mtbr member

Mojo SL needs a paint job

The SLS starting to look a little bit haggard after a few years of abuse. I was wondering if anybody else's had their bikes repainted it has any suggestions on quality shot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hani1 View Post
    The SLS starting to look a little bit haggard after a few years of abuse. I was wondering if anybody else's had their bikes repainted it has any suggestions on quality shot.
    Did a Google search and stumbled across these guys. They do the OEM paint for Kestrel and Calfee Design. I'd feel good using them since they have tons of experience painting carbon fiber bike frames.

Bicycle Painting - Joe's Bicycle Painting

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    check out Ibis website:
    General FAQ | FAQ | Support | Ibis Cycles US

see general FAQ under suppot, click on question #10.
    Joe bicycle is there too.
    show us before and after pics, please.
    good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    check out Ibis website:
    General FAQ | FAQ | Support | Ibis Cycles US

see general FAQ under suppot, click on question #10.
    Joe bicycle is there too.
    show us before and after pics, please.
    good luck.
    Yep I have seen them listed on the site as well. If I take on the project I will definately post pics and share input on the experience.

screamer

sweat equity option

I researched this pretty heavily a couple of years ago, talked to a lot of people, and came to the conclusion that it was worth trying myself. (Won't share the reasons for that online, but if you want more detail just PM.)

So...

I wet sanded, primed, and sprayed with automotive paint, using Dupli-Color's highly durable Rim/Wheel product. 1 coat primer, 2 coats paint, 1 coat clear. I took the time/trouble to remove all the cable stops, and of course masked everything very carefully. The results came out really well, particularly with that metallic automotive paint. With some CNC-cut decals, liberal application of clear-bra film, and a new aluminum-finish headbadge from Ibis, it made for a fun, custom result and definitely an improvement over the clapped-out green stock paint. It held up well for 2 years of hard riding in sometimes godawful conditions, and is due for a touch-up.

There are some photos floating around on here somewhere. If you're up for a fun, time-consuming winter project, it's definitely do-able!
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Going to Plasti-Dip mine soon. I'll post some pictures when its done.