mtbr member
    Dec 2005

mojo sl down tube carbon frame protector...

is any after market company making a product like this? a light weight, thin, curved to fit carbon protector that curves down to the bb area and up a good length of the tube would, i'd imagine, be highly marketable to many mojo owners.

it could be affixed with double sided foam tape. every so often you could pull it off and clean under it. foam tape is cheap.

this design would leave a millimeter or two between carbon protector and frame to further dampen a blow.

any word if someone will make this? it would seem pretty easy to me for someone with some CF experience to make this.

mtbr member
    I was thinking something similar too. It could even utilize the water bottle cage mounts/bolts to attach to the frame so minimal/no other adhesives would be needed. This would be a great Ibis aftermarket part or something I'm sure a skilled craftsman could easily fabricate.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by plantdude
    I was thinking something similar too. It could even utilize the water bottle cage mounts/bolts to attach to the frame so minimal/no other adhesives would be needed. This would be a great Ibis aftermarket part or something I'm sure a skilled craftsman could easily fabricate.
    yes. i am reminded of motocross fork protectors i had once that was a thin layer of carbon and kevlar...maybe a couple mm thick or so. i don't really care what it is made out of; any pre-formed, thin composite should weigh very little and look nice.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    yes. i am reminded of motocross fork protectors i had once that was a thin layer of carbon and kevlar...maybe a couple mm thick or so. i don't really care what it is made out of; any pre-formed, thin composite should weigh very little and look nice.
    Something like this faux-carbon downtube protector from T.H.E.?

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...1&category=699

Or home made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Something like this faux-carbon downtube protector from T.H.E.?

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...1&category=699

Or home made.
    there you go. yes, similar...but not as ugly. a little more stealth would be appreciable for me.
    Last edited by mx_599; 01-19-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Trail Rider

Here is a picture of mine

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...84#post3811984

You can't tell it is even there from the side. It sits off of the tube in the middle, for more protection. I left the tape on the tube and the edges sit on the tape. It is being held on with the water bottle bolts. I left it a little long at the bottom, so the BB is shielded. I had to drill two holes in the fender, and did use longer bolts.You could probably go with a little wider fender, for side protection, but I looked at my Tracer, and most of the wear was in the center.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow! Now if mad max had a mountain bike I think that's pretty much what it would look like.... Joking aside, I think that the downtube protector is a great idea and I too think it could be molded in the same shape as the DT and be very low profile. I'd buy one.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Very good idea and easy to made.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The juiced up Mojo is sick, what a sight for sore eyes, just like rollers, there are some things you shouldn't do to your beloved Mojoooooo...

boba
    Dec 2007

downtube protectors

Motocross fork protectors are too heavy and ugly...but some Motorcycle Sport bikes have inverted forks, with the shiny slider at the bottom. I know I have seen carbon fibre half round tubes advertised to protect the forks or at least the lower parts. They attach to the upper part of the fork which is about the same size as the Mojo downtube and are about a foot long. I would search the web for some of the sport bike internet distributors. Buy a pair and sell one to another mojo owner or even better....buy a second bike!

bob austin, Vancouver Island. Kawasaki ZRX 1100 owner.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    there you go. yes, similar...but not as ugly. a little more stealth would be appreciable for me.
    Ugly? Very! I hate putting fenders on this great looking bike. But it's a far easier to clean up after a wet ride without mud sprayed all over me. And more important is that I can see while riding fast without water and mud in my eyes, and the drive train is protected. Very little mud spray hits the chain or derailleurs and gears. I don't get chain-suck problems on muddy rides anymore.

For dry conditions without fenders a couple layers of black plastic tape on the downtube is stealth on my clear finish and has worked well to protect from rock spray off the front tire. I haven't "cased" my downtube wrecking on a giant rock in over 25 years of trail bike riding, but it could happen I guess. I rarely crash bad, and I'm getting too old to risk my body as much as in my youth and usually get off and hike through when it's that gnarly.

The fenders don't look so bad from this angle:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That down tube solution could be found if someone ( any inventors out there ? ) was to invent some type of hardened cloth like sacking ( ''Hesian'' , is it ? Or even denim ?? ) that is durable and has velcro sown into it in order to fasten around the t downtube and is easily removed for cleaning as well. It might just work as I have found with a piece of rag that I once experimented with. The tougher the cloth the better the protection I imagine.
    Of course if you are a weight weenie then your ride is going to increase slightly as you stick new pieces on to it like in those pics... As for the rest of the bike, it will eventually get trashed like all things, and if it's carbon as all Mojos are, then it's just a question of time before the paint gets chipped & more.... That's inevitable with ALL rides but then again that's why we ride dirty and the rougher we go, the more thrills ( without the spills if it can be avoided !!! ) we'll have : Unless of course, you bought your Mojo just to pose...

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by richmck
    That down tube solution could be found if someone ( any inventors out there ? ) was to invent some type of hardened cloth like sacking ( ''Hesian'' , is it ? Or even denim ?? ) that is durable and has velcro sown into it in order to fasten around the t downtube and is easily removed for cleaning as well. It might just work as I have found with a piece of rag that I once experimented with. The tougher the cloth the better the protection I imagine.
    Of course if you are a weight weenie then your ride is going to increase slightly as you stick new pieces on to it like in those pics... As for the rest of the bike, it will eventually get trashed like all things, and if it's carbon as all Mojos are, then it's just a question of time before the paint gets chipped & more.... That's inevitable with ALL rides but then again that's why we ride dirty and the rougher we go, the more thrills ( without the spills if it can be avoided !!! ) we'll have : Unless of course, you bought your Mojo just to pose...
    You would want something that didn't rest on the CF tube(totally). It would take the impact and not damage the tube. A big jagged rock flying up could damage the protector, which could be replaced. The space between the protector and the frame is for the protector to absorb the impact, bend and even shatter, without damaging the tube itself. A rock hitting say a piece of Kevlar, like on some seats would protect from superficial damage, but not impact damage that might go below the outside coating. It would be something like an engine bash guard on motorcycles. Some kind of Kevlar hardened composite that had some give to it, maybe?
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    You would want something that didn't rest on the CF tube(totally). It would take the impact and not damage the tube. A big jagged rock flying up could damage the protector, which could be replaced. The space between the protector and the frame is for the protector to absorb the impact, bend and even shatter, without damaging the tube itself. A rock hitting say a piece of Kevlar, like on some seats would protect from superficial damage, but not impact damage that might go below the outside coating. It would be something like an engine bash guard on motorcycles. Some kind of Kevlar hardened composite that had some give to it, maybe?
    exactly. that is why something custom molded and light affixed with some double sided foam tape would be perfect

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Point taken.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Ok, it's not Carbon

But it does a great job of protecting the downtube.And for the WW it's less than a 100 grams.If you are in the Santa Cruz area you can check check it out at Another Bike Shop
    or here......
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=16047&cat=30
    Bolts on waterbottle mounts, deigned to fit on the Mojo with the "minimalist in mind", nothing else like it! Questions? Email me, ALex

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    your fender bike looks more like a motocross bike from far. Haha. Interesting
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatingbull
    But it does a great job of protecting the downtube.And for the WW it's less than a 100 grams.If you are in the Santa Cruz area you can check check it out at Another Bike Shop
    or here......
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=16047&cat=30
    Bolts on waterbottle mounts, deigned to fit on the Mojo with the "minimalist in mind", nothing else like it! Questions? Email me, ALex
    I have one of Alex's prototypes on my Mojo. It looks excellent and is very tough. I'll get a pic soon. It is shorter than my homemade solution, but is a little wider. Weight weenies could use some shorter Ti bolts, if you don't use a water bottle cage. It looks quite stealth on my naked carbon frame.
    [size=4]Don[/size]