mtbr member

Mojo SL-R Bottom bracket

Spent about 7 hours in the Saddle today on a Demo IBIS SL-R, Wow I had a huge smile on my face all day. I really loved the bike and would be placing an order right now except for one thing, a creaky bottom bracket (I'm guessing that's what it was, only happens when peddling) when climbing out of the saddle and less so cranking hard on steeper uphills. Asked the guy at the shop I rented it from and he admitted they have had some issues with noise from the press in bottom brackets.

Folks with these bikes what have your experience been? There not really home shop friendly so it may be a deal breaker for me.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i haven't had any issues with my SL-R - however, creaking did happen on occasion from the linkages. And a quick tightening took care of it. FWIW I pressed the BB cups in by hand entirely. And a Park headset tool will work just fine if you are really worried about it, should you ever need to remove them.

mtbr member
    I had creaking sound previously when climbing up steep hill and i search all possible area for that sound. In the end is the rear shox front bushing that is causing the creaking sound, I greased the bushing and the sound is gone.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses, after doing more research seems the press in BB's tend to have more issues than the standard BB's for all bike brands. Talked to some folks that have had not problems, some that have, enough for me not to risk it, it's a shame I really really liked the SL-R.

I decided to go which an HD-140, I can build it up fairly light as a all day rider. But have the option of swaping the shock and fork out for a big hit monster 160/180 travel bike. At 140 it can even be run as a 650b, incredibly versatile bike and it has a standard threaded BB and should even be stiffer than the SL_R I demoed.

mtbr member
    Bingo!
    Good move

mtbr member
    Did the same. Shooting for sub-26 lbs.

Unpredictable
    More input on the SL-R BB please. I have a frame in the garage waiting to be built up. What are the secrets of press fit BBs Also, they are meant to be stiffer than threaded, I thought. How weird, no question mark possible!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    no secrets, just a super-wide BB shell which is integral to the frame design and stiffness. I'd say the press-fit is more simple than threaded, since its literally two cups and some spacers. But with BB92, you don't even use the spacers. Using a bit of grease, I pressed mine in by hand most of the way, used a mallet for the remainder, and have never had an issue.

mtbr member
    Here is a thread someone pointed to me on press fit's.

Press Fit vs Threaded Bottom Brackets

I don't know for sure if it was the BB on the SL-R I demoed, maybe it could have been something else loose as other have mentioned. But rocking it hard back and forth without peddling produced no noise, only while peddling, hard seated, and always while out of the saddle peddling. Talked to a 200lb guy in Tahoe that rides his SL-R 4 to 5 times a week, he has had his for a year, no issues. A couple people I know have told me they are having creaking with press in BB's on there bikes (Not IBIS).

Talking to a couple different shop guys though, they say they have more issues with the press in's, one guy said King is supposed to be coming out with a aluminum body press in and he hopes it solves some of these issues they have seen.

I decided I just did not want to take the risk, prolly would have been fine but I'd be kicking myself if I ran into issues. I'm super stoked to be getting the 140 HD, I think I'm going to be even happier with that bike than the SL-R

mtbr member

No issues here

I have a three bikes with PF BB's and one is an SLR and I have had no issues with any of them. I had a creak and it turned out to be an Eggbeater pedal. I don't think they are a problem. Shimano has done lots of testing.
    milesW