mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Mojo SL Special Blend -> XX1 Upgrade

After picking up a Mojo SL Special Blend last year and loving every second of riding it, I opted to get some upgrades this season to reward myself for a hellish year at work. A month ago, I picked up a set of Stans Arch EX wheels.

This weekend, I made the jump to XX1. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to ride it yet as I had a fire at work to put out at the last minute. Regardless, the difference in weight alone is incredible. I'll post weights and riding impressions shortly...

Before (with Stans wheelset):
    Mojo SL Special Blend -> XX1 Upgrade-slx.jpg

After (XX1):
    Mojo SL Special Blend -> XX1 Upgrade-xx1.jpg

No idea why it has attachments and duplicates. Anyone know how to remove? (I only see how to add attachments)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo SL Special Blend -> XX1 Upgrade-slx.jpg  

Mojo SL Special Blend -> XX1 Upgrade-slx.jpg  

Mojo SL Special Blend -> XX1 Upgrade-xx1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Congrats, you will love the XX1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    so this means it's also compatible with mojo c?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So I've finally been able to get some time to ride this thing since the upgrade.

First impressions: I am drinking the Kool-Aid by the gallon. XX1 is incredible!

Ride report: Not having much time, I snuck out of work early and hit Walnut Creek for a spin. Although lacking any heavy technical areas, there's a fairly good variety of riding here so it was a good test with limited time to travel.

The start of the ride has a lot of tight turns linked back-to-back. Here, the Grip Shift XX1 really impressed me. Although I was initially put-off by the extremely small travel required to shift (compared to the original X-ray Grip Shift I used eons ago), the small travel worked extremely well here. With hands firmly planted and the bike leaned over heavily, I was able to shift mid-turn and keep momentum maximized nearly everywhere. Pretty slick...

Out into the open on longer stretches, I found I was settling into gears that seemed perfectly suited to the cadence my legs wanted to spin. You know that feeling you get when you're in a mid-ring combo and find yourself wondering if the ratio from raising/dropping a gear up front and in back would be better? With a few exceptions, I honestly felt like the gear I was in was "right". For whatever reason, the stock XX1 gear ratios with the 30t front are surprisingly suited for my riding style.

Walnut Creek has some climbs, but nothing that could give a proper challenge the giant ring on the back of my bike. XX1 shifts were sharp and no issues were seen even when shifting under load. I'm really anxious to see if I'll be begging for an easier gear when I head to more challenging climbs. So far, I'm feeling like it won't be an issue.

Downhills put a smile on my face. Maybe I'm alone on this, but using Grip Shift has always felt a bit "Moto" to me. I do miss the loud and heavy "click" when you engaged a gear on the older Grip Shift. However, the shifting was effortless and I found myself able to grab a gear even when things started getting really hairy.

There's a small BMX loop that has some great places to catch some air and have some fun. Aside from the face of one of my usual favorite jumps being changed (different pitch had me doing some mid-air acrobatics to land on the wheels), the drivetrain worked without issue. No dropped chains, no issues.

I'm anxious to see how things fare when I get to ride at a handful of other places around Austin. Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the weight loss and performance. Now I just need to get more time to ride!