mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Mojo as an XC race bike

Shopping for a new XC race bike and am considering the Mojo. Its a bit heavier than some of the other XC race frames out there and has more travel, but I am told the DW link makes a huge difference, especially climbing, etc. Thoughts?

mtbr member

That depends

I would think that as a raceable trail bike it could be a good choice, as just a race bike I think there would be better choices. To keep the geometry and suspension travel balanced you should run a 140mm fork which seems a bit much for racing. If you put a shorter fork on it might screw up the geometry.

But as a fun ride it everywhere and do an occasional race bike I think it's good pick. In fact I'm ordering one for my wife.

mtbr member
    hello
    i ride the mojo cince 3 mounth
    definitly yes, with the talas fork and the RP23
    full xtr with light tire we could build a bike under 11kg

mtbr member
    I wouldn't hesitate to use my Mojo as a sport/expert class racer. I have a fully tricked out Rocky Mountain Element race bike, and after riding the Mojo for the last month, I think I would choose the Mojo on race day. It feels incredibly efficient while still sucking up anything thrown at it. Keep in mind, I'm not racing for a living, I'm just a 37 yr old guy that likes to race occasionally. If you are looking for a pure race bike, I'd say the Mojo *could* do it, but you should try and ride one first to see if you like the travel and balance for racing. You'll need a fork with lockout, I'm quite happy with my RS Revelation, a simple flick of the pop-loc and I can stand up and hammer the climbs. I leave the rear end active and it doesn't bob on climbs.

Trek 29er convert
    Aug 2006
    Tough call. I have a Trek Fuel 100 (carbon XC), and a Trek Pro 9.9 (carbon hardtail) and an Ibis Mojo, and the Fuel has been ridden once since I picked up the Ibis 6 weeks ago. Right now I think I'll probably still race the Fuel at Sea Otter and other shorter races, but we'll see. However, I'm definintely racing the Mojo at the Leadville Trail 100 (despite the fire-road course) and the Durango 100, and anything over 30 or 40 miles. And if I were an XC racer and could only own one bike, it'd be the Mojo. I only race 5 or 6 times a year, but I ride 200 days a year, if not more, and the Mojo is simply more fun to ride.

holding back the darkness

Racing Mojo..

IMHO the thinking that "race" bikes must be ultra-light, short travel rigs is becoming more and more obsolete. Especially with the advent of bikes like the mojo. Used to be, longer-travel bikes were built for downhill only... Suspension= energy-robbing monkey motion and additional weight on the climbs. Design has become more effecient, and more travel can now translate into not only faster descents but more traction, which depending on the course, can equal better climbing, not to mention braking, handling (i.e. safety). And if we're talking about long distance events (24hrs, 100+ mile insanity rides...) then the added comfort means the ability to remain riding for longer periods of time. If you- like the majority of the population- can only afford one really nice bike instead of a climbing course bike and a flat track bike and a downhill bike and an "all-mountain" bike and short track bike and a unicycle and you want the one bike that can do it all pretty well- here you go. If you're busy ironing your skinsuit while visions of feeding your family with all the money you're going to make from your winnings- keep dreaming. Those types are missing the point anyway. They spend their days in target heart rates and their nights downloading their HRM data to training programs all the while the joys of singletrack and bombing descents and the accomplishment of cleaning a nasty climb and enjoying the view are fading more and more into the background.
    Race you mojo's. But more importantly ride your mojo's. Have fun.