mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Mojo SL/Parts Feeling Guilty

Hey,

Just got most of my build parts yesterday for my SL frame set. Boy, talk about feeling guilty, yesterday was also my wife's birthday and here I just got a couple thousand dollars worth of bike parts. Selfish or what?

Lets see, we need a new washer and dryer, wife wants stainless apppliances, wife wants a rowing machine, need to build my garage addition for the kids rec. room this summer. and there's no more overtime at work.

Hey, I wounder how succesful I'd be selling a new med Mojo SL with XTR, X-0, I9 and Marta parts on it on E-bay. Just a thought

Got to get over this guilt thing. On the other hand, these parts are breathtaking and scarry light, down right gorgeous, can't wait to get my frame set. As picky as I am, I must admit, money does buy nice things. The down side, the cost of this build is approaching what I could by a new 2008 250 mx bike for, and then consider the depreciation factor on a MTN bike, almost like thowing $$$ out of the door. It sucks wanting to have the best of everything in life.

Any Psychologist's out there?

Any how, enough of my Psyco stuff, what do you guys recommend for shifting cable housings that work well on a Mojo? I was thinking red color.

For anyone using Marta breaks on a Med Mojo, is it necessary to cut the break lines for proper fit?

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Welcome to the guildy club .

My solution: spread buying parts over a few months, the craziness of expenditures becomes less noticable .

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Not Guilty here

I am lucky - my wife wants the same things in life that I do and has a Mojo with Chris King hubs.

Grams Light Bikes
    Oh, Sean to be young and childless! Sean I was just down at Pueblo South Shore and did the entire Lower Dog, it was too icy in spots to try it all last time I was in it. Your Wife was pretty stud going down it cause its just a tad wild! Tell her congrats on her progression in bike skills. Its only a quick 45-50 minute drive for me to get there so I have been enjoying it. I was testing a Moots Mooto-XZ (29 incher) down there and just last week got to use my Mojo, I miss those monster 29 incher's, they sure were fun on that Pueblo stuff.

To get my Mojo when it came out I had to sell old bikes parts and misc things on ebay and other places. I came to within couple of hundred dollars and the Wife let me slide on that one. I think if I had the list you had David I would have been killed or mutilated.

I left my Marta SL lines a bit long, nothing that were to hard to deal with, best to not open them up and have to re-bleed the lines if you don't have to. I always like having the factory set up, especially their stuff so its so incredibly engineered.

I use Alligator i-Links, which you can't get in this country. They are very trick and light but are a pain to work with. I have silver but would go with red when I feel like some newer ones. I not sure if I have seen anyone with anything but black, gray or silver on our bikes? Anyone? Might look pretty cool? Or might not?

Peace.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Oh, Sean to be young and childless! Sean I was just down at Pueblo South Shore and did the entire Lower Dog, it was too icy in spots to try it all last time I was in it. Your Wife was pretty stud going down it cause its just a tad wild! Tell her congrats on her progression in bike skills. Its only a quick 45-50 minute drive for me to get there so I have been enjoying it. I was testing a Moots Mooto-XZ (29 incher) down there and just last week got to use my Mojo, I miss those monster 29 incher's, they sure were fun on that Pueblo stuff.
    Peace.
    Childless, dog instead Not so young anymore, just coming up to the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Lower Dog was excellent fun. We both sketched a little on our first run down. The second I trained in behind Amber and it was good times. I need to stop and get some photos of some sections of that as I think it will be photogenic.

We missed getting to Pueblo this past weekend because of the football game excuse on Sunday and Amber having work to do on Saturday but we are planning on heading down there this coming sunday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It's called buyers remorse but I'm no shrink. I too love the high end things in life and can't stand poor quality anything. I built a spare no expenses bike and I think it's great!
    I'm going to be dead a long time so want to live while I'm alive.
    PS I just bought a BMW 325xi.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Gee, that session worked out nicely!

Any Psychologist's out there?

Any how, enough of my Psyco stuff, what do you guys recommend for shifting cable housings that work well on a Mojo? I was thinking red color.

For anyone using Marta breaks on a Med Mojo, is it necessary to cut the break lines for proper fit?

Nice work! I could be totally off-base, but I think you're cured! It appears to me that you have experienced an acute episode of guilt and like all things, it has passed!
    I like red too! SB

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    cost of a child till 18 is ~$250,000...cost of pack of condoms is $13... Mojo SL with XTR is $6500. $243,487 in savings!

I am budgeting the SL before kids, house is next, I figure buy all the toys now cause its all gonna go out the window when the family stuff comes.

Grams Light Bikes
    Don't forget to throw in the cost of College! Anyway nowadays its more like cost of a kid until 25-30! Got a couple of friends who got into their 30's staying at home, of course they are a bit strange!

You know my steez...

Jealousy sux

Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    - my wife wants the same things in life that I do and has a Mojo with Chris King hubs.
    I hate you
    My wife just got a Vital fitness recumbent exercise bike to spin on while she watches reality tv....

Oh well, at least I have beautiful active kids
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

You know my steez...

just downsize your dreams....

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonGhost
    .... I figure buy all the toys now cause its all gonna go out the window when the family stuff comes.
    That's not necessarily true. I've managed to get some toys post kids, they just weren't my top choices. I wanted a Boxster S, I ended up with a Mojo. Actually, I'm much happier with the Mojo ( I still want a Boxster though )

Neg reppers r my biatches
    being guilty is ghey. you will get over it and the more you buy things you dont need it will be easier and easier.....

and besides, your wife should be grateful you are not out spending your money on hookers and cocaine, which is a perfectly reasonable choice for married men

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Cost

Also, has anyone looked at the price of a golf country club membership lately or just playing the game for a day? Not that I'm a golfer

Now it's working

David

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm in the same boat as Sean only I have a cat and he is very happy to stay home while we go out and ride. My wifes new blue mojo is in at Calgary Cycle however we couldn't get there as the mountain pass was closed due to accidents and avalanche clearing. The next opportunity to go is in 3 weeks but the snow is deep so that makes the wait okay.
    Years ago I was talking to my friends about guilt and their 16 year old daughter looked at me and said, "Guilt sucks." I still agree.

Enjoy your ride
    Straw

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    ....and besides it's an investment in your physical and mental health that will pay huge dividends over the long haul. Think of it as preventative maintenance for the old body.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Never feel guilty about owning the best. Justify it with the fact that you will not cost the health system money, cause of how healthy it'll make you.
    Hell, I am still trying to figure if I should sell my 07 Mojo, cause I got a 08 MojoSL. Man, if I get the Tranny too, I'll have the entire Ibis line of bikes. Now I feel guilty!
    But only because I haven't got a Tranny! I'm being selfish to MYSELF!

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    your wife should be grateful you are not out spending your money on hookers and cocaine, which is a perfectly reasonable choice for married men
    HA! That's for sure! Now, back to eBay to buy expensive parts that I don't need......

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Rock on Ibisrox. There is absolutly nothing wrong with pursuing ones desires. Just think, if the Ibis gang hadn't pursued their desire to create the most beautiful bike going IMHO where would we be now. The pure enjoyment that I had dreaming about my mojo and then getting it and now riding it is to me the juice of life.

straw

Unpredictable
    No-one has suggested selling the wife on ebay!

boba
    Dec 2007

Selling your Wife on Ebay

Selling your wife on Ebay...Post a photo of her!....Are you offering demo's or are you parting her out.

bob

mtbr member

Stainless is a mistake

Don't get stainless appliances you'll spend your time cleaning them!

Go carbon it is much better

mtbr member

Ebay's got rules.....

Quote Originally Posted by bobAustin
    Selling your wife on Ebay...Post a photo of her!....Are you offering demo's or are you parting her out.

bob
    Ebay's got rules against selling "Human Body Parts", so I guess you'll have to sell her as a complete unit....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibisrox
    Justify it with the fact that you will not cost the health system money, cause of how healthy it'll make you.
    I have to chime in because ironically I just read an article yesterday in the WSJ with this headline: "Preventing Obesity and Smoking Saves Lives -- But Costs Big Bucks." The gist is that a Dutch study--which was aiming to find a link between living a healthy lifestyle and saving the healthcare system money--found just the opposite. Evidently it's much cheaper on the healthcare system in the long run for you to sit on your ass, smoke like a chimney, and die early and quickly of lung cancer or heart attack.

But aside from silly studies, I'm with all of you 100%. Find a healthy passion or three and feed them without guilt. Life's too short to ride a Turner!

Geritol Power

harsh truth about health care costs

Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving
    between living a healthy lifestyle and saving the healthcare system money--found just the opposite. Evidently it's much cheaper on the healthcare system in the long run for you to sit on your ass, smoke like a chimney, and die early and quickly of lung cancer or heart attack.
    That's what my doctor said the last time he scheduled me (again) for bone repair surgery. He's taken car of me after motorcycle racing, cliff diving, rock climbing and now mountain bikes