mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Mojo SL - warranty issues?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo1034
    The lower pivot developed some play. I initially thought it was the cranks, on my second visit to my LBS they removed the cranks and rear triangle in an attempt to determine the cause of the problem. On my last ride I could feel my cranks making contact with the rear triangle when climbing. Apparently the bottom pivot on the frame became ovelized causing the play. Anyways Ibis is replacing the front triangle for me. I should have it ready by this weekend.
    I know I've already posted a thread on potential warranty issues with the Mojo, but just wanted to stick this up on a seperate thread, hoping Ibis could quickly respond for me

Just wondering what would've been the cause of this 'ovalisation' of the frames bottom pivot? Is it something a user can check for and rectify before it actually totals the frame and requires replacement under warranty?

cheers, appreciate your time as always...

mtbr member
    Hello Tensim,

Tom from Ibis posting. There was no "ovalization" of the pivot. With the frame noted above there was a problem in manufacturing that compromised the carbon lay-up around the main pivot. Hence, the flexy feeling.

We saw this occassionally with the regular Mojo frames, but found that it had happened with a number of the first batch of Mojo SL frames. Fortunately, we discovered this after only 3 frames had been shipped. We were able to test the rest of the frames in the first batch to screen for this before shipping them out. So the other lucky folk who received these have nothing to worry about.

We have been able to revise the manufacturing process to prevent this from happening in the future, but the implementation of this change is the reason that delivery has been set back.

So to sumarize, to date we have never seen a frame with an ovalized main pivot shaft. Gonzo's frame had a problem that we have since resolved in production, and is something that we now screen for prior to shipping frames.

Have a good weekend!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Thanks Tom

Appreciate your reply, I figured it was just a one-off glitch and you guys were on top of it!

I'm only worried about warranty issues as I'm being a bit cheeky and buying my frame in the States whilst I'm based in the UK...

So, I'm just trying to get an idea of any known issues that exist and may lead to the need for me to send my frame to the US (which could quickly negate the savings I'll make with the initial purchase...)

So all is back on track for the SL production line after Chinese New Year right? When will we start to see a decent volume of frames coming out?

cheers, you guys rock!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Try and Get

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Tom
    Hello Tensim,

Tom from Ibis posting. There was no "ovalization" of the pivot. With the frame noted above there was a problem in manufacturing that compromised the carbon lay-up around the main pivot. Hence, the flexy feeling.

We saw this occassionally with the regular Mojo frames, but found that it had happened with a number of the first batch of Mojo SL frames. Fortunately, we discovered this after only 3 frames had been shipped. We were able to test the rest of the frames in the first batch to screen for this before shipping them out. So the other lucky folk who received these have nothing to worry about.

We have been able to revise the manufacturing process to prevent this from happening in the future, but the implementation of this change is the reason that delivery has been set back.

So to sumarize, to date we have never seen a frame with an ovalized main pivot shaft. Gonzo's frame had a problem that we have since resolved in production, and is something that we now screen for prior to shipping frames.

Have a good weekend!
    Try and get that kinda honest response from almost any other frame manufacturer in the business.

Oh yea...., so that why might sl order is late as hell !

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Great One of the reasons

One of the reasons I went with the Moj, is this kinda interaction with the company. Thus you can tell what kinda outfit you are really dealing with.
    I don't mind waiting on my beutiful gray SL. It is well worth the wait.