mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Mojo SL worth the wait??

I am heading over to the States in a months or so time and was going to pick up a Mojo. I wanted the new SL but it looks like there wont be any available by March. I will also be going over in June/July time so can pick one up then, the question is, is it worth the wait and the extra dollar for the SL??

Having been after a Mojo for a while its hard to quantify spending all the extra money for it here in the UK! Its cheaper to fly to the states and buy one than buy one here in the UK! Like a $1600+ cheaper!

So should I wait for the SL or get the regular Mojo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm in a similar boat, trying to decide whether to order the SL and wait till at least May, or go with the Original and have it now ... I too will be ordering from the States, no way I'm going to pay Stif's prices over here; I'll take the risk on the warranty I guess...

On warranty, this is one reason I'm now leaning towards the original Mojo... older frame, longer time in production---> should mean that any bugs etc have now been ironed out--> so hopefully less likelihood of having to send a frame back to the US for a warranty claim, right?

Seems to me that there's a higher risk of needing a warranty claim on the SL, since it's a new frame... I know Ibis will look after any claims that arise, but I'll have to send the frame to the US to do so, which could be a pain...

Any thoughts on this?

cheers

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    I don't fully understand your situation. You said that you're going to be able to fly over to the states in June/July which by then, the Mojo SL should be available for you to pick up for ~$1600 less as you say. Either way, you can't get one right now correct? Meaning, you can either order it in the UK in March OR wait till June/July to pick it up here and save $1600? Is that the situation? If so, then it's about a 3 month wait. IF you're sold on the SL, then wait to get it here....but it's gonna be a tortuous wait. $1600 is a lot of savings though.

I think you're implying that you can get a "regular" Mojo right now....in the UK. But you didn't list the price difference between the Mojo and Mojo SL.

If you can get the "regular" Mojo right now vs. waiting at least 2 months PLUS paying way more for it, I don't think it's worth it. The allure of the SL is really the weight savings....and the added bling. But most of that weight is in the shock and I see a lot of posters are opting for the Fox anyways. Peculiar to me....but whatever.

It's natural for people to want something nicer. The Mojo was great but then the SL came out and the drooling started. Mojo owners looked at their bike like it was the bastard stepchild or something I'm exaggerating of course but for the added cost, the extra wait time for you, I just don't see the point. IMO, save the coin and spend it on the fork, wheels, etc. If you don't need to, GET the shock/fork PUSH'd. Those upgrades would make more of a difference in your riding experience anyways (assuming you don't upgrade the SL).

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    If it was me buying a new Ibis Mojo of some variety I would probably be ok waiting until the worst of our Winter had passed (that would be about March) but I know I couldn't stand not having a bike until May.

It is hard to pass up 1/2lb for $500 as well as the nice paint options. I personally prefer the raw carbon look over the Mojo color options but the more subdued Mojo SL colors and the hockey stick paint strength definitely would be appealing to me.

The bottom line for me would be that the Mojo original is such a great deal that if it meant 6 months of waiting I wouldn't bother. But if it effectively was only 2-3 months because of either immediate finances or weather I might wait for the SL. Such a tough choice I don't envy anyone having to make it.

I also guess that if both were available I might think pretty strongly about which bike based on how aggressively I like to ride and the fact that the Mojo has a track record of strength, but even that argument is hard to apply given how great Ibis customer service is. Yep I think if both were available I would be explaining to my wife how my build price just increased by $500.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    But most of that weight is in the shock ...
    Incorrect. The weight difference between the RP3 and DT is 60g.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    Incorrect. The weight difference between the RP3 and DT is 60g.
    Right...my bad. I swore I read that the difference in weight was around 113 grams....don't have any idea where I had got that in my head though...must have been thinking of something else.

Anyways. I still think that the weight savings is not as vital as using the extra coin and upgrading either the wheels, fork or pushing the fork/shock. Too many people are hung up with weight IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    I don't fully understand your situation. You said that you're going to be able to fly over to the states in June/July which by then, the Mojo SL should be available for you to pick up for ~$1600 less as you say. Either way, you can't get one right now correct? Meaning, you can either order it in the UK in March OR wait till June/July to pick it up here and save $1600? Is that the situation? If so, then it's about a 3 month wait. IF you're sold on the SL, then wait to get it here....but it's gonna be a tortuous wait. $1600 is a lot of savings though.

I think you're implying that you can get a "regular" Mojo right now....in the UK. But you didn't list the price difference between the Mojo and Mojo SL.
    Hi ddraewwg,

You misunderstood me a little, I have two trips planed over to the States, one in March where I could pick up a Mojo, then another trip in June/July where I could pick up a Mojo SL as there should be avaliability by then.

A Mojo XT here is 3100 and the Mojo SL XT is 3500, basically double this figure to get to US$.

So in the UK the Mojo SL is effectively $7000, where as in the US its $4700!!

Once I have paid for my flight I will save around $1600!!

So, should I wait 3 months for the SL??

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Does anyone know how the the warranty works with Ibis. Like "tensim" said, if I bought my bike in the US from an Ibis dealer, would this warranty be covered by their UK dealer? I couldn't really find anything on the Ibis site..

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GBR1
    Hi ddraewwg,

You misunderstood me a little, I have two trips planed over to the States, one in March where I could pick up a Mojo, then another trip in June/July where I could pick up a Mojo SL as there should be avaliability by then.

A Mojo XT here is 3100 and the Mojo SL XT is 3500, basically double this figure to get to US$.

So in the UK the Mojo SL is effectively $7000, where as in the US its $4700!!

Once I have paid for my flight I will save around $1600!!

So, should I wait 3 months for the SL??
    Then the Mojo XT is $800 less (in US $) correct? Since you'd be paying the same airfare (i'm assuming) no matter when you go, then it makes the normal Mojo more expensive relative to the SL since you won't be saving as much. Meaning you're not getting as much bang for your buck....(or pounds since you're in the UK ) for taking the time to fly over here. So really it's a matter of wait time. Toughy. $800 is quite a bit of coin though which can easily cover wheels/better fork/PUSH mods, etc. AND you'd be able to ride the bike NOW. er...in March. Don't know how the weather is over there in March or when you're "peak" time would be, but waiting till June/July is definitely late over here.

mtbr member
    I was going to order the original mojo in September but waited 4 long months for the SL. Every day was worth the wait. When you hit the trails on your AM bike that weighs less than your road bike, you will wonder why you ever second guessed the SL purchase.

However, if you are planning on building the usual 28lb. build, I guess follow the crowd and build up the old proven version because you will never notice the SL weight difference. So, I guess your answer depends on your build. In person you will agree that the old shiny finish is way more bling and this might be what your after. The SL hockey stick finish commands less attention to the novice eye in comparison with the shiny coat.

Either way you will be happy and pleased with your purchase. So which is it, heavy build or light build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I agree.

Rides a Bike
    Hey, buy both... and then have fun each day deciding which colour, weight or level of shininess you want to ride.

Take the SL for flat out sprinty racer boy rides, or go with the (only slightly) heavier trusty mojo for extra training (and carry a few house bricks to really help you harden up... :0)

I went with a mostly WTF on my standard mojo and reckon it's perfect for the riding and racing I do.

Buying now gets you 3-4 months extra enjoyment and 3-4 months less risk of beer belly (which could equate to far more than 400 grams...)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GBR1
    Does anyone know how the the warranty works with Ibis. Like "tensim" said, if I bought my bike in the US from an Ibis dealer, would this warranty be covered by their UK dealer? I couldn't really find anything on the Ibis site..

Cheers
    Here's what Scot Nicol had to say about this:

"If you bought a frame in the US while living in the UK (to avoid higher prices), and the frame broke while you were in the UK, we'd ask you to deal with who you bought it from in the US. We pay for the warranty, but the distributor pays the inbound freight (and duty and customs brokerage, inland freight etc). How it gets from the US dealer to you would be up to you..."

I still think it's worth the risk to be honest...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Another interesting thread, but with quite a bit of jargon...
    What's the difference between say, a Mojo XT , an SL XT, an original Mojo ( called an SX ? ) and the new ( was there ever an old version ?? ) SL ???
    Perhaps someone can shed some light on all this jargon...
    Yeah yeah, I've seen Chuck Ibis's website, it still could be explained by someone who has bought,ridden and evaluated...

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by richmck
    Another interesting thread, but with quite a bit of jargon...
    What's the difference between say, a Mojo XT , an SL XT, an original Mojo ( called an SX ? ) and the new ( was there ever an old version ?? ) SL ???
    Perhaps someone can shed some light on all this jargon...
    Yeah yeah, I've seen Chuck Ibis's website, it still could be explained by someone who has bought,ridden and evaluated...
    MOJO SL = the new mojo frame 4.93lbs.
    MOJO = the "old" mojo frame

XT Build = one of the build kit options.
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojosl/parts_pick/
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojo/parts_pick/