question: Do I have to remove the whole air can to remove the HV sleeve? Should my shock have come with the inflation adapter for the reservoir?

Thanks

Edit:
    Never mind I figured out how to get the HV sleeve off, though I am still curious if I should have received the valve adapter with my shock.

I'm all taped up with several passes of electrical tape. Hopefully a ride is in my near future. family craziness will probably take precedence tragically.

Thanks.
    Last edited by hrsjqb1; 01-17-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Figured it Out

mtbr member
    Mine is M/M HV

mtbr member
    I've been experimenting some with the electrical tape and it seems to be working out. Would this mod affect the small bump compliance or is that my imagination? It is nice to not be bottoming out any more.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by hrsjqb1 View Post
    I've been experimenting some with the electrical tape and it seems to be working out. Would this mod affect the small bump compliance or is that my imagination? It is nice to not be bottoming out any more.
    Are you talking about better small bump compliance with the reduced volume?

mtbr member
    Yes. Would the reduced volume of the HV can reduce small bump sensitivity?

mtbr member
    I just hooked up a suspension expert tuned monarch today. Rc3 large can/160. Have not ridden it yet. Any thoughts if I will need the spacers? I used the med one on my rp23 to success and will be putting that on my SLR.

mtbr member
    I run mine without spacers, but I like it super plush.

The spacers should not effect small bump compliance very much since it will just cause the air spring to ramp more quickly. Did you raise the air pressure?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I run mine without spacers, but I like it super plush.

The spacers should not effect small bump compliance very much since it will just cause the air spring to ramp more quickly. Did you raise the air pressure?
    No, I have not increased the air pressure. I think it was my imagination, and part of the "new bike magic" wearing off. I do like a more plush feel too, but without the tape taking up the volume in the HV can I was constantly bottoming out - hard.

The bike is starting to dial in nicely. I do wish it had a lower Stand over, but I'll deal for sure. Complaining about a $6000.00 + bike is lame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hay need help just got my new frame with the 2013 monarch plus rc3 it's makeing a very loud clunking sound in the first part of its travel . Any idears ??? I'm kinda stuck and want to go ride my new 2013 mega am

mtbr member
    Hi - sorry to revive the thread, but I can't find any pictures or videos about where and how to use electrical tape to reduce the volume. Can someone post up a more detailed description? How many times around with tape are we talking?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had same issue, I would sell it and go with Cane Creek DBA, problem solved.