Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    artistic...

... and if we just ... mojos, as in ibis mojo

so smooth...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Love your steel ride colker. Its been awhile now since you've had this bike, how long? I still love my Steelman but I'm getting a Salty in the spring, the price was to good to pass up. Will post a pic of the Steelman over the weekend.

Steel forever.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phippy
    Love your steel ride colker. Its been awhile now since you've had this bike, how long? I still love my Steelman but I'm getting a Salty in the spring, the price was to good to pass up. Will post a pic of the Steelman over the weekend.

Steel forever.
    hi phip,
    4yrs...!!! never had a bike for so long. it's too small for me but whenever i think of buying another frame, i ride it on the trail and feel so good i end up thinking i may trade the mojo for something worse and feel stupid (i'm not talking big$ IF's, soulcrafts etc... cause i maintain the road bike vice as well).

Gimme dat!!

This one just found a home : )

After 2 weeks of riding I must say that I love steel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Heres mine

A 16" named Quigley
    One of the SS-letter-batch

mtbr member
    Whoah, what's with those bars?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What gear ratio are you running w/o a tensioner, I have a 32-19 on mine, but the chain is just a little to loose and I have dropped it a couple of times on rides.

Kelly

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The bars, the bars

They are Jones H-bars, best upgrade i
    ever made to any of my bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I run 36x18 but i don't need a tensioner because the
    frame has horisontal dropouts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

My Mojos

I have 3.

My first one I bought new in 2001 (I think its a 1998 frame--no handjob). I use this one as my race bike--it now has different tires and a Marzocchi on it.

Then I picked up a fully rigid SS--all original except for V-brakes that were put on it. It even has a pink stem. I paid $250 for it.

My latest is is 1995 or so Mojo with a handjob. I picked it up as a frame about a year ago and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it--now I have decided I am building it as an ugly retro bike. Pics will soon be posted.

Anyone have any extra annodized purple or green or turquoise stuff they want seel for cheap?

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004

Anodized purple hubs

Have a wheel set (Mavic X517 Ceramic, DT Revolution [black], Salsa flipoffs [blue], blue spoke nipples) with purple anodized Chris King hubs (32) and Panaracer FireXC Pro kevlar [blue sidewall]. They have only 50 miles on them and were originally $790 all together. Would prefer to sell the whole set.

Make me an offer if you're interested.

michael_p_perez@yahoo.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mojo - Year?

[QUOTE=GotMojo?]Love my Mojo!!

What year is your Mojo? The reason I ask is I did not know that Ibis built the Mojo's with a disc tab. Your frame must be one of the last batch before they closed down.

I wish I had disc tabs on my old Ibis Alibi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nykat
    What year is your Mojo? The reason I ask is I did not know that Ibis built the Mojo's with a disc tab. Your frame must be one of the last batch before they closed down.

I wish I had disc tabs on my old Ibis Alibi.
    Man, I'm not sure exactly what year it is, but I think it is one of the last to come out of the factory. I found it in the mtbr classifieds, and got it just after Ibis closed down.

It sux that Ibis closed... these are awesome bikes. I want to find myself an older Mojo with the handjob... and possibly even one of their full suspension bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

32x18 w/ half-link

My Mojo is a 96 and I can run 32x18 SS using a half-link

Quote Originally Posted by patpend2000
    What gear ratio are you running w/o a tensioner, I have a 32-19 on mine, but the chain is just a little to loose and I have dropped it a couple of times on rides.

Kelly

I'm how far behind?
    I heard that Castellano (sp??) is resurecting the Silk Ti. He will also be releasing a 29er version of the Silk Ti -- very pricey though I heard in the mid to high 3s for frame alone.

jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer
    I heard that Castellano (sp??) is resurecting the Silk Ti. He will also be releasing a 29er version of the Silk Ti -- very pricey though I heard in the mid to high 3s for frame alone.

jim
    Just stumbled upon this today...looks like its called Fango...
    http://www.castellanodesigns.com/fango.html

http://forum.bikemag.com/photopost/s...cat=504&page=4

Code Burr
    Anybody want to sell one?

Alaska Turner Mafia

Wife's ride

Here's my wife's extra small (12.5" c-c). She's 5'2" and it's a real good fit. It seems to be a really rare metallic deep purple color, we've never seen another like it. I believe it was one of the last built in Calif before contracting out to Strong in Montana. Too new to have the hand job though.

It doesn't see much dirt any more now that she has a full suspension bike. I occasionally swap out the Marz for a Kinesis rigid fork with some slicks for pavement pounding, that makes for a pretty light combo.

The pics indoors with flash just don't portray it's true color, I'll try and post another on a sunny day.

Randy
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    May 2005

IBIS Mojo w/Hand Job

Quote Originally Posted by thebronze

Are you still looking to buy an IBIS Mojo ?.... have one that's been sitting for about six month now. it does have the hand job.... bought it in 88

call me @ 714.313.3045 if your still interested.

Later,

Don

mtbr member
    May 2005

IBIS Mojo w/Hand Job

Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo?
    Man, I'm not sure exactly what year it is, but I think it is one of the last to come out of the factory. I found it in the mtbr classifieds, and got it just after Ibis closed down.

It sux that Ibis closed... these are awesome bikes. I want to find myself an older Mojo with the handjob... and possibly even one of their full suspension bikes.

if your interested, I have an IBIS Mojo w/the HandJob i'll be willing to sell mint condidion....

Don

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by DonVernon
    if your interested, I have an IBIS Mojo w/the HandJob i'll be willing to sell mint condidion....

Don
    Sounds good, what size?
    tobydmv@yahoo.com

Retrograde Customs
    just scored this today, thinking about a SS build for it. not bad for a freebie i guess every now and then good things do happen.
    Retrograde Customs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    just scored this today, thinking about a SS build for it. not bad for a freebie i guess every now and then good things do happen.
    Love that color! Got any pics of the final build?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

My Mojo...Yaeger Blue

I just love this thing....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Mmmmm, Yeager Blue! My favorite color! Sweet ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

size of your ibis

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    hi phip,
    4yrs...!!! never had a bike for so long. it's too small for me but whenever i think of buying another frame, i ride it on the trail and feel so good i end up thinking i may trade the mojo for something worse and feel stupid (i'm not talking big$ IF's, soulcrafts etc... cause i maintain the road bike vice as well).

....hey, how small is your mojo, mine is small (17" center of BB to top of seat tube) and I am looking for a 15.5" .... interested?

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirob
    ....hey, how small is your mojo, mine is small (17" center of BB to top of seat tube) and I am looking for a 15.5" .... interested?
    mine is 17" as well. if i pass by a 18.5 i'll take it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a blue 18.5" mojo frame that I would consider selling. It does have the handjob--and the frame is well used with no dents.

Eric
    oregonmtb@excite.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Mojo Troubles.

I thought I could run this by you, or anyone for that matter for a bit of advice, as im in a bit of a quandry

I purchased a 17" ibis mojo with an old SID SL and Geax tires a while ago and have been enjoying it, although the handling is much more skittish, and on quick downhills, the front end does not always feel like it wants to hold, esp if I take a turn too wide. I been away from MTBing for a few years, but know to try to get of the brakes upon entering a tires, which doesnt always happen. I noticed some play in the fork, and lots of flex, even though Im a litght rider at 150lbs and recently I ordered a discount SID team. I also ordered some stiffer wheels.

Unfortunately I also started reading around about frame size and discovered that my 17" mojo may be too big, as I only have 1" top tube clearance with it. Im about 5'6' with a big torso and an inseam about 29" - is this adequate or essentially tempting disaster? The option is to move to an xsmall (15.5) frame as i think i can find one, but its going ot run me about $900 it looks.

Also yesterday I noticed that my seat may be racked an inch or two too far forward despite being near the back of the rails, which may be affecting the handling - although I thought you want to try and weight the front going downhill for better handling, not pull back?

I suspect I will have buy a kicked back seatpost? It may not be helping that I have a 120mm stem. These fit issues are difficult.

Anway, Im also curious how you know a bike is too small, as you noted - is that just to make the handling worse?

thanks - hopes thats not too may questions

Ben Shapiro

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

15.5 Ibis Frame

Ben -

Check your PM.

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005

Small SilkTi

Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    I might be convinced to sell my small SilkTi with a solid offer. Frame only and some extra shock parts to allow you to tune the rear end to your weight.

Also a Dean Colonel X-Lite (sub 3# hardtail) avail. Less than one season's use.

speedychix@comcast.net

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonMTB View Post
    I have 3.

My first one I bought new in 2001 (I think its a 1998 frame--no handjob). I use this one as my race bike--it now has different tires and a Marzocchi on it.

Then I picked up a fully rigid SS--all original except for V-brakes that were put on it. It even has a pink stem. I paid $250 for it.

My latest is is 1995 or so Mojo with a handjob. I picked it up as a frame about a year ago and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it--now I have decided I am building it as an ugly retro bike. Pics will soon be posted.

Anyone have any extra annodized purple or green or turquoise stuff they want seel for cheap?

...old thread dig here, but I just dug out an old Mojo from up in my barn I've had sitting for years. Might revive it and convert it to a 650b, but looking for more info about it.
    Anyone here know how to read serial #'s??

Mine is the EXACT same color and sticker as that in the last photo in the above quoted post.
    1" threaded headtube/Tange fork, with colormatched superlong Salsa 135mm quill stem.
    It has NO handjob, just unformed cable stop.
    Anyway, just looking for some help, any info or tips here are much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI View Post
    ...old thread dig here, but I just dug out an old Mojo from up in my barn I've had sitting for years. Might revive it and convert it to a 650b, but looking for more info about it.
    Anyone here know how to read serial #'s??

Mine is the EXACT same color and sticker as that in the last photo in the above quoted post.
    1" threaded headtube/Tange fork, with colormatched superlong Salsa 135mm quill stem.
    It has NO handjob, just unformed cable stop.
    Anyway, just looking for some help, any info or tips here are much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    That sounds more like a SS or Avion. Does it say "mojo" on it? IIRC the first Mojo's in 92ish were 1.125 steerer and handjob equipped from the get-go.... there may have been 1" steerer briefly in the beginning, but I know for sure that my '93 had handjob and 1 1/8 steerer and aheadset.

I bet it's an SS from early '90's. Was the color called periwinkle, or did I imagine that? It was a really nice, and popular color for a good long while. Where's Chuck when we need him??

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    That sounds more like a SS or Avion. Does it say "mojo" on it? IIRC the first Mojo's in 92ish were 1.125 steerer and handjob equipped from the get-go.... there may have been 1" steerer briefly in the beginning, but I know for sure that my '93 had handjob and 1 1/8 steerer and aheadset.

I bet it's an SS from early '90's. Was the color called periwinkle, or did I imagine that? It was a really nice, and popular color for a good long while. Where's Chuck when we need him??

yeah, it very well could be actually.
    There are no other decals on it other than the Ibis ones on each side of downtube, one logo on HT, and one on the non-drive chainstay that says made in Sebastopol.

Happen to know any specifics on differences between "SS" and other models?

oh, and serial from under BB shell is 1901, as far as I can tell.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    So, that Sebastopol sticker tells you it was early 90's not late 90's.
    As I recall the SS was Ibis' more affordable "production frame"....a few stock colors, built around a rigid fork w/ traditional steerer. Scot was (prolly still is) a good trials rider, so high-ish bb's were an ibis feature relative to a lot of NorCal bikes.
    The Mojo was a modernization that included lower bb height, 1 1/8 HT, suspension corrected geometry, and the handjob. My '93 had traditional tab type rear dropouts, pretty short head tube, and a blend of tubes that resulted in a sweet riding, but 5 lb, medium size frame. In '94 the Mojo got super-buffed with custom "big butt" Tange Prestige tubing, breezer style dropouts, geometry tweaked to a longer HT (at least on the Med size), and a full pound dropped from the frame weight. Those '94 - '9? prestige tubed Mojo's will always be my benchmark for baddest assed steel hardtail of all time to infinity and beyond.
    So, I'm giving away the full extent of my decrepit age and Ibis fanboyness.... take everything I say with a grain of salt cuz the noggin don't work quite like it used to.

edit: I think I was wrong about the bb height difference.... at least in a static measurement. Mojo's did have longer TT than the Avion and Avion SS.
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 02-16-2013 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr remember
    So, that Sebastopol sticker tells you it was early 90's not late 90's.
    As I recall the SS was Ibis' more affordable "production frame"....a few stock colors, built around a rigid fork w/ traditional steerer. Scot was (prolly still is) a good trials rider, so high-ish bb's were an ibis feature relative to a lot of NorCal bikes.
    The Mojo was a modernization that included lower bb height, 1 1/8 HT, suspension corrected geometry, and the handjob. My '93 had traditional tab type rear dropouts, pretty short head tube, and a blend of tubes that resulted in a sweet riding, but 5 lb, medium size frame. In '94 the Mojo got super-buffed with custom "big butt" Tange Prestige tubing, breezer style dropouts, geometry tweaked to a longer HT (at least on the Med size), and a full pound dropped from the frame weight. Those '94 - '9? prestige tubed Mojo's will always be my benchmark for baddest assed steel hardtail of all time to infinity and beyond.
    So, I'm giving away the full extent of my decrepit age and Ibis fanboyness.... take everything I say with a grain of salt cuz the noggin don't work quite like it used to.

Thanks, I appreciate the great info!
    Any idea what tubing was used on the slightly lower end "SS"?
    I saw the black one shown on Mombat, but mine does not have the full toptube cable routing...
    I'm perfectly fine with the high bb, a little more "poppy"! Gonna get higher if I successfully convert it to 650b, but no big deal to me. And since it is more of the "larger production model", I won't feel as bad about somewhat frankensteining it.
    I remeasured the stem though, and at a full 150mm (!?), it's gonna be a bit goofy for fitting, but I'll probably put the biggest sweep bars on it I can find for a decent price.

I'll try to remember to post some pics as I build it up...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    I don't think they were any more "large production" than the mojo's that followed them.... just not fully custom like the bikes that preceded them. And now that you mention it I think there may have been some options like top or bottom cable routing....?? Not sure about that though.
    Scot would have to chime in on the tubing... I think they really mixed it up to get the traits they wanted... I think they used tubes from all the top suppliers of the day. Those guys really knew their sh!t... their shop was a fun place to be, at least as a tourist, back in that day. Crazy tooling and machines, killer bikes in steel, ti, carbon/ti, road, tandem (the polished Titanium uptube tandems they built were RIDICULOUS!), mtb, fixie, you name it.... custom paint going on, bball and rocket launches outside, lounge on the back dock with a a pretty damn nice Sonoma Co view.

Enjoy that bike! It's a little slice of mtb history... a lot of good mojo in that thing (pun intended)

mtbr member
    I have one that I am not sure wether it an SS, Avion or a Custom. There is no rear brake cable stop so I suspect it had a seatpost binder stop for canti brakes. 1" headtube. Serial from under BB shell is #1200. I love the original color. They should use in the current models! i also have a small black 1 1/8" steel mojo made in Sebastopol. The paint job on the mojo is not very thick and there is a lot of paint peel/chips.

iBIS SS 1989-90 Rare Vintage $475 - Pinkbike
    Last edited by voob; 02-16-2013 at 04:24 AM.

mtbr remember
    Well, now I am also doubting my frame is an SS, as it doesn't have that super long Headtube that all the SS's I see photos of seem to have...

Mine also has Suntour dropouts, if that's any other clue... oh and 29.4 seatpost I think.

Looks nearly identical to what voob's link is, at least in proportion and tubing size, but mine has the "unformed" handjob cable stop... although my measurements don't quite match what you have listed. Mine is 18.5 with ~22" tt.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Hey, you guys need to check this site out.... may help shed some light.
    Cyclofiend: Ibis Catalogs & Ephemera
    It's reminded me that the Avion was the first go at a production bike, and they were built in Japan. The SS brought production of that model home to California, and did indeed offer options on paint, braze-ons, etc.

mtbr member
    The sheet for the SS mentions the 29.4 seatpost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here are some photos of a 92 Mojo frame I'm in the process of building up. Serial number 1906, Suntour dropouts, 1" steerer, 29.4 seatpost and an unformed handjob. Most other first generation Mojo's have the formed handjob, my guess is the unformed handjob would be from the start of the production run.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey, you guys need to check this site out.... may help shed some light.
    Cyclofiend: Ibis Catalogs & Ephemera
    That site happens to be missing the 1992 catalog, which would be the most applicable for identifying this particular mojo. The 1992 catalog can be found at www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/ibis.html

mtbr member
    Well, there you have it! Mine was a '93, and it had the same decals and dropouts, but 1 1/8 HT and the handjob.... and I'm pretty sure it was a 28.6 seatpost.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by s_timoshenko View Post
    Here are some photos of a 92 Mojo frame I'm in the process of building up. Serial number 1906, Suntour dropouts, 1" steerer, 29.4 seatpost and an unformed handjob. Most other first generation Mojo's have the formed handjob, my guess is the unformed handjob would be from the start of the production run.

Yes, this is looking very familiar! Must be the same year, and if serial #'s are correct, mine was just 5 earlier than your frame!
    Off the top of my head, not sure if my dropouts have the eyelets on them though...

Have any plans yet as far as how you'll build it up?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member

mountain mojo to street mojo conversion...

Hi folks!

This was my '96 ibis mojo:

I got to old for the stretchy position on it so it got stripped of it's parts:

After a year in the queue it got reborn as my summer city street mojo:

cheers
    Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huhue View Post
    After a year in the queue it got reborn as my summer city street mojo:

cheers
    Dan

Very Cool!

mtbr remember
    Here's a quick few shots of mine ~95% built up. Still needs a few minor details dialed-in, including the brakes and chainring bolts...

Fully 650iBis converted!
    Wanted to run my rigid Tange fork, but the WTB 2.2 Wolverine would not clear on the corners...
    mojos, as in ibis mojo-0228031923_zpscaa15467.jpg
    mojos, as in ibis mojo-0228031927_zpsbc7427f7.jpg
    mojos, as in ibis mojo-0228032004_zps861cf568.jpg
    ^ before Shadow Plus and Type 2 clutches, there was Bullet Bro's!!!

I'll post some better shots after I wrap it up and get it on some dirt!
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Sweet,

could you drag that thing in the open daylight, and take some pics of the handjob (brake) area? I thought about converting mine to 650b for a while.

Cheers
    Dan
    Last edited by huhue; 03-09-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast