mtbr member
    May 2012

Mojo SL vs HD for someone who hasn't had FS before

I'm almost ready to buy a Mojo SL Special Blend, tomorrow I'm renting one from my LBS to make sure the medium is the right size. I've been poking around looking at the Mojo HD Special Blend, and now I'm not so sure which one I should get. It looks like both the Special Blend versions of these bikes are only about .3lbs difference in weight (according to Competitive Cyclist), so since weight doesn't seem to be an issue I'm wondering what to do.

I'm sure the first question I'll get is "what is your riding style", so to answer that I'll say to be honest I'm not sure. I'm just now trying to get back into MTB riding, I've only ridden hardtails up until now, and most of those are more than a decade old. When I was really into MTB riding before, I rode what ever I could find but at the time there was much in the FS space so nobody was barreling down any trails with 6" of sus. I'm hoping to get a "one size fits all" kind of bike, but I've heard some refer to the SL as that and others the HD. I'm also not so sure about the extra travel, if I'd need it or not, etc.

What would you recommend to someone like me who hasn't had a FS bike before, but is looking to get a one size fits all bike that I can use for years and years? The SL, or the HD? (BTW if the SL-R was offered in a Special Blend I'd have purchased it by now)

insert sarcasm here
    What's your riding weight? If the HD special blend is truly only .3lbs heavier than an SL special blend, I'd take the HD hands down. With the introduction of the SL-R, the SL seems a bit outdated. Then again, I'm sure they're many SL owners that will chime in and call blasphemy.

The HD will provide a better basis with which to build a bike around to "use for years and years" It is much stiffer, and you can run 5 or 6" of travel . Not positive, but I don't think the SL is suited for a 160mm fork.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    What's your riding weight? If the HD special blend is truly only .3lbs heavier than an SL special blend, I'd take the HD hands down. With the introduction of the SL-R, the SL seems a bit outdated. Then again, I'm sure they're many SL owners that will chime in and call blasphemy.

The HD will provide a better basis with which to build a bike around to "use for years and years" It is much stiffer, and you can run 5 or 6" of travel . Not positive, but I don't think the SL is suited for a 160mm fork.
    Right now I'm about 240, but I'm on an active diet (I lost almost 20 pounds already). So at this point I'm a heavy rider but I don't anticipate staying at this weight for long. My target riding weight will be around 200.

BTW I'm basing the bike weights off of the noted website, but I have no clue how close to accurate they are.

insert sarcasm here
    I've only ridden an SL-R and HD (own an HD). Hopefully some SL owners will chime in with their opinions. But with a riding weight of 200lb, I would wonder about frame flex with the SL. Frame stiffness does not appear to be an attribute with the SL, and some riders have reported noticeably frame flex.

Not trying to make up your mind for you, but I would certainly wait to buy until those that have ridden both the SL and SL-R/HD provide feedback.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    The HD gives you much more flexibility. If you decide you only want a 140 bike you can get that with the HD. If you decide you want a 160 bike you are going to have to replace the SL. Also the stiffness of the SL is going to be suspect based on your size. To me the HD is a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for starting this thread. I, too, am waffling back and forth between the HD and the SL-R... I'd put myself squarely into the "Trail" category of riders, but that seems more of a no-mans land these days, with many AM riders swearing by the 6"+ travel bikes, but XC riders shaving ounces/grams. I don't do huge drops, but if people are reporting flex in the SL-R frame at 200 lbs, that's about what I'd ride at too.

The HD can also be converted to a 650b ride, so that's a little more flexibility too. Just weighs a bit more, maybe a pound? Components will be the main difference in final build weight, I would think. Seems that the HD frame is more versatile (650b options, different forks/travels, etc.).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Oh yeah, and when you pick can you let me know your height and inseam vs. the frame size? I test rode a Large HD Mojo and while it felt good, I needed a 100 mm stem to get into the cockpit comfortably. I feel that may have messed with the climbing, but the descents were awesome. I am 6'2", 190 lbs, 200-205 lbs riding weight, so size-wise in the HD frame (weight) but height wise maybe between L and XL. Just curious what you find.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnDad View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread. I, too, am waffling back and forth between the HD and the SL-R... I'd put myself squarely into the "Trail" category of riders, but that seems more of a no-mans land these days, with many AM riders swearing by the 6"+ travel bikes, but XC riders shaving ounces/grams. I don't do huge drops, but if people are reporting flex in the SL-R frame at 200 lbs, that's about what I'd ride at too.

The HD can also be converted to a 650b ride, so that's a little more flexibility too. Just weighs a bit more, maybe a pound? Components will be the main difference in final build weight, I would think. Seems that the HD frame is more versatile (650b options, different forks/travels, etc.).
    Fyi the OP is referring to a Mojo SL, different than an SL-R...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The HD is my trail bike. 160mm. 6'0,200lbs, size large with a 70mm stem.
    Last edited by saidrick; 03-10-2013 at 01:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    For those of you with an HD, are you running 160 or 140mm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    160, all mountain, trail xc whatever

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 200lb 6'0" with a 33.5" inseam riding a large HD160 650b. I've got a 70mm 0deg stem on right now, will probably swap to a 70mm with a bit of rise soon. Bike hauls ass...160mm is overkill for some of the trails I ride but the HD pedals so well that I don't feel a significant difference between my HD and my buddy's SL on XC rides. It's my one bike and i wanted something I can pedal on XC rides, ride on bigger train when road tripping and also rip at the bike park a few times a year. The HD is exactly that...super versatile.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnDad View Post
    Oh yeah, and when you pick can you let me know your height and inseam vs. the frame size? I test rode a Large HD Mojo and while it felt good, I needed a 100 mm stem to get into the cockpit comfortably. I feel that may have messed with the climbing, but the descents were awesome. I am 6'2", 190 lbs, 200-205 lbs riding weight, so size-wise in the HD frame (weight) but height wise maybe between L and XL. Just curious what you find.
    XL, no question. Large will be too small. You should never need a 100mm stem to fit a frame these days. A 50-70mm stem is a good choice.

mtbr member
    I have both an SL and HD, I weight 225lb. You definitely want the HD more for te 34/36" forks than anything else. My main issue with the SL is fork flex more than frame flex.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So I rented both an SL and an HD today, and all I can say is I still have no answers :-)

I really liked both, both seemed to fit me the same (although the SL I rented had too long of a stem for me). I honestly couldn't tell the difference in stiffness, but I wasn't pushing either bike hard and my rides were very flat. I also couldn't tell the difference much in weight, although both had dropper posts which I think I won't need.

Decisions decisions...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just get the hd. It's updated version of all the mojos with all the tapered headtube slacker head angle different carbon layup and etc... I'm riding a mojo c and I'm saving up to get an hd.

mtbr member
    HD no question. Its a better overall frame than the sl. The sl is a great frame no doubt, but the HD is what all bike companies strive to beat. Its super strong, only 6.5 pounds and can go 140 or 160.

mtbr member
    Yep, HD.
    I've had a Mojo C, and now an SL, and they are the best bikes I've ever owned....true classics, and I'm stoked every time I ride. You probably would be too....
    But.... it's also a design that's several years old now and has been improved upon with the HD and SLR. You sound like an HD guy all the way to me..... don't let the fact that you couldn't discern much difference between them on one ride muddle your brain. Everyone here can assure you that these bikes will really help you up your game, and you'll start pushing the envelope on which ever one you get..... The HD is a much bigger envelope.... stiffer, stronger, options for travel and geometry, out of the box 650b compatibility (in 140mm mode). Take it from a dyed in the wool SL owner/lover... HD is your bike. I would have upgraded to one myself long ago if not for IRS, college tuition, yada yada.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I put my order in today from my LBS! HD medium, white, with black linkage in the Special Blend package. Not only will this be my first FS bike, but it also will be my first running 2x10 instead of 3x10. I seriously thought about the Vitamin-P color, but in the end I opted for simple black and white. I can't wait! Too bad I'll be out of town this weekend!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingshelmut View Post
    I put my order in today from my LBS! HD medium, white, with black linkage in the Special Blend package. Not only will this be my first FS bike, but it also will be my first running 2x10 instead of 3x10. I seriously thought about the Vitamin-P color, but in the end I opted for simple black and white. I can't wait! Too bad I'll be out of town this weekend!
    Excellent choice.

Brief story: bought a beautiful Mojo SL in July of 2011 (2012 model), 2x10 X9, Fox Kashima, Crank Bros Cobalt wheels, etc., thinking that the HD was too much bike for the kind of riding I was capable of. Well, flash forward one year on the SL, and it was such a great bike it pushed me as a rider. I started craving the HD. This week sold my SL and will be ordering the HD in a couple of days. As excellent a bike as the SL is, I wish I had gotten the HD originally. The great thing about the HD is that if it's too much bike for you now, it's immensely capable and versatile for all kinds of trails, from flowy single track to light bike park duty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by das recht View Post
    XL, no question. Large will be too small. You should never need a 100mm stem to fit a frame these days. A 50-70mm stem is a good choice.
    Thanks for the guidance. When I was returning the Large, the owner of the LBS happened to be there and as I was talking about how it rode, he immediately said "You should be on an XL" - they were super-cool too, giving me another demo day on another bike given the misfitting bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingshelmut View Post
    Good Choice. I too switched over to 2x10 with the HD.
    It will make you climb faster , whether you want to or not.