mtbr member
    May 2009

Mojo SL-R and 650B

So I've read the threads on the HD being compatible with 650b, albeit with a "smaller" rear tire, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it on an SL-R. I recently moved from a 29er to a SL-R, and to be honest, miss the big wheels a bit (still love the bike thought). Please let me know if anyone has experimented! Thanks.

Greg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I asked Jeff @Ibis. Not enough clearance for a 650b tire.

www.derbyrims.com
    I fit my 650bx2.3 Neo-moto in a production SL-R this year at the Sea Otter, and it barely cleared, there was only 2mm clearance, half of the clearance my prior Mojo C and the SL's have. A 2.1 Neo-moto or smaller would be OK, and a more appropriate size for the XC, DS, and 4X oriented SL-R.

Using 650b x 2.1 in the SL-R there might be a bottom-out seat tube rub problem with some shocks as some Ibis 650b wheel riders including me found with the C and SL using 2.3 Neo-moto tires.

All years of the HD140 have plenty of room for a new 650b Neo-Moto 2.3 with no modifications, about 5 or 6mm tire clearance with a new tire, including bottom-out clearance to the seat tube. The HD160 needs 2 to 4mm bottom travel limiting shims in the shock for bottom-out seat tube clearance.