mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Mojo SL - Size Advice Please

Just fell in love with the SL and now keen to order one! I am 5ft 11 with a short inside leg and long torso. Both my other bikes are 600mm top tubes and more cross country orientated, but i want this to be more all mountain. I feel is fall between the medium and large, anyone else had similar and what was your final choice?

mtbr member
    i'm 5'10 and went with a large and a short stem for an AM feel and love it. Medium felt too short for me.

bike rider
    Yup, large with a 50-70mm stem. It'll be more endo proof than a medium.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 5'10" and went with a medium w/ a 100mm stem. I had a large with a short stem but it didn't feel as "flickable". It kind of depends on your riding style and terrain. My neck of the woods is tight and twisty, short up and downs.

Church of the Wheel
    I'm 5'11" with "normalish" torso and leg lengths. I originally bought a large, and rode it for a year and a half. It felt okay, but a bit more stretched out than I wanted, so I shortened the stem down to 80mm, and turned a layback post around, and still wished for a bit shorter frame, so finally switched the front triangle out for a medium. I'm still riding with the 80mm stem and now either a straight post or a layback turned the correct way, and instead of the fit being "acceptable", it's glove-like. If I were more of a racer, I probably would have preferred the slightly more stretched out position of the large, but as it is I much prefer to be slightly more upright. If there's any way you can demo both sizes, that would be the thing to do. Fit is so personal. Hope this helps.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So without sounding like i have to much time on my hands this is my thinking!

The difference between the medium and large are; +20mm in top tube, +9mm in stand over and +15mm on head tube. Zero rise stem vs 6/10 degree rise will loose 10mm of the height which leaves only a 5mm difference. 90mm stem instead of 100mm loses 10mm off the reach - another 5-10mm could be reduced with bar with greater rise or sweep. 9mm on stand over on a bike with good a stand over is not going to make a difference either way. The only difference (i think?) between on the seat tube is that the "neck" joint top tube seat tube is goes further up on the large?

I have ridden the medium with 100mm 6 degree stem and whilst it was OK it did feel a bit short. I think 110mm stem would be OK but nothing longer. Where as 90 - 80 is going to just make the steering feel snapier/faster.

Soooo, I am leaning toward the large as i think it gives me a little more flexibility without screwing up the steering.
    Have i missed anything?

Church of the Wheel
    The larger size makes sense for you as you have a longer torso - bar reach is the critical fitting point. If the medium felt cramped to you then that pretty much confirms it. Kudos.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Am I right about the seat tube difference?

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWookieUK
    .......without screwing up the steering.
    Exactly, we've discovered in the last 10 years that shorter stems steer better, especially when going fast, leaning in a corner, or aiming downhill. If you don't do these things you won't notice much difference in stem length besides reach.
    When going with a short stem on a bike that has to climb well handlebar reach is maintained with a longer toptube (and longer front center, the distance from BB to Front Axle) this also results in better high stability and resistance to endoing.
    The downside to a longer front center is the bike has to be manhandled into tight turns. Fun once you learn how and Peaty & Minnaar do it pretty fast on suuuuper long frames.
    Only times to be conservative with top tube length are dirt jumping and riding skinnies & stunts because longer bikes just don't fit them as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb143
    I'm 5'11" with "normalish" torso and leg lengths. I originally bought a large, and rode it for a year and a half....finally switched the front triangle out for a medium...
    Funny, I'm almost 5'11" with normalish dimension and I actually did the complete opposite...started with a medium (w/ 110 stem) for ~2 years and finally swapped out for large (w/ 90 stem). I like the large with shorter stem much better, and I like the flexibility that I can try an even shorter stem than 90 if I want. Goes to show how subjective fit is.

I would say if you (OP) think you might want to run (or try) a shorter stem, go with a large. The longer wheelbase and shorter stem make it more stable on the techy downhills. It would theoretically make it a bit harder to manage on tight switchbacks, but that hasn't played out for me.

The front end is a tad lighter on the steepest climbs w/ the shorter stem, but not enough to offset the benefits IMO (and if you have a fork w/ travel adjust you can basically neutralize this giveup).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think you are right. The shop only has a medium currently and am waiting for large to come in. Like you say gives the flexibility to run shorter stem and/or bars with more or less sweep. Longer wheelbase should just make it more stable and shorter stem will make for quicker handling in the single track. Cant wait!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

More sizing questions

Reviving an older thread for similar questions (and, yes, I've searched through a bunch of these threads on mojo sizing and still would like an opinion):

I'm 5'10'' with long torso and short legs (30ish). I've demoed a medium and am going to go and test out a large tomorrow. I ride a lot of different stuff around the Pacific NW (Seattle and surrounding areas primarily), from tight rooty XC rides, to long climbs with fast technical descents and sort of bike parkish stuff (flowy ups and downs without major jumps/drops, Duthie Hill if you are from around here). I should also add that my current bike is a (very) old Gary Fisher aka long top tube type bike.

After reading through many of these threads, I'm thinking about going with a large with a bit of a shorter stem. My question to you would be what size stem? I'll be purchasing the bike a ways away (much cheaper), so cannot just walk in and have them help me. And the place that I'm demoing at just doesn't have very knowledgeable people about mountain biking.

Thanks for the assistance.
    Last edited by BallardFoodie; 05-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.

bike rider
    Start with a 70mm. You can go down to 50 to get a better feel over jumps and up to 90 if climbing is a priority but 70 should be good.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty much the same size as you, and use the mojo for a bit of everything. I have a large with a 70mm stem and it feels great. I am not a big fan of longer stems anyway if that makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Looks like I'll be looking for at a 70mm stem. Thanks to you both.