mtbr member

Mojo SL lifespan....

I bought a SL last summer and love the bike but am concerned if I should have bought an HD instead. I like to ride fast and aggressive hitting every jump and drop I can. Nothing too big though, 3-6 foot drops, med jumps, ect.

Do I need to be a little easier on the SL or will it hold up to the abuse? I weight about 155 and ride a small. For my area I think the HD would be overkill but would still love to get one for bigger stuff on road trips.

Thoughts??

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    I bought a SL last summer and love the bike but am concerned if I should have bought an HD instead. I like to ride fast and aggressive hitting every jump and drop I can. Nothing too big though, 3-6 foot drops, med jumps, ect.

Do I need to be a little easier on the SL or will it hold up to the abuse? I weight about 155 and ride a small. For my area I think the HD would be overkill but would still love to get one for bigger stuff on road trips.

Thoughts??
    Brian Lopes uses the SL as his main bike, and on occasion uses the HD for brutal stuff. I think that should answer your question (i.e he rides sick enough stuff on the SL)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The SL will hold up just fine, based on my experience and that of those on this forum.

However, I'd wager that even if you don't *need* an HD, you might have a lot more fun with one given the riding style you describe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    The SL will hold up just fine, based on my experience and that of those on this forum.

However, I'd wager that even if you don't *need* an HD, you might have a lot more fun with one given the riding style you describe.
    agreed^ I demoed the sl thinking that i would by one and replace the fox 32 with a 36 to keep up with the stiffness of the rear. then i heard they were making the HD spec'd for a 160mm fork up front and i decided to wait because that is more of the riding i like to do and wanted a more slacked out frame. to me they handle very similar but the Hd is more in line with constant abuse and not being super smooth like Lopes-

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I ride my SL like it's stolen and toss everything I can at the bike. To date, not a single problem except running out of daylight.

That Mojo is a strong frame built for the long haul.

www.derbyrims.com
    Jeff Kendal-Weed pictured here looking for the stress limits of the SL. Jeff is an Ibis employee and pro category DH racer.

He has failed to find the stress limits of the SL. Lopes has never broken an SL either.

Apparently the rider is the limiting factor for riding the SL.

The HD is stiffer, giving a more solid and stable feeling at 140mm travel, and can be run as a 160mm travel bike too, with up to 180mm fork. The SL is limited to a 160mm travel fork, per Ibis.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo SL lifespan....-jeff-mojo-forest_jump_web_1000.jpg  

Too Much Fun

Good job! Your SL will outlive you

Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    Do I need to be a little easier on the SL or will it hold up to the abuse?
    I've owned and ridden both the SL and the HD. Both are phenomenal. Both are incredibly strong. Don't bother considering the HD because of frame durability.

HD is a different handling frame, but the SL can take whatever.

Ride that bike with every fiber of your being. It can take it.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Exactly what those guys ^^^ said. Mojo SL 650b, 6' 4" 225 lbs. Ridden hard all over. Only thing I'm afraid of breaking is me!

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    Last edited by trap121; 11-08-2012 at 03:42 AM.