mtbr member

Mojo SL rear wheel issue

Today after work I was able to get out and get a nice one hour ride. Towards the end of the ride after a short downhill I was climbing and on the rear cog the chain shifting on its own. I put up with it and did another short downhill at speed. Then when I started to climb again the ghost shifting continued and it was frustrating. I stopped at the top of the climb got off and looked at the rear derailleur which looked ok. I lifted the seat a little to spin the wheel and the wheel fell off. The quick release was completely loosened. I feel very fortunate that it didn't come completely off on a downhill. Has anyone had this happen to them on a Mojo SL. This weekend after my ride I took off the rear wheel and cleaned a greased the quick release. I tightened it but I am always hesitant to put too much pressure on it because of the carbon frame. Is there a rule as to how much to tighten. This is the first time the wheel has ever come loose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Scary!
    I've been told as a rule of thumb that if it leaves a mark in your hand from tightening it, it's sufficient pressure.
    Don't worry about over tightening it for the sake of the dropouts - you can't hurt them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    Today after work I was able to get out and get a nice one hour ride. Towards the end of the ride after a short downhill I was climbing and on the rear cog the chain shifting on its own. I put up with it and did another short downhill at speed. Then when I started to climb again the ghost shifting continued and it was frustrating. I stopped at the top of the climb got off and looked at the rear derailleur which looked ok. I lifted the seat a little to spin the wheel and the wheel fell off. The quick release was completely loosened. I feel very fortunate that it didn't come completely off on a downhill. Has anyone had this happen to them on a Mojo SL. This weekend after my ride I took off the rear wheel and cleaned a greased the quick release. I tightened it but I am always hesitant to put too much pressure on it because of the carbon frame. Is there a rule as to how much to tighten. This is the first time the wheel has ever come loose.

Huckin' trails
    Last year (I usually ride to the trail head) I was on my way for a good session if climbing/descent with my FR rig and before the climb I always stop at the park at the mountain's beginning to stretch out a bit and setup suspension. So I arrive, stop close to a bench, get off the bike and lift it by the saddle to lay it against the bench and then the rear wheel just stay right on the ground, with the drop-outs in the air... I've since add the QR check to my pre/post ride checklist and to the list of mid-ride verifications... That was scary knowing I wasn't planning at first to stop to stretch out, but to do it later after a good heat up climb...

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

aka dan51
    I had something similar on Sat. Did some brake work and didn't tighten the rear properly.
    I'd rather err on the side of too much pressure than not enough. I don't think you could generate enough pressure with a QR handle to damage the frame, the handle would probably break before the frame gets any damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Make sure your qr's are tight kids!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Don't care about tighten too much. There are stainless steel inserts at the droputs that won't let damage the carbon with the pressure of a skewer. I use a 135x10mm Hadley thru axle on my SL, and i keep it tightened way much that any skewer can resist. Never had any issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You could switch to a DT Swiss RWS skewer. The ratchet down instead of cam, letting you place a lot more force on it than with a traditional skewer. Alternatively, you can see if your hub can accommodate a through bolt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I had the same problem along with an annoying popping sound. I got tiered of check if my QR was open, so I just got a new one (sorry I donít remember the brand) and all my problems were solved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Send a note to Scot or Hans. I had the exact same issue w/ my QR and they promptly shipped a new one. No issues since it's been on there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    You could switch to a DT Swiss RWS skewer. The ratchet down instead of cam, letting you place a lot more force on it than with a traditional skewer. Alternatively, you can see if your hub can accommodate a through bolt.
    I recently added the 10mm DT Swiss RWS to my Mojo SL rear & it works beautifully, stiffens up the rear triangle and super secure , )