mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Mojo vs. DWL Turner

I currently am riding a Horst Link Turner 5 Spot and am considering either a Mojo SL or a DW link 5 spot. Some people have said that the Mojo is a little flexy in the rear end. The Turner is stiff, but is almost 2 pounds heavier. Have any of you ridden both bikes or do you notice any flex in the Mojo rear?

www.derbyrims.com
    A few riders feel some flex in the rear of the Mojo while riding. But compared to what? Compared to hardtail or a heavier full suspension bike.

Try to get demo's of each. They both have the same frame geometry and travel, but feel quite different when riding. Also demo the DWL Pivot Mach 5 with similar frame geometry and the same travel, which also feels quite different than the 5 Spot and Mojo, and is stiffer in flex than the other two.

The HL 5 Spot rear suspension is flexier than the Mojo but as you know it handles great.

Maybe consider a further forward progression in trail bike design and consider the Mojo HD, a pound lighter than the DWL 5 Spot, 1/2 pound heavier than the Mojo, more travel, pedals more efficiently than any near in travel and extremely stiff for it's travel.

mtbr member

????

"extremely stiff"
    How do you know that?
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    A few riders feel some flex in the rear of the Mojo while riding. But compared to what? Compared to hardtail or a heavier full suspension bike.

Try to get demo's of each. They both have the same frame geometry and travel, but feel quite different when riding. Also demo the DWL Pivot Mach 5 with similar frame geometry and the same travel, which also feels quite different than the 5 Spot and Mojo, and is stiffer in flex than the other two.

The HL 5 Spot rear suspension is flexier than the Mojo but as you know it handles great.

Maybe consider a further forward progression in trail bike design and consider the Mojo HD, a pound lighter than the DWL 5 Spot, 1/2 pound heavier than the Mojo, more travel, pedals more efficiently than any near in travel and extremely stiff for it's travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker
    "extremely stiff"
    How do you know that?
    Plenty of comments to that effect on the web. No first hand experience myself.

I think the arguments about stiffness of a Mojo are a bit tired now. I owned a 2007 Foes FXR and I don't think there is a stiffer 6" bike around ( apart from a new Foes) but I really haven't been aware of any untoward rear end movement and I ride hard. The Mojo is the best trail bike I have had the pleasure of riding and mine is going on for two years old. Bearings and linkages still tight and smooth.

As Derby said, Demo them and get the one that gives you the best buzz

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker
    "extremely stiff"
    How do you know that?
    The HD compares closely to the Firebird in stiffness doing common manual tests. Most consider the Firebird one of the stiffests in this travel range. Sure there may be stiffer bikes, not by much.

Many riders call the Nomad stiff, well the standard Mojo is just as stiff laterally and in torsion using common manual tests. Try that yourself. Although the Mojo pedals with less bob, it rides smoother and is more sharp bump compliant. More chattery cornering and braking suspension is apparently perceived as "stiffer".

Put the standard Mojo's top pro rider up against the best in the world in a dual-slalom race, a real world riding severe flex test with equal world class riders, and the Mojo pro rider has usually won. Even though the Mojo may not be the very stiffest, the flex is well balanced with the whole bike's handling and power delivery to repeatedly prove competitive for the win at the very top pro level.

Ride them. Some riders need more feedback, more chatter, to feel more confident. The Mojo is not ideal for everyone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Here's my review of the two bikes. Its a year old but might help you.

DW Link vs. Epiphany shootout (Very Long)

I loved the Turner, but thought the Mojo SL rode better, was lighter, and was cheaper.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by meph
    I loved the Turner, but thought the Mojo SL rode better, was lighter, and was cheaper.
    Interesting review, thanks for the re-post. Haven't ridden an Epiphany but have had some time on a Turner DW Spot. I have to agree on the cost/weight points. My last bouncy bike before my Mojo SL was a Nomad, which I loved for the most part. The point at which I started to love it less was when I started noticing the pedal feedback and the weight. I want a reasonably plush bike that can tear sh!t up going down, but is light enough to help me dance up the climbs. My old Nomad was a war horse going downhill, but on long, deathmarch tech climbs it was pissing me off.

My Mojo SL *never* pisses me off.

Get the Mojo.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by meph
    Here's my review of the two bikes. Its a year old but might help you.

DW Link vs. Epiphany shootout (Very Long)

Thanks for your reviews. Based on what you wrote and riding my friend's SL, I ordered the Ibis SL.

mtbr member
    Excellent review of spot vs. Mojo meph, those would be two of my top choices if and when I start looking at a new bike.

holding back the darkness
    Mojo HD vs. DwL Turner:
    Go to the turner forum. The fanboys are lamenting an RFX that doesn't exist.
    HD wins by one virtue: existence.