Mojo. XTR crank, XO rderail, & XO trig shifter

Is anyone using this combo? This is my first venture using Sram
    07 Xtr cranks
    XO rear derailer (SHORT)
    XO Trigger shifters
    PG 990 cassete
    Nokon cables

What is your oppinion? Any issues?
    I have been having a nagging shifting issue. I have been playing with the tension with no avail.
    I'm starting to think it could be the shorter length of the rear derailer?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    i havn't used that combination but I have:

06 XTR cranks
    X0 trigger shifters
    x9 rear derailleur (long)
    PG990 cassette (11-32)

My shifting has been excellent on the mojo. I don't even remember tuning it yet. (knocks wood)

mtbr member
    What size is your frame? That could have something to do with you issue. Your running a short cage with a full crank set and gears in the back, I would imagine you might have issues. I use a large cage XO and I've never had an issue on my Mojo. Hope that helps. Cheers!!
    Last edited by thedarkknight; 07-09-2007 at 09:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It's a Large Frame. I don't have issues with the fact of the Short R derailer cause i will never use the big / big ring combo. Could it be an alighnment issue? it worked before?

mtbr member
    Outside of your hanger, their truly is nothing to align. I would check your tension, and your limits. Take it to a shop, its worth the $30 to find out. I work at a shop and the size of your rear XO surprises me. I've seen and used it on a large frame (its what I have) but only if there is one chain-ring. Check your cage and see if its tweaked, its fiber though so probably not. Good luck sir. Cheers!!

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsellone
    Is anyone using this combo?
    XO rear derailer (SHORT)

What is your oppinion?
    I'm starting to think it could be the shorter length of the rear derailer?
    What shifting issue are you having, specifically? That stuff should basically work together OK.

I am going to presume you are using a full triple crankset. If that is the case, then you have to make some compromise in order to use the short cage derailleur. The short cage is not long enough to take up all the chain slack properly in a full range drivetrain when you run small/small. When you get close to small/small, the cage will swing back and up too far, and your chain will rub itself as it goes around the cage.

You can eliminate this by shortening the chain, but then you will not have enough chain to run big/big. And as you try to run close to big/big gears, you may hyper extend the derailleur cage too far forward and risk tearing it apart. It is safer to opt for the former problem rather than the latter, obviously.

Short cages are good for limited range shifting like double/bash guard cranksets or 2x9 in general, racer/weight weenie types who run small cassettes, etc, or people willing to deal with the issues above.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the info. I know the limitations of the short cage. I would say that I'm in the mid front ring 90% of the time. The prob i'm having is tring to shift up to the bigger rings in the back primarily the mid to big rings. No issues with the the last 2 big rings or the smaller rings. This is a mystery to me? when shifting its not engaging as a normal shift. You can hear it tring to shift ( Like a tic, tic sound) then i need to shift down then back up. This is unusall, thats why i posted. This has been going on for awile now, & i have brought the bike into my LBS a few times now. All they have adjusted is my tension, but soon as i hit the trails, there it is!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi, I use exactly the same setup but with the long cage XO at the back. Works perfectly. Very presice and positive shifts up and down. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bent Hanger

Seems like a slightly bent hanger has been causing the shifting issues. Once replaced everything was ok. Now it seems i have to do something about the Nokon cables stretching?
    Talk about R&D