boba
    Dec 2007

MojoSL v/s Mojo questions.

Hi...We need a bit of help on choosing between the SL and the regular Mojo. My wife and I are going ahead with the purchase of two Mojos. The question pertains to the durability of the paint on the Mojo v/s the SL. From reading this forum, it would seem that the "regular Mojo" is quite susceptible to scratches, all sorts of scuff marks and cable rub.

The few comments that I have seen is that the SL is a much more scratch and scuff resistant pain. What has been yor experience with the two finishes? Our only experience has been the powder coated frames that Turner offers and the bare alumimum frame of our Geminis. The Geminis look like sh...t after four years but a bit of mothers polish brings them back ok. How would the SL finish compare to powder coat or anodized?

So, should we wait the four months for the SL's and spend an additonal $800 plus dollars for the two bikes for a bit of weight saving and a more durable finish, or just go for the standard Mojo..one in Carbon and the other in a color? The may dellivery for the SL is not an issue.

Thanks,

Bob Austin, Vancouver Island, BC.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    The mojo paint (and the raw carbon version) can be very well protected by 3mm clear tape. I do love the paint finish on the SL though and it would be awesome to see the 08 mojo's be able to get that paint as an option as well.

mtbr member
    The SL finish has been good. I have run no chain stay protector as of yet and serious chain slap has to date left no evidence of impact. If the slap was not so loud, I would run it bra free. I crashed it and trashed a pedal - no damage to the frame. Surely, that was luck, time will tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That is encouraging to hear... although I still plan to get a nice chain stay guard. I had cautiously hoped that the paint would be that strong since it was claimed that it is similar to hockey stick paint.

One option to cut down on the cost for buying two SL's is to ditch the SSD carbon shocks for the tried and true RP23. I believe that Hans has said somewhere in these forums that doing that can save you more than a hundred $$ which would narrow that $800 premium significantly.

I bet that if you called IBIS and asked about down grading other SL upgrades you might be able to save even more, especially if you are ordering two bikes... A phone call would not take very long either as the two times I have called there was someone there who knew what they were talking about in 2 rings.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama
    The SL finish has been good. I have run no chain stay protector as of yet and serious chain slap has to date left no evidence of impact. If the slap was not so loud, I would run it bra free. I crashed it and trashed a pedal - no damage to the frame. Surely, that was luck, time will tell.
    How's the finish holding up to oil stains? It's been noted that the rubberized finish will absord oils ruining the finish....at least aesthetically. I'm sure it doesn't do any material harm to the paint.

bobAustin

From reading this forum, it would seem that the "regular Mojo" is quite susceptible to scratches, all sorts of scuff marks and cable rub.
    I don't think the Mojo is any worse off than any other brand. I have the nude one and took a little bit of time and chump change to get some surface guard tape (ISC racer tape) to protect key areas. I don't have any dings on the clear finish.....and just found a few hairline scratches on the headtube just recently. Granted, I've only ditched the bike once. Paint is paint. The "normal" painted ones will chip but that's just superficial. The polyurethane coating on the frames is still there so you're not "damaging" the frame per se.....just may be annoying if you want the bike to look new as long as possible.

To me......I'd rather risk getting some chips and be able to protect against that OR at least get some touch up paint to paint over it. However, the SL's finish is susceptible to stains which as far as I know, is a b!tch to remove....if at all, PLUS it costs more, AND the polyurethane tape DOES NOT stick to that material. Although last I heard, Ibis was testing another kind of tape from 3M. You might want to ask.