AB
    Feb 2005

Mojo SL WTF..is it just too much $s and wait time?

(please don't flame me for this question, I love Ibis as much as the next Ibis devote)

Been thinking a lot about the Ibis Mojo SL, and leaning toward an "if you're gonna do it do it" attitude that puts me squarely in the 6K WTF build.

Is it just too much to spend on a rig?

I used to buy the high end Euro carbon road frames, then jumped onto an Ausi EPX, and got a $6,000 experience out of a $2,500 built bike.

Again, I am not trashing Ibis, they are an A+ company with an amazing credo to the passion of two wheels, just wondering if anyone else is feeling this way?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    If you can afford it and will enjoy then $6K is a lot to spend but not to much!

I have put about that through my Mojo since I have replaced the original RP23 rear shock with a pushed vanilla rear and replaced the Pace Fighter RC41 fork with a Lyrik U-turn coil fork. I justify it to myself by saying I still have the Pace and will use it for a light weight build for the summer - but I know in my own mind I probably won't put the Pace on this year so will have to decide to try and sell it to re-coup some costs.

The worst part about waiting is the impending feeling that you will suffer from buyers remorse. Just be happy that once you have the bike (whatever build you end up with) the smiles just will not stop!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

compromise

Buy the SL with the Xt kit. you will hardly notice any difference and save. $$$$
    easton bars, same frame and shock, etc
    it is a great package.

"6K experience for 4k"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbaker77
    Again, I am not trashing Ibis, they are an A+ company with an amazing credo to the passion of two wheels, just wondering if anyone else is feeling this way?
    i feel the same way, but it is across the board.

all the top companies are expensive. you can spend 5-7k easily with many brands. so it is not ibis. it is all the doodads that you can put on a frame.

yeah, i never thought my mtn bike would cost more than my motocross machines! or the road bike i want as much as a small car

AB
    Feb 2005
    Not sure if anyone remembers, but years ago, Bike magazine, when they were cool, did a photo essay on rigs that cost more than the cars they ride on. Pretty funny, and even way more true today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I totally know the feeling, its hard to drop the money but hey you only live once get the bike that you want. Ibis is very reasonable as far as price goes for bikes in the same category ie. Scott, Specialized, etc. I love my mojo and yea it was a lot of money but i never want to get off of it and i feel like a rockstar when i am on it. Go for it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    On the frame you can cut the price by 200.00 by going with a more adjustable and more easily servicable shock by going with rp23 as many are doing.
    2300.00 for that frame with that new industry paint ? You are kinding right ? Trek's new abp fuel ex frame only is over 3k as is Scott Spark (I think you can pick the spark frame up for around 2900 some places). If you do a spread of weight/travel/price you might find the Moj sl blows the doors off of everything in it's class.
    Here is an old somewhat hacked together compairson of weight/travel ratio it would be easy to add price as a factor/varable/ratio
    Ibis Moj SL = 28.57
    Scott Spark = 28.20
    Carbon Hi Fi = 27.27
    Trek Fuel EX = 25.53
    Ibis Moj "Classic" = 23.76
    And Trek "Top" fuel gets left out at 18.36 or 90mm/4.9
    By comparison some heavier frames show quite a disparity in this ratio compared to your favorite bikes above at:
    Ellsworth Ephip = 133.35/5 = 26.67 (only bike close to others for this ratio)
    Sc Blur Classic Med. Frame at 5.9 lbs = 19.5
    Sc Blur LT = 21.7
    Sc Blur Xc = 22.11
    Sc Nomad 165/7.5 = 22
    Titus Racer X Classic = 18
    Titus Motolite = 22
    Turner Spot 140/6.2 = 22.58
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Also, look at the price compairson on these other bikes are with cheap gloss paint over carbon or paint that has a very difficult time adhering to carbon (as my bud that used to work for Kestrel would say). The PU paint has never been done in bike industry before and I imagine the margins are actually a little lower on the SL frames than on the regular Mojs. So, not a flame just fact. Btw, the same type of paint is being used in the walls of the pentagon. I can't find the link to the cinder block video right now.
    Last edited by ghawk; 03-28-2008 at 05:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Just think of the Mojo as an investment and you'll be fine.

The way I see it, anything that motivates me to get off of my sofa and ride is a good thing both physically and mentally.

FWIW, my friend just bought a set of HRE wheels and a set of low profile tires for his ride. He spent over $6,000 to replace a perfectly good set of stock wheels/tires. Now that's too much $ ... for so little in return.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Think of it this way, you are getting the finest piece of carbon engineering in Mountain Bike History, you are owning a bike that can do almost everything (XC to Heavy AM). And you are getting the sexiest looking bike out there that will surely attract other riders attention .

Oh yeah and boutique bike design tend to last longer then non-boutique.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken
    Just think of the Mojo as an investment and you'll be fine.

The way I see it, anything that motivates me to get off of my sofa and ride is a good thing both physically and mentally.

FWIW, my friend just bought a set of HRE wheels and a set of low profile tires for his ride. He spent over $6,000 to replace a perfectly good set of stock wheels/tires. Now that's too much $ ... for so little in return.
    HRE wheels are awesome! they are my dream wheel when i have the money. i decided on a mojo instead.

what did he put them on and what size did he get?

mx